Host freezes

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

use_your_shoe

Host freezes

Post by use_your_shoe »

I'm a long-time ZSnes user, and have refrained from joining the forums just to bug the membership with my problems.

Up until tonight, I've been able to solve my problems by referring to posts by other members, and relating their problems to mine.

Tonight's different. While I have found a couple other users have experienced the same, there was no solution posted.

I'm in Winnipeg, MB, and my friend is in Estevan, SK. We played Super Mario World over netplay by using ZSnes 1.36 with Hamachi about a week ago.

Since then, she moved to a new apartment. All her computer/zsnes settings remained the same. However, when we tried to play Donkey Kong Country (which we had previously not tried), the host (myself) froze and she was disconnected.

I tried forwarding my ports (we have not tried that on her computer yet, as she is trying to find her router's password), we changed the program and rom directories so they match exactly (everything is in C:/Emulators/SNES/ right now). We even tried having her as the host.
My specs
Processor: Pentium 4, 2GHz
RAM: 512 MB
ISP: Shaw
Router: Linksys WRT150N

Her specs
Processor: 1.83 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
ISP: SaskTel
Router: Belkin F5D7230-4
I don't think it matters, but she is using a wireless connection, but I am not. We left the "Allow UDP connections" option on for the most part, and the one time we tried without, it did the same.

So I guess my question is this: Supposing that forwarding port 7845 does not work, what can we do to resolve this?
Last edited by use_your_shoe on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Try setting both your computers/NICs out of the router's DMZ.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

are you still using hamachi? keep using it if you stopped.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
use_your_shoe

Post by use_your_shoe »

franpa wrote:are you still using hamachi? keep using it if you stopped.
Yeah, we're still using Hamachi.
use_your_shoe

Post by use_your_shoe »

Deathlike2 wrote:Try setting both your computers/NICs out of the router's DMZ.
First I forwarded port 7845. Then we both forwarded it. Then we both disabled firewalls, then we both used DMZs. Still no success.

What else can we try?

What frustrates me most is that it worked before.

Edit: I hadn't mentioned it before, but we tried this all with Super Mario World, too, so I think we've ruled out the ROM file being the cause, unless it somehow corrupted some settings.
use_your_shoe

Post by use_your_shoe »

Well, I feel like a tool. It seems switching to zsnes 1.42 solved the problem :/