Is a debugger still available ?

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
lint_

Is a debugger still available ?

Post by lint_ »

Hi,

I have seen that in the past bsnes had an integrated debugger. Is that feature still avlaible ? I'm currently using snes9x from geiger with debug capability but it sometimes lacks of certain fonctionnality. I was wondering if any other active emulator was able to do debugger

++ Lint
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

It hasn't been updated to work with changes in bsnes.

--Lint;
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Nightcrawler »

While we're talking about Geiger's debugger. Does anyone have the source code for this? Being for SNES9x 1.41, it's severely outdated. I was hoping to port his debugging code to SNES9x 1.51, though I think that's wishful thinking as I bet the implementation is not modular in nature like that by a long shot.

Anyway, we really need a decent up to date SNES debugger. We're stuck in 2005.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
neviksti
Lurker

Post by neviksti »

I've never really needed anything more than Sleuth's debugger for most things (although breakpoint on memory access would be useful at times). Granted, I'm not a romhacker. What all does Geiger's build do beyond this?

Oh, I also remember seeing a teaser build of a debugger window for zsnes from pagefault a long time ago. Is that still being worked on?
byuu

Post by byuu »

I took out the fully functional debugger with a UI and core rewrite in v014.

The main reason I haven't re-added it is that I'm unable to implement savestates. That alone severely hinders most uses for a SNES debugger. Unlike most PC software, it can take hours to get to a certain point in a SNES program.

The second reason is because I want to keep the Windows and Linux ports in sync. I did recently get the font size somewhat under control (the default GTK+ font on my PC is still wider than Tahoma/Win32), but I still have a lot to do there.

One, I need to create an API to specify monospace fonts for controls. Two, I need to determine the actual size of each monospace char, including padding, so that I can dynamically size the debugger window based on this to fit a specific number of XxY characters without scrolling or lots of blank space. Three, I need to see if it's even possible to get as much control as I had with Win32 editboxes to do things like jump the cursor selection around and smooth scroll text to simulate a terminal. Three, I'd have to figure out a nicer way to add the hooks. The old v013 debugger hooks were really nasty and had significant speed hits (just the if(debugger_enabled == true) checks when false in critical areas) unless the entire debugger was compiled out of the emulator.

There's some alternatives for the last one: function pointers, derived debug-enabled classes, etc. But I really need to think about it before jumping in to writing another debugger.

Lastly, there's the fact that bsnes v014 and above were no longer opcode-based emulators. The ability to cycle step and such is not something most people would care about, but it does cause issues you don't see in opcode-based emulators, such as H/DMA and DRAM refresh occurring right in between your opcodes.

I'm also really torn on whether to design a console or a UI-based debugger. The console is definitely faster and more flexible, but has a steeper learning curve.

All of that makes a debugger not very useful for others, and me being able to easily manipulate the source means I essentially have the ultimate debugger already (break on the 37th write of an even number to $7e2162 while the screen is enabled on line 216? No problem). Sucks for you guys, though :P

For the time being, I do have a tracing interface for the CPU and SMP, with optional masking, but you have to compile your own version to enable it. See src/snes/tracer/tracer.h for the API.
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

It's easy, you provide a cli interface like gdb, and other fanatics will write the gui for that interface for you. Problem solved.