Star Ocean Language...

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Justifier!
Hazed

Star Ocean Language...

Post by Justifier! »

I have no other place to ask, so sorry if I ever bother anyone but...

Of what kind does Star Ocean's Japanese Langaue falls at? Is it Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana or something all together, cause' I'm learning the Japanese language and I like to play Star Ocean[SNES] on it's original, untouched, Japanese state.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

IIRC, all three.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Why are you here and not playing it ?

It's friggin obvious you'll see what's what if you try to play, don't you think ? Because it is, and so you should.

Also, if you try to learn japanese from a game while not knowing even the most basic basics basicnesses, you're in for a tough ride.
It's hard enough when you actually grasp the stuff you decipher.

... anyway, feeling nice tonight.
Anything japanese will have hiragana. Except robotspeak BECAUSE ROBOTS SPEAK ALL MONOTONOUS AND CRAP AND KATAKANAS ARE NICE FOR THAT. See, caps give out a relatively similar feeling in english.
Anyway, anything on the SNES that's intended for people out of kindergarten will have kanjis.
Most NES games had all-hiras scripts (which are a buttfuck hell worse to translate than 'normal' kanji-using scripts, if you were wondering) for size reasons. Fortunately the snes removed that limitation (and others, probably, like tile size, layers and co)

So yeah. Next is katas, which are used for emphasis, special speech (see robotspeak above) and foreign transcriptions (most items and character names).

Try to have fun. For reference, I could play ToP to the end (and actually get most of the scenario) but got stuck in the middle of the velcrant cave when I tried SO (without graphic packs, for my defense. Makes it hella tougher to find how to detonate those weird garbled tiles and open a way when you're not seeing shit and didn't notice the item you got is an ACCESSORY).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Justifier!
Hazed

Post by Justifier! »

Hey, I didn't even said I was learning Japanese from the game, I said while I'm learning Japanese I thought if it's nice that I try to apply my basic skills and play Star Ocean to it's untouched Japanese Language state, guess I should've been more specific to recieve a nag...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The question you asked doesn't really show any basic skill, if you see what I mean.
Or rather shows a lack of basic skills.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54