bsnes and pulseaudio

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
Rhapsody
Rookie

Post by Rhapsody »

AamirM wrote:(or gnu/linux or gnu/xorg/linux or gnu/xorg/kde/linux or whatever)
Off-topic (were we ever on-topic?), but do you have any idea how unoriginal that is? I've heard and refuted that so many times that I am sick and fucking tired of hearing it again. There are good arguments against the term 'GNU/Linux', but this is not one of them.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Please, let's NOT start the "what shall we REALLY call Linux" argument, ffs.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Well, at least linus went with the name linux instead of his original idea for a name -- freax

Btw AamirM, you're only talking about GNU, right? Well, they do barely any of the work that you see in the various linux distributions anyway. I wouldn't worry about Linux being overtaken in another few years... the "completely free" (i.e. completely useless) distros like gnewsense will be overtaken because they all listen to Richard Stallman's philosophy, but distros like Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, and many other distros.. will only continue to improve. And, there will only be more awesome distros on the way, to add to the already huge collection.

There is probably 20 times as much development progress on Linux, and most other open source projects, than anything Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, etc will be working on.

PS: And I don't know what you mean by "uncontrolled" when you think about Linux... a lot of distros are a mess in certain areas, but with some tweaking, most linux distros can be made awesome (little tip, OSS4, not ALSA. Oh, and PulseAudio? Ha! esd, my friend). The only real problem on Linux is video drivers (I'm looking at you, ATI).
Rhapsody
Rookie

Post by Rhapsody »

Franky wrote:The only real problem on Linux is video drivers (I'm looking at you, ATI).
I've had more problems with sound rather than video recently, but that's because I went with Nvidia for the graphics. FOSS drivers would've been nice, but Intel graphics aren't where I want to be right now, and I'm sure ATI's drivers are going to be great... some day. But I spent £900 on this PC, and when I spend that amount of money, I want working hardware acceleration today, not some time in 2009.

I'll admit that I subscribe to the rms school of software licensing, but even I have my limits. Hobbling a £900 PC with shitty drivers is way beyond them.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Rhapsody wrote:
AamirM wrote:(or gnu/linux or gnu/xorg/linux or gnu/xorg/kde/linux or whatever)
Off-topic (were we ever on-topic?), but do you have any idea how unoriginal that is? I've heard and refuted that so many times that I am sick and fucking tired of hearing it again. There are good arguments against the term 'GNU/Linux', but this is not one of them.
The stupidity of the various names was the point of joke. Since it was one.
Chill out.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hi,
henke37 wrote:<rant>There is one thing that I don't like about gcc, it has the worst and most useless inline assembler syntax ever. Seriously, embedded control characters? And honestly, why do I need to tell the compiler what registers I overwrote? Can't it figure that out itself?
</rant>
Yeah, thats true. Even a plain binary file looks better than that syntax. Although I am not sure, but I think there were some changes in GCC to allow intel style. But who cares, I use nasm anyway. Its more portable across other compilers and avoids ugliness of #ifdefs (ugh).

stay safe,

AamirM