So, Parasite Eve 3 is going to be on a normal console after

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

I.S.T.
Zealot

So, Parasite Eve 3 is going to be on a normal console after

Post by I.S.T. »

all.

HUZZAH!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169128

And, apparently they've shifted the entire project to the PSP rather than just multiplatforming it.

<3 for Square. Now, let's see if they do the intelligent thing and don't model the game after PE2. All of the people who worked on that title have a special place in hell next to the idiots that decided to fire the XenoSaga writers after Episode 2.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I gather it plays totally different from PE1 AND PE2(unsurprising, given it's a cellphone game).

Personally, I vastly prefer PE2 from a gameplay perspective. Getting rid of the "real-time motion + time-bar action" mess, and the completely nuts weapon customization system made for a much more realistic game, which matters in a game with a real-world setting.

PE1 was better written, though.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

According to that link, no real PE3 info's come out yet.

As for PE2, I'll sum up why I hate it so much in one sentence: Fucking Resident Evil.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Resident Evil with near-limitless ammo!
Actaully, I think RE4 might've taken hints from PE2. That or parallel evolution.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I'll rephrase: Fucking old style Resident Evil controls.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Horrible fucking lack of awesome music.
Where the fuck is Liberate.
I loved the customisation.

*cough*
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:Horrible fucking lack of awesome music.

*cough*
The problem with the customization was it seriously damaged the realism when you were running around with a handgun that carried 500 exploding penetrating incendiary tranquilizer darts.

It's all well and good until you consider that this is New
York city, 1999, and every weapon in the game is a real gun except for Maeda's gun and the clubs(does anyone actually use those?).

Certainly PE1 had the better writing and soundtrack, but the gameplay of PE2 was a lot better, and more fitting to the game's environment(even it it had a Laser rifle and a railgun that threw you 20 feet every time you fired it). Which goes a long way towards explaining why I RECOMMEND PE1, but I PLAY PE2.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:damaged the realism
I don't quite give a damn about realism in a game where mitochondrias are starting to develop a shared sentience. It was an awesome game, and I had little issue toting around with my... lemme check a minute.

*hooks up ps1*
*boots up pe*

... my modded P90 'P137G' with 500 in attack, 340 in range and bullets, with first strike, triple action, crit up, acid-tranquilizer-cyanide-explosive bullets (fuck random shot).
Yumm.
I like Disgaea, remember ? All about making the numbers go higher.
My fun's got little to do with realism, else I'd take pot shots at morons in the street.

Oh side note: fuckshithell this new lcd tv doesn't like old ps1 signal. holy fuck that's horrible.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:Oh side note: fuckshithell this new lcd tv doesn't like old ps1 signal. holy fuck that's horrible.
Quite the mindfuck, isn't it?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

That's why CRT rules. It handles weird-ass video signals so much better.

We'll see how long I can keep this presentation monitor I have running. I'm not looking forward to going digital.

And I'm Texan. We take our guns seriously. :P

P90 as a base, huh? Those are pretty neat guns IRL.
Too bad most PE1 automatic weapons had that "confusion" effect going on.

*sticks PE1 in the PS2(my PS1 is DEAD! :( )*

My gun began life as a DE50AE7(A .50-cal Desert Eagle? I'm somewhat embarrassed by that.).
It was affectionately renamed "Red Riot." (I was VERY big on Shogo at the time of my last clear, and and it was one-shotting pretty much everything, so it seemed to fit).

Attack is 333, range is 174, ammo is 132(almost all in bonus points, it has a base of 15 rounds). Not the biggest gun in the world, but it worked.
I've got 5x shots, counterattack, quickdraw, triple-action, critical up, acid, tranq, cyanide, and burst-fire(which was so horribly broken in PE1...).

Far as numbers go, I wish PE2 exposed more of them. While attack power is primarily ammo-based, gun selection is responsible for critical hit rate, which is a hidden stat.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Agozer wrote:
grinvader wrote:Oh side note: fuckshithell this new lcd tv doesn't like old ps1 signal. holy fuck that's horrible.
Quite the mindfuck, isn't it?
how so? My LCD tv handles the ps1 signal just fine. Then again I'm using s-video, so...

Not to mention the only (IIRC) game I played on it was final fantasy 9.

And Gil, if that's the case, couldn't you get a CRT digital tv?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:how so? My LCD tv handles the ps1 signal just fine.
PAL stuff's fine, but the modchip's fake pal60 output borks to all hell. It's probably interpreted as PAL50 (so i get misaligned colour burst and so on).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Huh, never thought pal60 would break things..
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Because it's not proper pal60. Probably hacked up, works on analog but not digital sets.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote: And Gil, if that's the case, couldn't you get a CRT digital tv?
Aren't many left. And no decent ones.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

You can pick up a Sony XBR CRT that's a few years old for $300-$500 these days. When they came out in 2003/2004 they were among the best TVs reviewed... of course they cost well over $2k at the time. The colors and black levels are still untouchable. Most important to me however is that standard definition content still looks awesome on them. I use XBMC at 720p, but a lot of what I watch is standard def. Not a problem with a moderately sized CRT though.

I picked up a 34" similar to this one. It does 720p/1080i (more than enough given its size and my proximity), has composite, s-video, component, and DVI.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

casualsax3 wrote:You can pick up a Sony XBR CRT that's a few years old for $300-$500 these days. When they came out in 2003/2004 they were among the best TVs reviewed... of course they cost well over $2k at the time. The colors and black levels are still untouchable. Most important to me however is that standard definition content still looks awesome on them. I use XBMC at 720p, but a lot of what I watch is standard def. Not a problem with a moderately sized CRT though.
Yeah... XBR960 is STILL considered the best HDTV in the world by a lot of people.
Of course, they're getting less awesome with every passing moment. Age takes it's toll. And I gather the 960s had a fragile yoke assembly, which is making them problematic.

My presentation monitor has aging. The contrast isn't as good as it should be, and if the scene gets too bright, the top inch or so starts "pulling" to the left.

It also can't do past 800*600. Which to be fair, is exactly what it was originally spec'ed for.
But I've seen reviews that it can be pushed to 1024*768. If this one could once, it can't anymore.

It'd probably be a bit nicer if I ran through and replaced the capacitors.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
grinvader wrote:Horrible fucking lack of awesome music.

*cough*

It's all well and good until you consider that this is New
York city, 1999, and every weapon in the game is a real gun except for Maeda's gun and the clubs(does anyone actually use those?).

I use the clubs for stealing from monsters. You can steal upgrades that way too. That's how I build the ultimate armor by stealing the large slime at the hospital several times. I need to play this game again.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

No, you build the ultimate armor by going to Chrysler floors 61-70 and grabbing a Cr armor 2, modding it over its innate Max HP up with Auto Heal, Auto Cure, Attack UP x2, Resist Poison/Stiffness/Darkness/Confusion, Item+4 and tuning it with EVERY BOOST FROM EVERY OTHER ARMOR from the (minimum) 2 previous games.

Then keep a weak spare in the unlikely event you have to reset your PE regen in battle.

Anything else is retardedly inefficient.

/me does keep a Club 5 to leave True Eve a small chance when they spar.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

grinvader wrote:No, you build the ultimate armor by going to Chrysler floors 61-70 and grabbing a Cr armor 2, modding it over its innate Max HP up with Auto Heal, Auto Cure, Attack UP x2, Resist Poison/Stiffness/Darkness/Confusion, Item+4 and tuning it with EVERY BOOST FROM EVERY OTHER ARMOR from the (minimum) 2 previous games.

Then keep a weak spare in the unlikely event you have to reset your PE regen in battle.

Anything else is retardedly inefficient.

/me does keep a Club 5 to leave True Eve a small chance when they spar.
Exactly then modify them with the Def+1 items. that's when the Super tool comes in handy.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Def+1 items. that's when the Super tool comes in handy.
You don't need the tools when you have stat boost items.
You use tools to fork over the other eq's bonus points on your uber piece. Which is already what I said.

Also if you only got def+1... I pity you. A bit.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

grinvader wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:Def+1 items. that's when the Super tool comes in handy.
You don't need the tools when you have stat boost items.
You use tools to fork over the other eq's bonus points on your uber piece. Which is already what I said.

Also if you only got def+1... I pity you. A bit.
I do both stuff and I spend 5 hours stealing from the big slime at the hospital. Then I go to the next location.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/20/psps- ... n-shooter/

I am excited, frightened and disappointed if this means no RPG mechanics in it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

As long as they have a good writer. If not, I'll start bitching about Parasite Eve 3 again, but for entirely different reasons.

I looked for some information about how the cellphone game turned out, but... I couldn't find anything. Lot of chatter leading up to the release, and then... silence.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:As long as they have a good writer. If not, I'll start bitching about Parasite Eve 3 again, but for entirely different reasons.
Meh... As long as the gameplay is good enough I'll ignore bad writing.

To an extent.

If I had known how bad XS: Episode 3 was going to turn out, I would have avoided it at all costs, including suicide.