bsnes v0.035 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Nach wrote:
byuu wrote:It's a seriously complex under-taking, and there really aren't that many good games on these two co-processors. Yes, I know, the half dozen games they have are arguably some of the best on the system, but they're still only a half dozen games. I'd rather focus improvements on things that affect the other 4,000 games.
That's absurd. Every single SFX and SA-1 game is 1000 orders of magnitude better than all other SNES games combined. It's not even worth having SNES emulation without SFX or SA-1 support, as not a single plain SNES game is worthwhile in the slightest.

Thanks for keeping your emulator worthless :evil:

Peace! :roll:
Yeah, games like Zelda and Super Metroid are pretty worthless. ;)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

FirebrandX wrote:
Nach wrote:
byuu wrote:It's a seriously complex under-taking, and there really aren't that many good games on these two co-processors. Yes, I know, the half dozen games they have are arguably some of the best on the system, but they're still only a half dozen games. I'd rather focus improvements on things that affect the other 4,000 games.
That's absurd. Every single SFX and SA-1 game is 1000 orders of magnitude better than all other SNES games combined. It's not even worth having SNES emulation without SFX or SA-1 support, as not a single plain SNES game is worthwhile in the slightest.

Thanks for keeping your emulator worthless :evil:

Peace! :roll:
Yeah, games like Zelda and Super Metroid are pretty worthless. ;)
Yeah, anyone who plays those games has a screw not only loose, but outright missing.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by ZH/Franky »

Yep, the following games (and these are off the top of my head) are worthless:
Alcahest
Assault Suits Valken
Chrono Trigger
Clock Tower
Cyber Knight
Cyber Knight 2
Der Langrisser
Dual Orb 2
Earthbound
Feda, Emblem of Justice
Front Mission
Front Mission Gunhazard
F-Zero
Live-A-Live
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei 2
Super Mario World
Terranigma
Emerald Dragon
Der Langrisser
Last edited by ZH/Franky on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

You forgot the Mega Man X games, Mega Man 7, Lufia, and a bunch of other really really awful games.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by byuu »

The only games that matter are Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and Starfox. Because two hundred solid color polygons per scene at 10fps is badass.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

What's Kirby? Just some stupid marshmallow puff?

Post by I.S.T. »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
deltaphc

Post by deltaphc »

My sarcasm detector just suffered a meltdown.

So, unless some other dedicated person takes a crack at special chips, you'll continue to concentrate on the base console? Regardless, I've always been interested in bsnes; both from a technical perspective and its effect on other emulators. Everyone gains something by having more complete SNES documentation. :)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

BTW byuu, I object to your incorrect statement of only half a dozen games. The amount of games between those two chips is closer to 30 than 6.

Post by byuu »

Half a dozen good games.

SuperFX:
Super Mario 2
Starfox
Starfox 2 Beta (hard to count, as it wasn't officially released -- but it does exist.)

SA-1:
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Maybe Marvelous -- needs an English translation
Parodius
Super Mario RPG

Of course, maybe you're a fan of the world's worst Doom port, or Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1. I'm not. And that's why good is a personal opinion ;)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

You forgot Kirby's Super Star which according to most is better than KDL3.

As for the Doom port, it was done by the author of Bleem!, so go figure.

Post by FitzRoy »

byuu wrote:So what then, is the point? Just use an existing emulator for these games.
I remember you agreeing with me that it would at least be interesting to see how well an equivalent SuperFX implementation would play in base emulation of bsnes' calibur. Not every issue in other emulators is a result of the special chip code, I imagine.
byuu wrote:I'd rather focus improvements on things that affect the other 4,000 games.
Not entertaining the possibility that you've squashed your last bug? C'mon, where's the optimism! This is it, timing is perfect now *crosses fingers*
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nach wrote:You forgot the Mega Man X games, Mega Man 7, Lufia, and a bunch of other really really awful games.
X games? Plural? byuu did the C4?
I missed that one, I guess.

And everyone's forgetting Super Robot Wars Gaiden when talking about the SA1. That means that everyone sucks.
Just so you know.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Nach wrote:You forgot the Mega Man X games, Mega Man 7, Lufia, and a bunch of other really really awful games.
X games? Plural? byuu did the C4?
I missed that one, I guess.
It was the third special chip added to bsnes, and the first one done with a team, myself in fact, I did most of the C4 work in bsnes, based on byuu's framework.

Post by kick »

byuu wrote:Half a dozen good games.

SuperFX:
Super Mario 2
Starfox
Starfox 2 Beta (hard to count, as it wasn't officially released -- but it does exist.)

SA-1:
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Maybe Marvelous -- needs an English translation
Parodius
Super Mario RPG

Of course, maybe you're a fan of the world's worst Doom port, or Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1. I'm not. And that's why good is a personal opinion ;)
You forgot to mention SD F-1 Grand Prix (it's *NOT* an F1 game,but a Mario Kart style racer almost as fun as Mario Kart) and Vortex (Starfox-like shooter with great music) - two very good games
Marvelous (J) is just as its name suggests - lovely, even without a translation :)
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

People need start reading what came with bsnes from now on without thinking asking byuu on requests.
No we don't! I want my Super FX code to be cycle accurate and run 3 seconds per frame!!!! :roll: If it isn't accurate to that degree, I am not interested. >.>
Yeah, games like Zelda and Super Metroid are pretty worthless.
Same with SMW, bloated POS, that is....

Doom, now thats a game you can set your watch too. Especially run it will run at around 1-4 seconds per frame. :lol:
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Not entertaining the possibility that you've squashed your last bug? C'mon, where's the optimism! This is it, timing is perfect now *crosses fingers*
Time for that dot accurate renderer. Who really gives a fuck about speed, as long as its accurate, hey? :wink:
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

mud, why are you trolling? :? :( This isn't your normal disagreements with byuu, this is outright trying to piss him off.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

mudlord wrote:
People need start reading what came with bsnes from now on without thinking asking byuu on requests.
No we don't! I want my Super FX code to be cycle accurate and run 3 seconds per frame!!!!
It's AUTHENTIC!

Seriously, given we have people that think ZSNES finally running StarFox at more or less the right speed is a BUG IN THE CURRENT VERSION, I'm all for increased accuracy.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

mud, why are you trolling? This isn't your normal disagreements with byuu, this is outright trying to piss him off.
Nah, I'm just using logic similar to Nach's. I'm just messing around, thats all. 8)
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

I'm all for increased accuracy.
Same, although for me, I feel there is limits, like when we get into the seconds per frame ideology....
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

mudlord wrote:
mud, why are you trolling? This isn't your normal disagreements with byuu, this is outright trying to piss him off.
Nah, I'm just using logic similar to Nach's. I'm just messing around, thats all. 8)
...I SUCK AT READING THE INTERNET!!!!!
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Byuu should make a 2nd emulator called asnes, which uses the slowest and most accurate emulation methods. Dot-renderer, full special chip support that is cycle accurate. Basically get it running at 1 frame per second, and then lobby to make it the new benchmark testing program for monster rigs getting reviewed on sites like anandtech.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

1 fps? Luxury!

1 scanline / sec. should be enough for anyone.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Franky wrote:
Yep, I'm too much of an Aspie to understand sarcasm.