Dream Computer

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

someone
Masochist

Dream Computer

Post by someone »

Just curious on what a dream computer is to others. Cant build mine at the moment because I cant afford it hence the (dream), and some of the components cant be bought yet. x99 chipset and the cpu to go with it. Apart from that.

1.) a custom case, that uses novec 7000 as an immersion coolant
2.) 6 Samsung 850 1 TB drives
3.) 2 Blue ray burners
4.) 4 way Crossfire with the top of the line card ( sorry, hadn't done the research yet, this was a spur of the moment post)
5.) a 300watt PSU ( For the fancy light show )
6.) 64 Gigs DDR4
7.) USB pet rock
8.) all in one flash reader with FLOPPY !
9.) 4 monitors but 1 has to be monochrome
kode54
Zealot

Re: Dream Computer

Post by kode54 »

I converted to Macfag, so my dream PC is one of those trashcan shaped Mac Pro computers. And maybe one of those new MacBook Pro laptops with a high PPI screen and dedicated graphics.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I pretty much have the computer that I need and wouldn't benefit from more. Modern CPUs like the i7-4790 are only maybe 20% faster at best in some benchmarks than my i7-2600; more like 5% in plenty of others. Doesn't really seem all that attractive until we can get something that's a solid at least 30% faster across the board. I don't need much in a graphics card. RAM is cheap and easily available, storage is cheap, etc.

My current build I'm looking towards is more storage based:
low power Atom or i3/i5
maybe 4-8GB RAM, possibly loading OS in to RAM.
boatloads of hard disks + OS on small, fast SSD, or CF card or my old SSD something if it's being loaded in to RAM.
probably some kind of decent power supply to supply all the disks, might even set up a system where the disks can be on some kind of electrically latching power buttons or something or timed start system, but I doubt I'll have more than like 6 or 8 disks so that'd just be overkill, hehe.
for a case, I've found some kind of cheapie but should be OK removable hard disk caddies, 4x3.5" disks per 3x 5.25" bay. Found a few cases with 6+ 5.25" bays, and when I go to build this, I'm sure there will be some available.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

someone wrote:>powerful cpu
>6 ssd
>4 "top of the line" ATI cards
>300W
hahahahhahahahaha

hahahaha
haha

You're looking at 2KW bro, not 300.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
someone
Masochist

Post by someone »

An adequate PSU will not give me the fancy lightshow :mrgreen:

Oh, and im adding a 5 1/4 floppy to my list
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

someone wrote:An adequate PSU will not give me the fancy lightshow :mrgreen:

Oh, and im adding a 5 1/4 floppy to my list
Why not 8"? Go big or go home.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
someone
Masochist

Post by someone »

Why not 8"? Go big or go home.
No kidding, I have found a kit to convert a 5 1/4" drive to usb. No such luck for an 8" ( Been looking tough )

Oh, and I have noticed when I (quote) it just has (quote) in my post. However others have quoted others, and it has ( so-and-so wrote ) How do you do that? :?:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

someone wrote: Oh, and I have noticed when I (quote) it just has (quote) in my post. However others have quoted others, and it has ( so-and-so wrote ) How do you do that? :?:
Dark magicks.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
someone
Masochist

Post by someone »

MWA HA HA :twisted: