BS-X technical discussion

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

byuu wrote:The base unit has very primitive RTC functionality, and the most simplistic modem faking around. It's bad enough that I don't think it fools anything. Need more info to emulate that stuff further. Or a base unit to run my own tests on, which seems unlikely. I can't even find one for sale in Japan.
There's on on ebay right now but it's exorbitantly priced. I don't know what the deal is these days, I used to see them pop up every now and then a few years back for $200. Wish I had snagged one then.

And of course, I rarely ever see collectors coming onto emulation forums to make donations. You would think that anyone obsessed enough to buy these things would be interested in emulation stuff as well, but it's actually the opposite. They just buy them to put them in a closet. I'm consistently paying more than I should on ebay carts. I think the other day, I sniped a lot with a minute left and it was 18 with my max of 32, and with five seconds left, one person topped it to win at 33. If that one person did not exist, I would have won at 18 rather than lost at 33. Totally sick of it.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

Yeah i hear a lot of complaints about this.

A trader friend of mine has hard limits for each purchase, waits till the last second and types in his limit, he wins or loses, he doesn't really care as he can use the money to buy something else.

More often than not though a bidding war starts and his limit gets crossed
byuu

Post by byuu »

Holy shit, wow. $600. I wouldn't even want it, even as a donation, at that price. I'd feel too obligated to pull off miracles that I may not be able to. It does look to be in amazing condition, though.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

emulation technically negates the value of the hardware, so its not in the collector's best interest to help out with emulation.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

byuu wrote:Holy shit, wow. $600. I wouldn't even want it, even as a donation, at that price. I'd feel too obligated to pull off miracles that I may not be able to. It does look to be in amazing condition, though.
Yeah, I wouldn't care what the price was if I felt that I could turn around and resell it back for that price. But it's overpriced by at least $300, so I will keep waiting.

Speaking of expensive...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0253330747
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I guest we still missing a lot of dumps. :shock:
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

FitzRoy wrote:Speaking of expensive...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0253330747
HOLY SMOKES...
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
byuu

Post by byuu »

The worst part is that it's not even truly complete. For instance, he doesn't have all the variants of the same games (eg DKJM v1.0 + v1.1), some of them being much more rare Nintendo Power only releases. I also didn't see the individual Sufami Turbo slot games, the Pachinko controller, the CD-ROM music player add-on thing, and stuff like that.

And even with all that, you're only talking about one region out of up to ~18 (only 3 that are substantial in size.)
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Holy shit that's a lot of games.

It brings up the question; would he actually manage to sell all that? I mean, no-one on ebay would be able to pay that amount, unless they are super rich (and there aren't too many of those around; and of the very rich, I doubt many of them will care about SNES games).

Still, I can find those on *** ***** so I think it would be a rip off to buy all those games.
(*** ***** was put there by me; we're not allowed to say "*** ****" here, so I put the asterisks there myself).

If I was the person with all those games, I would actually sell it 20 years from now; that's when SNES units will be so rare that they sell for at least $10,000; a full set of games would also be more expensive.

I actually saw a mint condition copy of chrono trigger on ebay; factory sealed too (never opened) --> it sold for about $5000. Still, accounting for inflation since 1995, he wouldn't make the same profit as if he managed to sell it for that amount in 1995 (still a lot of money just for one game though).
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

He actually has a bunch of games that no-intro is missing

It really sucks that a lot of these people are not emu freindly
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Hopefully someone rich will one day buy these collections and make clean dumps for emu developers (and us gamers) to use. *Hopefully*

On a random note,
But as the architect says in the film "Matrix, Reloaded" -- "Hope... It is the quaint essential of all human delusions, simultaneously your greatest strength and your greatest weakness". 8)
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Franky wrote:Hopefully someone rich will one day buy these collections and make clean dumps for emu developers (and us gamers) to use. *Hopefully*
Don't hold your breath. For example, there's prototypes of the Genesis games Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 (with MJ's music) out there being hoarded by game collectors, and they won't dump them or provide any information about them. Oh, and don't forget about the Sonic X-Treme auction for $3,000 for a 1 level barely playable demo.

Hell, Super Mario Wacky Worlds was only available for download because some guy from the Lost Levels website was nice enough to pay $1,500 for the CDI prototype and rip it for everyone to have.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
earbenT

Post by earbenT »

These collectors apparently want to ensure that these rare games are lost forever in time once the original carts have stopped functioning. What a shame.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

It's not a problem to buy these expencive items, dump and resell them. But not if they're overpriced.

If you buy, dump, resell and wait 6months before releasing you have a nice balance
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Dullaron wrote:I guest we still missing a lot of dumps. :shock:
Well, not really. We know there are still undumped revisions, we just don't know where. A set that large probably means he unwittingly has a few. I'm just basing this on the prevalence of them being discovered today. Y~K found about 20 from Japan in the past year before he disappeared.

The SNES' internal checksums pretty much means that existing dumps are good. Of the 1000 redumps so far, not a single one has revealed another "ok" checksum to be a hack. This is because:

(a) a good checksum is a prerequisite to being considered a good dump
(b) hacking a fake checksum is unlikely, because the combination of motive and skill to do it doesn't really exist
(c) even if someone did do it, it doesn't prevent the unmodified dump from surfacing alongside it and raising the flag on one of them.

That's not to say we shouldn't verify data for the SNES, but anyone who says our current set might be full of hacked checksums is paranoid and doesn't know the facts.

The real advantage of an auction like this, if it were not overpriced, is that you'd save yourself a lot of time having to buy from smaller auctions.
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

He has Star Fox 2.
Where's the rest of the unreleased games that have turned up over the years? :lol:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Franky wrote: If I was the person with all those games, I would actually sell it 20 years from now; that's when SNES units will be so rare that they sell for at least $10,000; a full set of games would also be more expensive.
Except that's hopelessly naive on your part.

Check what an Atari, Intellivision, or Colecovision goes for now.
Partially because the hardware isn't very prone to failure, keeping supply high. Disk-based systems may see larger spikes with age.

About the only systems to retain any semblance of value are the NeoGeo and the Vectrex, and that's only because they had limited distribution in the first place.
Even the incredibly rare japanese Vectrex(a rarity-10 "holy grail" according to DigitPress), complete in box, doesn't sell for 20 grand. At the peak of the Vectrex market a few years back, they went for A grand.

And NeoGeo prices are all kinds of fucked up because the community is playing mind games with itself because everyone wants to inflate the value of their specific revision of the hardware.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Hmm, his Chrono Trigger box looks different than mine. I have a MIB japanese Chrono Trigger and it shows all the characters on the front. His appears to just have the title, unless I'm mistaking it for a variant or something.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

You gotta read the auction better. It's probably the V-Jump or Sample version you're looking at.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Thanks for the reply FitzRoy.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

FitzRoy wrote:You gotta read the auction better. It's probably the V-Jump or Sample version you're looking at.
Do I gotta, huh?

The image shows the sample Rom box on the bottom (I can read a decent amount of japanese). The top box does not state anything about "V Jump". Its merely reads "Kurono Torigaa" which is just the title.

Edit: it may be that he just doesn't show the 3rd box, which might be the normal japanese box. No biggy either way.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Sorry for continuing to hijack the thread, but a cookie to the person who can name the only non-bsx, licensed commercial game yet to be dumped.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

FitzRoy wrote:Sorry for continuing to hijack the thread, but a cookie to the person who can name the only non-bsx, licensed commercial game yet to be dumped.
That's too easy :(

Super Mario Club Taikai You (Japan)
Eiga Shoukai Soft - Mizu no Tabinin (Japan) < possibly does not exist
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Actually, I was referring to "Mountain Bike Rally + Speed Racer." What evidence have you that either one of those Japanese games exist? I can't even find a single reference on google beyond no-intro's list, that's abnormal for something which supposedly exists. Collectors would be buzzing about it somewhere.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

FitzRoy wrote:Actually, I was referring to "Mountain Bike Rally + Speed Racer." What evidence have you that either one of those Japanese games exist? I can't even find a single reference on google beyond no-intro's list, that's abnormal for something which supposedly exists. Collectors would be buzzing about it somewhere.
I agree.

I think that mountain bike speed racer doesn't exist either, i didn't name it because we already have a game that looks a suspicially lot like it