Anybody got a gaming rig?

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Anybody got a gaming rig?

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

I have 2 computers. One has a 1ghz processor, and like 512MB of pc133 ram. It downloads games all day. My main pc has a 1.5ghz processor, and again 512MB of pc133 ram. Both very weak systems with shitty video cards. but I don't do much with them (downloading and programming doesn't take much power). I do have a 3ghz latop with a gig of ram, but I hardly ever use it, go figure.

I want to play some of these new age video games, like Bioshock and Fallout 3. I was looking into getting a PS3 because it's the most powerful console, but then I'd have to actually PAY for games. The Xbox 360 looks cool and all but it's far underpowered and doesn't even support today's high def video format (gotta pay extra for HD-DVD lol).

So I'm looking into making a gaming pc rig. I want to play all these fancy 3D games and such. I couldn't care less about plot or story line or other bullshit. all I want is amazing 3d visuals that will make me believe that I'm dreaming, and possibly creme my pants.

I played Fallout 3 on my mother's pc (yes, my MOTHER'S PC) and it played beautifully at 'medium' settings (1440x900). she's got some 2gig of ddr ram and a dual core pentium 3ghz processor or some shit. plus some $80 video card I got her with hdmi out and a gig of ram on the bitch.

$500 gaming PC

$1,500 mainstream pc

are these some nice pcs? they look real nice. I'd pry drop a different video card in there cause I want hdmi or component to hook to a flatscreen. any suggestions on an awesome pc that will take any game and play it at near max settings for under $600? my pcs failed at doom 3 years ago, playing only less than 1 frame per second :oops:
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I'd use that article as a starting point, but read reviews from other sites before spending, and read reviews that have tests that use or are close to, the resolution of your LCD.

Unless you are wanting to do 1080p, then I'd consider a radeon 4670.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
blackmyst
Zealot

Re: Anybody got a gaming rig?

Post by blackmyst »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:I was looking into getting a PS3 because it's the most powerful console, but then I'd have to actually PAY for games. The Xbox 360 looks cool and all but it's far underpowered
Good thing I realized who's posting, lol. D:

6.5/10
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

are these some nice pcs? they look real nice. I'd pry drop a different video card in there cause I want hdmi or component to hook to a flatscreen. any suggestions on an awesome pc that will take any game and play it at near max settings for under $600? my pcs failed at doom 3 years ago, playing only less than 1 frame per second
They look alright, but I see area for improvement. Like, you could just get a high end Core 2 Duo with 3-4GB RAM, and that should handle the CPU/RAM requirements for pretty much any game out there, including Crysis. As for graphics though, you should go for a GeForce 8800GT at least if you want decent speed at decent resolutions.

I heard though the newest ATI Radeons absolutely kill what NVIDIA offers atm, but I dunno if they cleaned up thier driver act or not yet......Apparently, the most recent drivers did fix up some OpenGL issues....Not sure on the extent though.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

get a quad core and if you can clock it to 3 ghz and slap an ati powerhog graphics card ontop of it and then just emulate your ps2 because THATS THE ONLY THING PEOPLE DO THESE DAYS
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

quick look on newegg, should be under $600 even after shipping...

Antec NSK4480 Case & PSU - $69.95
ASUS P5QL Pro - $89.99
ASUS EAH4850/TOP - $169.99
Intel C2D E7200 - $119.99
Kingston 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 - $27.99
WD 250GB SE HDD - $49.99
LG DVD burner - $23.99
Total - $551.89

If you can spend more, prioritize by CPU (C2D E8400), then video card (Radeon 4870).

Don't forget to look on ZipZoomFly, they're having a free-shipping promotion at the moment.

Note that this is a conservative build, sacrificing a little speed by spending a little more on quality brands that I trust and recommend.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
gllt

Post by gllt »

You could definitely full speed bsnes with that on some of the more intensive games I would think.

A C2D means possibility of PS2 games other than Disgaea if you're bored.

But you want those magical PC games don't you
I don't KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THOSE but what I do know is

Yeah thats a pretty good setup odditude just flung at you a++
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:In any case, I've heard that ATi wasn't doing so hot in general anyhow.
Actually, ATI is doing remarkably well across the board right now, even if their parent company (AMD) is drifting a bit. NVIDIA is the company that's having issues, between having to dramatically drop the prices of their flagship cards to compete with ATI (see GTX 280/260) and facing recalls across the 8600m mobile graphics chipset line...
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

thank you h4tred, odditude, and sweener2001 for your advice, very insightful. I would be willing to do crossfire, and I'd really like to have hdmi. my plasma is only 720p, so really it doesn't have to be insane. possibly even one card now, and crossfire later in a few months. again I want the most mind blowing graphics, playable on a flatscreen tv, so 1080p tops.

as for ps3 games, they run about 22GB max. if one were to download such a file size, it could be downloaded while at work, possibly two a day if left on for 24 hours. a computer is so much more flexible as well, consoles are too limiting, save the original xbox. don't forget zsnes will run on my pc :wink:

ps, this is the video card I'm so hyped up about (actually has 512 ram). newegg has open box ones for $52. it runs fallout 3 at 'medium' settings, and I'm just skippy with that. would that be cool for crossfire? last card I bought before this was an ati all in wonder from best buy years ago for like $300. it had composite in and s-video out!! maybe even 32MB of ram!!!! so any card with more than 128MB of DDR ram blows my mind.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Does Ati cards have something like Sli?
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

crossfire.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
odditude

Post by odditude »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:thank you h4tred, odditude, and sweener2001 for your advice, very insightful.
you're quite welcome. building PCs is my forte.
PHoNyMiKe wrote:ps, this is the video card I'm so hyped up about (actually has 512 ram). newegg has open box ones for $52. it runs fallout 3 at 'medium' settings, and I'm just skippy with that. would that be cool for crossfire?
important thing to keep in mind: video card companies are well aware that people fixate on the amount of RAM on the card, and will happily sell you a piece of shit with 512MB of RAM because they know that's all you're looking for. there are many other specs to look at, and even then they're meaningless half the time. you need to see comparison reviews (or ask someone who reads them all!) to make an educated decision.

the current-gen 4650 is significantly better than the 3650 you linked to (not so much in raw power, but it actually has fully functioning hardware AA). the 4850 i linked to is dramatically more powerful, capable of running current titles quite handily at 1280x720 (which is 720p) or 1360x768 (which is the actual native resolution of many 720p TVs).

most times, you're better off going with a single card that's double the price than two cards in crossfire or sli. scaling isn't linear in even the best of cases, and it's not uncommon to see increases only in the 20% range. also, multi-gpu setups require more cpu overhead, so you'll generally need a slightly faster cpu to get the full benefit. also, you have to make sure to get a crossfire/sli compatible motherboard, which will carry its own additional price premium.

the 4850X2 (and 4870X2) cards are essentially 2 4850s (or 2 4870s) in crossfire on a single board. phenominal cosmic power, itty bitty living space. the nice thing about these solutions is you don't need to worry about having a crossfire-compatible board or anything.

anyway, fitting all this info back into the original topic - you had requested a system that clocks in at under $600, which my original suggestion does. the radeon HD4000 series cards all support video AND audio output over HDMI, so that will be no concern. (audio over HDMI is provided via an on-board 7.1ch HD audio controller.)

if you were to extend the system to include sweener's (valid) suggestion, you would need to also go with a higher-end power supply, adding further to the expense. given that you're currently running a 720p TV, i don't feel that to be necessary.

for reference, my current system (relevant specs) is a c2d e6300 (@stock 1.86GHz/1MB/1066MHz) with 2GB of DDR2-800 and a 512MB 3870 connected to a 720p TV. this machine will run bioshock quite handily at max settings. my suggestion for you has a dramatically faster cpu (the e8400 is 3.0GHz/6MB/1333MHz) and a better video card (same idea as between the older 3650 and current 4650 - minor raw power increase, but fully functional AA hardware which comes in handy at the relatively low resolution of a 720p panel).

if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I'd go with the 4670, if you are considering a sub-100 solution. It runs mass effect very smooth on my 3800+x2, with everything cranked to max. bioshock should run pretty well too. My resolution is set to 1280x1024, so 720p is probably boring for that card on this three year old setup.

You also need to consider the 46xx series doesn't need a dedicated PCI-E power. So you get a smaller, cooler, and quieter card.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
odditude

Post by odditude »

funkyass wrote:I'd go with the 4670, if you are considering a sub-100 solution. It runs mass effect very smooth on my 3800+x2, with everything cranked to max. bioshock should run pretty well too. My resolution is set to 1280x1024, so 720p is probably boring for that card on this three year old setup.

You also need to consider the 46xx series doesn't need a dedicated PCI-E power. So you get a smaller, cooler, and quieter card.
From reviews I've read, Mass Effect has lower graphical requirements then other contemporary games (to its benefit), so it's not necessarily the best benchmark for whether a card will be sufficient across-the-board. Also, going with a higher-end card like the 4850 would allow for AA, which is more beneficial at lower resolutions.

I can't argue with the 4600-series' lower cost, power usage and heat dissipation, though!
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

it's funny because while I am staggeringly a pretty much only console gamer, I can't seem to bring myself to buy games on 360 or PS3 that are being released on PC also, because I know the PC experience will always be superior, even if I have to wait to get a new PC to get that. but then again I'm a stickler for buying a game on the system it was programmed for (even multiplatform games are primarily written for a system, like PS2 was often the common denominator and 360 seems to be this cycle) This can be hard which is why I like system exclusives, they tend to be more optimized but I know a lot of games like bioshock, call of duty 4, mass effect, and gears of war 2 will be better on PC, heck, it's only a matter of time before Halo 3 is released on PC.

it's an argument of ideally vs. reality.

the 360 really needs more ram, and "real" DX10 (that can be debated, but meh, whatever)
Last edited by Panzer88 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
gllt

Post by gllt »

Then there are games which are jokes on both the PC and the console, but more of a joke on the console

like The Sims.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

gllt wrote:Then there are games which are jokes on both the PC and the console, but more of a joke on the console

like The Sims.
And "Age of Empires 2", as another example.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

(MOD EDIT: this small text is in response to people having a problem with Franky's existance on the zboard and sweener calling him out on it) you can be insanely stupid and idiotic. using the point that you don't like fps or rts games to debunk the fact that the ps3 DOESN'T have them is the absolute worst kind of fallacy. and let's not forget that i mentioned mass effect and diablo 3, two RPG's. tard

i never bothered to look at benchmarks for the 4670, but i think that the 4850 is worth the extra money. if only because the crossfired 4850 is a beast. it beats out the gtx 260, and still costs less.

granted, a crossfire mobo is needed, but building a pc with some future upgrading possibilities will (obviously) cost more than a pc strictly made to get the job done now. i think that in the long run, though, you'll save money if you do want to upgrade down the line, because then you just need to slap an extra video card or trade out the cpu, or throw in some extra RAM, instead of buying a whole new rig because it can't be upgraded.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
odditude

Post by odditude »

sweener2001 wrote:granted, a crossfire mobo is needed, but building a pc with some future upgrading possibilities will (obviously) cost more than a pc strictly made to get the job done now. i think that in the long run, though, you'll save money if you do want to upgrade down the line, because then you just need to slap an extra video card or trade out the cpu, or throw in some extra RAM, instead of buying a whole new rig because it can't be upgraded.
i'm not a fan of using crossfire/sli as an upgrade solution. usually, by the time the next big thing comes along that makes you want to upgrade, the pair to your card is no longer on the market. even if it still is, there is a significant cost in terms of power usage and heat output that might make simply replacing your current card a better proposition.

also, with the X2 models available, starting off with crossfire on a vanilla 4850 or 4870 is somewhat pointless - it's only worth it if you go with a pair of the X2s (which is far beyond the scope of this build).
gllt

Post by gllt »

I run a Celeron.

So, yeah.
And an AGP 4X nVidia 6800 GT slightly oc'ed with a stupid boxed fan on it.
And two 1GB sticks of DDR ram that I can't remember the specifics of apart from I'm sure it's no better than anything else here.

I have two motherboards, one that can fit a dualcore and one a quadcore as well as PCI-e graphics cards like an 8800 GT and all that EXPENSIVE CRAP.

I'm so glad I just bought a DS instead of spending all this worthless paper on trying to collect parts to build what will virtually amount to a buggy PS2 and a stupid linux terminal.

GO SPEND YOUR MONEY ON THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY NOW instead of trying to build supercomputers
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

warhawk was one of the first highly advertised PS3 games to do such but the numbers have increased, IIRC Tomb Raider Anniversary can be downloaded on 360, Portal also among many others and PS Store and 360 Marketplace now have a lot of full fledged games including old titles from their previous platforms.

It's teh future ;)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

OK all general ignorance and stupidity has been cleansed while trying to keep the structural integrity of this thread intact

carry on
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
gllt

Post by gllt »

adventure_of_link wrote:OK all general ignorance and stupidity has been cleansed while trying to keep the structural integrity of this thread intact

carry on
I feel my part was probably just structural integrity but

thanks for taking it so tacos on me <3
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Actually, I made some on my own earlier (cooking and all), but thanks for your concern. :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

adventure_of_link wrote:OK all general ignorance and stupidity has been cleansed while trying to keep the structural integrity of this thread intact

carry on
well I am the king of redundancy redundant.

of the redundancy factory... (aka, my bad for beating a dead horse unintentionally)

in other news left 4 dead coming to PC and 360, and it doesn't take a super computer

:)

Co-Op is da shiznit.

EDIT: wait, what? wtf just happened to the topic, my head!