I'm an oldy!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

chris27wjoyner

I'm an oldy!

Post by chris27wjoyner »

I remember when zsnes just hit the seen. snes9x was my emulator, but after test driving zsnes. (even with no sound support etc...) I fell in love, and stayed close to it's development (she's fast).

How long have you known about zsnes? where you there from the beginning?
http://www.demonbuster.com/

http://chris27wjoyner.blackapplehost.com/Mouse_Emulated/
Mouse Emulated Mouse Emulator.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I tried it when there was only the first release. DOS was the only version. Controls had to use the Insert/Del/PgUp/PgDn keys and could not be reconfigured. There was no GUI, no configuration files, and no options whatsoever. The ROM had to be specified as a command-line parameter like most DOS apps.

But it ran full-speed on my IBM P-150 (???mhz) CPU.

I was happy.
Need a new sig...
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

IIRC, I've been around since the release of the 0.300 version. First game I ever tried was Killer Instinct on my P200. Don't remember much else about that time, though.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
bdmosky

Post by bdmosky »

I hit the emulation scene around 1996ish. I got to see Snes96 and Snes97 still separate... Snes96 get rough sound support... and all that's happened since. One of the first sites I visited was Archaic Ruins (I discovered Node 99 a little late b/c it died shortly after finding it) followed by the Emu News Service (which I visited so many times a day), followed by Retrogames. My favorite emulators, even though they're outdated, were Nesticle and Genecyst for their innovative user interfaces and rich features. I also mentioned this in a post on Snes9x forums recently. I'd really like to know what Gary and Jerremy are doing these days, if they follow the emulation scene anymore, and if so what they think of all this progress.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

i start using zsnes just a few releases before the acompanied .txt had a phrase about "8-bits rubish" or things like that :lol:

dos obviously, which lead to trigger the infamous scitech zerial numbah...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

.7 or .9. Back in 1999.

I had no need of SDD, as my RivaTNT was native VESA2. AND had triple-buffering! I was elite.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

bdmosky wrote:I hit the emulation scene around 1996ish. I got to see Snes96 and Snes97 still separate... Snes96 get rough sound support... and all that's happened since. One of the first sites I visited was Archaic Ruins (I discovered Node 99 a little late b/c it died shortly after finding it) followed by the Emu News Service (which I visited so many times a day), followed by Retrogames. My favorite emulators, even though they're outdated, were Nesticle and Genecyst for their innovative user interfaces and rich features. I also mentioned this in a post on Snes9x forums recently. I'd really like to know what Gary and Jerremy are doing these days, if they follow the emulation scene anymore, and if so what they think of all this progress.
That's pretty similar to my story. Ah, the good old days. :)
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
dr-nix

Post by dr-nix »

Heh i rememberg when snes96 i think it was got sound support, i really got a wow feeling at that.

When it comes to zsnes i don't remember which version it was but i was recomended i use it to play Breath of Fire 2 (snes9* crashed after the first fight you got in after the intro). Even back then i was amazed at how you could get a great game like Final Fantasy II (aka IV) or BoF2 to fit in just a few mbs.

Today i'm just waiting for a setting that will automaticly send the zsnes image to my tv-out (like you can do with video).
- i typed "rm -rf /*" and now my system won't boot
Rhapsody
Rookie

Post by Rhapsody »

I believe 0.9891c (the last ASM/C version) was the first I ever used. I was using Windows 98 at the time, on a PC that was somewhat borderline when it came to more demanding games.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I had 0.952 first, on a 233Mhz P2. It ran pretty fast on there! I didn't use or hear of snes9x until a lot later as I wasn't really in the scene as much as I was just some random idiot looking to play SNES games, and I got banned from the boards many times back in the day to prove that much. :D
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I first used some version of ZSNES (used at a friends house) back in 2002 or 2003. The emulator was earlier then v1.00 and it was for DOS, it ran games at full speed in 8-bit mode like LttP etc. on a pentium 100.

I had never used a emulator before, and was very impressed with the accuracy, even though transparencies never worked. I then got a copy of the game and emulator from a friend and gave it a whirl, it worked fine and dandy on my ccyrix 6* (*6 or 3, 6 if it exists) 600mhz.

After I got A copy of it all, I was curious about tranparency and IIRC I asked about it here on the forums and everyone said to first update to 1.36 (the current at the time) then use the Windows build or use a 16bit video mode, I did the latter since the Windows build ran notably slow on the celeron.
Last edited by franpa on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Esturk
Lurker

Post by Esturk »

I don't remember the version number but I do remember the year and my computer specs at the time. It was my first computer actually.

April 2000..
Cyrix 6x86 P150@120MHz
16mb RAM
2MB PCI Trident video card (SciTech Display Doctor FTW)
Some Turtle Beach sound card.
Windows 98
Some cheap Radio Shack gameport gamepad. Had all the buttons though!

I also used Nesticle and Genecyst at the time.

I do recall using ZSNES some time before that on a friends computer, when FFV was first being translated back in 1998. Didn't have my own computer until a couple years later, but I was thrilled that one could play SNES and even Final Fantasy V on a computer!
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

First time I used it was back in December 2001, I believe the day before or after Christmas. I used the latest version of Zsnes at the time(1.337) and emulated Breath of Fire 2. My dad had found it on a file sharing network that I believe is dead right now. He told me about it(I had already known about emulation since I started going to GameFAQs' site back in 2000. People mentioned it in walkthroughs), and I did a yahoo search for snes emulator(Or something like that) and found zophar's.
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

It was 1999 or so. The most powerful computers available (in my area) could run games a tad slow without sound. I remember watching a friend play Duck Dodgers. Months later I was playing games I once saw but had no chance to touch. I was enthralled. Golly, I still am to this day.

Yes, I said golly.
What?
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

I remember the first time playing Zsnes; not sure what version it was, but it was in 1998..I think it was 0.337...

Pentium MMX 233MHz
16MB RAM
2MB video
Windows 98

Games had sound, but this was before transparency effects, interpolated sound and way before the first Windows port! Games ran 45 to 50 fps with no graphics filters!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:0.337...
-_-

It went from .305 to .390. Dummy.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

used the initial release on my pentium 133, and i remember the accusations of SNES9x code theft against _Demo_ and zsKnight.

started using it regularly on my 166MMX with the first GUI (v1) release.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

grinvader wrote:
-_-

Well sorry for not getting the version number right!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

I don't remember the exact version number I used of ZSNES first but I do remember that it had a very rough GUI. If one started zsnes with no arguments one would see a small blue box with 4 menu options (LOAD, CONFIG [greyed out], ????? and QUIT)

First game I ever tried was F-ZERO
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

Probably '99 or '00.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

My brother used ZSNES a lot back when I didn't have my own computer, and he never let me play, the bastard!
sometime in 1998 I suppose...
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:
grinvader wrote:
-_-

Well sorry for not getting the version number right!
He meant to say "1.337" (as in "leet" or "elite" version).
Need a new sig...
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Ichinisan wrote:He meant to say "1.337" (as in "leet" or "elite" version).
That post would have been 1337 times better if your post count was just a slight bit higher.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Johan_H wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:He meant to say "1.337" (as in "leet" or "elite" version).
That post would have been 1337 times better if your post count was just a slight bit higher.
Hmm...I remember it has surpassed 1,337 some time before I stopped coming here all the time. I guess that, during my absence, some posts/threads/forums were deleted; and my posts with them.
Need a new sig...