FFVII Reunion Pack is crap

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

FFVII Reunion Pack is crap

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Anyone ever heard of this pack? http://youtube.com/watch?v=kVOFZ5JK830 Supposed to make FFVII for the PC look amazing (world graphics are the models used in-battle, so they're hi-res). Now, here's the issue; I installed FFVII for my PC, right? Well, there is just one problem...FFVII PC does NOT work on Windows XP/vista even after changing the compatibility mode to "Windows 98/2000", which is the OS it worked on. When I installed said Reunion Patch, I load the game, and I hear the Eidos loading sequence, but when I choose "new game" or "load game" the game does NOT load. Why someone would make a patch for a game that was never meant to be run on newer OSes is beyond me. Do any effective workarounds exist? No.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

IIRC, FF7PC required a patch to make it work with modern video cards, which is probably what you need.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Naw, FF7 is just plain fucked on PC.

Eidos USED to offer a link to an unofficial patch that's supposed to make it work in NT-based OSes, with the emphasis that it WAS NOT official and they offered NO support for FF7 on anything other than Win9x.
Dunno if they still do.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

I remember I got it work on XP just fine with some unofficial pack. One problem; I forgot what it was called! Sure it crashed in the Temple of the Ancients, but it at least worked. Anyone way of getting it work?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

*checks*
Yup, Eidos still links to the unofficial patch. It's the first thing you find when you search their support page for "final fantasy"

Am I the only person that thinks to check the developer and publisher support pages?
diminish

Post by diminish »

Dunno about the patches, but what can drive off from that PC conversion is midi sound which isn't even half quality of that from PS one (on AC'97, maybe little better with some Creative), is it even possible to get it sounding right? I tried with some Yamaha driver with different instrument tables (or smth, not sure), but it didn't help much.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

There are patches that make the music into PSFs. I did find what was called "FFVII PC XP Patch 1.3" here http://www.download.com/3001-7539_4-101 ... 5cf30f820d
but I'm afraid it's that notorious AnimeVamp (or whatever) patch that screws up the game altogether. I can't find the Eidos one at all. Not even in the forums. Any suggestions?
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=2670.0

Everything you need to run FFVII in Windows XP.

However, instead of the movie patch, I'd recommend just finding the TrueMotion 2.0 codec (tm20dec.ax). It's not too hard to locate with Google.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

diminish wrote:Dunno about the patches, but what can drive off from that PC conversion is midi sound which isn't even half quality of that from PS one (on AC'97, maybe little better with some Creative), is it even possible to get it sounding right? I tried with some Yamaha driver with different instrument tables (or smth, not sure), but it didn't help much.
There were a lot of different attempts.

The game DID include a soundfont for Creative's stuff, but it wasn't very good. Which lead to some fans making a FF7 soundfont that added a lot to the music.

And of course, there's the Yamaha synthesizer that was packed in with the game.

It's been years since I messed with it, and I sold my copy ages ago, so I couldn't tell you what works and what doesn't.
But most of the music was generic uninspired crap anyways, so... let the flames begin.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:But most of the music was generic uninspired crap anyways, so... let the flames begin.
OOOOOOH NO HE DIDN'T!!
I bring the trouble.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

alexz721 wrote:http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=2670.0

However, instead of the movie patch, I'd recommend just finding the TrueMotion 2.0 codec (tm20dec.ax). It's not too hard to locate with Google.
Thanks! I'll give it a try, and Gil_Hamilton, I do admit the PC version's music sucked crap, but with a patch, it completely replaced them with .PSF files.

Edit 5:49 PM: managed to get the PSF patch, too; http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5387.0 And when it comes to installing the patches, what's the best (or rather, most effective) order of applying them? Say I want the PSF patch with version 1.02 and the Reunion patch...is that a wise thing to do?
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

changing the quality of the same music doesn't make it non-generic
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:
alexz721 wrote:http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=2670.0

Thanks! I'll give it a try, and Gil_Hamilton, I do admit the PC version's music sucked crap, but with a patch, it completely replaced them with .PSF files.

Edit 5:49 PM: managed to get the PSF patch, too; http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5387.0 And when it comes to installing the patches, what's the best (or rather, most effective) order of applying them? Say I want the PSF patch with version 1.02 and the Reunion patch...is that a wise thing to do?
1.02 should always be installed first, aside from that, I don't know. I'm not entirely sure it matters. Check the documentation or search the forums there. Also, don't forget the Chocobo patch so the chocobo race doesn't crash.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote: Thanks! I'll give it a try, and Gil_Hamilton, I do admit the PC version's music sucked crap, but with a patch, it completely replaced them with .PSF files.
And?
When I said most of the music was generic and uninspired crap, I wasn't referring specifically to the PC version.

Besides, the PC version's music is based on the PS version's. They just don't have the advantage of a consistent music player feature set*

*Unless they just assume General MIDI, in which case they have a somewhat limiting choices of instruments, and there's STILL no guarantee the samples are of any reasonable quality.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

*Unless they just assume General MIDI, in which case they have a somewhat limiting choices of instruments, and there's STILL no guarantee the samples are of any reasonable quality.
Well, the samples are crap, but the synth itself ain't bad at all. It supported GM2 effects like portamento and stuffles. Heck, there is a Yamaha XG VST floating around on the internetz...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

mudlord wrote:
Well, the samples are crap, but the synth itself ain't bad at all. It supported GM2 effects like portamento and stuffles. Heck, there is a Yamaha XG VST floating around on the internetz...
Well, I meant just basic "General MIDI" support gets you a specific set of samples and commands supported, but it makes no statement as to the quality of those samples. The Yamaha synthesizer packed in was XG, wasn't it?
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

FFVII PC worked just fine for me in XP, and that was installing on a laptop with probably generic hardware.
The only XP issue I heard of and experienced was that the Chocobo race would crash the game.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Oh, I got past the Chobobo races fine a couple of years ago, it was when I was at the part when you escape from Rocket Town on the Tiny Bronco. When the FMV started up, the chase scene music plays but there was nothing on the screen and had to ctrl+alt+del the program. Maybe I'll get lucky this time and actually COMPLETE the game. Boy, that'll be the day when someone can beat FFVII on Windows XP!
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Boy, that'll be the day when I can beat FFVII on Windows XP!
Fixed.
I bring the trouble.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

You might want this fix too.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=5124.0 Mini game / battle swirl crash fix. Get YAMP and the minigame patch

Edit: Man I should read the topic..
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Boy, that'll be the day when I can beat FFVII on Windows XP!
Fixed.
I beat FFVII on Windows XP. Using pSX Emulator. Fast forward grindan gaems ftw.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

kode54 wrote:
DancemasterGlenn wrote:
Fixed.
I meant the PC version; I've yet to hear of someone being able to do that.
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

Um, I beat the shit out of the PC version on XP. Why would it be a challenge?
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:
kode54 wrote:
DancemasterGlenn wrote:
Fixed.
I meant the PC version; I've yet to hear of someone being able to do that.
Original version in emulator is still more compatible, but you don't get the XG music or 640x480 resolution menus and dialogs. Small price to pay, though.