Difference between SNES emulators -- colour

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

ZH/Franky

Difference between SNES emulators -- colour

Post by ZH/Franky »

I've noticed recently that except from bsnes, the colours in various snes emulators all look the same; colours looks darker and more vibrant on bsnes.

Why is this?
(look at the images below to see what I mean. Click on the thumbnails to see the images in full size. The emulator on the left is snes9x, the emulator on the top right is zsnes, and the one on the bottom right is bsnes)

Last edited by ZH/Franky on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

bsnes uses a gamma ramp.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

...A colour ramp that is totally and utterly biased and subjective, since byuu's partially colourblind.

No offense meant, but that's probably the funniest thing I ever saw in my snes emu time.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Please don't post images that large ever again. Think of the children, if you really need a reason.
I bring the trouble.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:Please don't post images that large ever again. Think of the children, if you really need a reason.
lol slow internets
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

My internets are fast enough, but yes, I'm thinking of the children. With slow internets.

That and a shot of his entire desktop was completely unnecessary, when he could have taken 3 separate small screenshots for his comparison.
I bring the trouble.
byuu

Post by byuu »

grinvader wrote:...A colour ramp that is totally and utterly biased and subjective, since byuu's partially colourblind.

No offense meant, but that's probably the funniest thing I ever saw in my snes emu time.
It looks better to everyone I've ever asked to look at it in real life, and it came from Overload / Super Sleuth, who is (most likely) not colorblind.

Anyway, if you don't like it, you can click here:

ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I prefer the colours like that. It makes games look clearer (and nicer to look at).

Is there a way to change the gamma settings in Snes9x/Zsnes?

EDIT:
DancemasterGlenn wrote:Please don't post images that large ever again. Think of the children, if you really need a reason.
DancemasterGlenn wrote:My internets are fast enough, but yes, I'm thinking of the children. With slow internets.

That and a shot of his entire desktop was completely unnecessary, when he could have taken 3 separate small screenshots for his comparison.
Hmm, ok then. I've edited my first post so that the images are thumbnails; click on them to see the images fullsize.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky, have you looked in the cfg or the GUI or even the manual? It doesn't sound like it to me.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Ok then, I'll take a look.

EDIT: I looked in the file ~/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg and found

NTSCGamma=0
But that can only be used with the NTSC filter right? I quite like the NTSC filter so it shouldn't be a problem, but it would be nice to have a gamma setting for everything else. The only problem is that the NTSC option doesn't show up when I use a video setting that requires opengl.

I couldn't find a gamma option in snes9x's GUI, or in it's config file ( ~/.snes9x/snes9x.xml ).
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

kode54 wrote:
lol slow internets
not wanting to invoke the horizontal scroll bar is fine too
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Franky wrote:Ok then, I'll take a look.

NTSCGamma=0
But that can only be used with the NTSC filter right? I quite like the NTSC filter so it shouldn't be a problem, but it would be nice to have a gamma setting for everything else. The only problem is that the NTSC option doesn't show up when I use a video setting that requires opengl.
Look further down. You didn't look hard enough.

I don't think Snes9x has such an option though.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

grinvader wrote:...A colour ramp that is totally and utterly biased and subjective, since byuu's partially colourblind.
Applying gamma correction isn't exactly color science; in fact, it's applied equally to color channels, so even someone with no color vision would stil see the proper effect.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Franky wrote:Ok then, I'll take a look.

NTSCGamma=0
Look further down. You didn't look hard enough.

I don't think Snes9x has such an option though.
Oops, silly old me.
I looked in ~/.zsnes/zsnesl.cfg again and found:

gammalevel=0
and

KeyIncreaseGamma=0
KeyDecreaseGamma=0
I'll have a little play around with those values, then.
Thanks for your help Deathlike2.
byuu

Post by byuu »

One thing to note is that the gamma ramp checkbox is there in addition to a regular gamma control.

The reason is because the former does something the latter cannot: it darkens only the lower (darker) half of the ramp by making it bend the colors even darker, but it leaves the upper (brighter) half of the ramp alone with no changes.

The effect helps to get rid of "washed out" looking grays (Zelda 3 while its raining outside is my favorite example), but you need a good monitor without a lot of sunlight on the screen -- otherwise the darkest colors will blend together, making some details much harder to see.

Bending the upper colors as well would lessen the vibrancy of the effect. I don't know how Overload came up with this idea, but it's really awesome (opinion).
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:
lol slow internets
not wanting to invoke the horizontal scroll bar is fine too
no horizontal scroll bar neccessary at 1440x900 suckas
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:no horizontal scroll bar neccessary at 1440x900 suckas
You don't have it only because it's firmly stuck up your butt.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

grinvader wrote:
PHoNyMiKe wrote:no horizontal scroll bar neccessary at 1440x900 suckas
You don't have it only because it's firmly stuck up your butt.
If you're suggesting what I think you are suggesting (based on something I've seen this guy say in another thread somewhere), then that's not a very nice (or respectful) thing to say. Assuming that I'm correct in what I think you meant by that comment, let me tell you; that statement is rude, and just shows how much of a homophobe you really are.

Not that you'll care, but if I'm correct in my thinking, then you've just lost all of my respect.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I think you need to spend a bit more time online franky, even I can see that it is a joke.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Way to fail at the Internets, Franky. There is something inherently funny at franpa chastising you for this.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I wonder if Franky had any respect for us to begin with, consider we bash him and all..
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Is that a rhetorical question?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

adventure_of_link wrote:I wonder if Franky had any respect for us to begin with, consider we bash him and all..
Well, the only reason you guys bashed me before is because of my previous stupidity and agressiveness. You had every reason to bash me, but I love you all really.

But please note, that while I respect most people here, I respect the emulator programmers the most (and people who help out, even if they're not programmers; people like FitzRoy who test games on a given emulator are an example of this).

And franpa, you should know that jokes are hard to detect on web forums where all you see is text. If I saw grin say that in real life, and he was joking, he'd put on some kind of facial expression and tone of voice, so people would know he's joking. You don't have any proof that he was joking, but at the same time I don't have any proof that he was beign serious. But, grin has displayed the same attitude in other posts besides the one he left in this thread a few posts above this one, so for now I conclude that yes, he meant what he said.

Also, I've known about a lot of engineers/scientists/etc that are like this towards those kind of people or have the personality that would allow them to. Finally, not many people make "jokes" like that about gays. Usually when people say those things, they mean it seriously as some kind of insult.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

franpa wrote:I think you need to spend a bit more time online franky, even I can see that it is a joke.
Sorry, you're wrong:
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

blargg wrote:Image
Hehe, that picture is totally going on my hard drive. Isn't he that guy who also stars in a lot of war-based films and always has that "angry" kind of attitude? You know, like some tough-nut military commando?