Tales of Phantasia does not work with translation pack

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

deeyay

Tales of Phantasia does not work with translation pack

Post by deeyay »

Hi everyone.

I have a problem with tales of phantasia. I have a good unpatched japanese rom which is verified with NSRT. But none of the four available .ips files work with the game (I even delete and replace the original rom between switching .ips file). All I get is a black screen and nothing happens. If I load the rom without the patch it works fine, but in japanese. The .ips file is named the same as the rom and placed in the same folder. I can't get it to work in either zsnes or snes9x (newest versions).

I have done the translation patch in the exact same way for star ocean also and it works fine without problems. But I can't get tales of phantasia to work with english text. I have a prepatched rom of it also and the checksum is OK with it, but it isn't found in the database in NSRT so I am worried it doesn't work OK.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

NSRT doesn't list/recognize hardpatched ROMs. At all. That doesn't necessarily mean that hardpatched ROMs wouldn't work OK in an emulator.

As far as Tales of Phantasia goes, you are doing it wrong. ZSNES doesn't support interleaved ROMs, so if you're ROM is interleaved, deinterleave it. Also, make sure that the ROM has a header.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Agozer wrote:NSRT doesn't list/recognize hardpatched ROMs. At all. That doesn't necessarily mean that hardpatched ROMs wouldn't work OK in an emulator.

As far as Tales of Phantasia goes, you are doing it wrong. ZSNES doesn't support interleaved ROMs, so if you're ROM is interleaved, deinterleave it. Also, make sure that the ROM has a header.
ZSNES does support interleaved ROMs, except of the SuperFX variety (Yoshi's Island).

TOP does need the header for the patch to work, which is the actual problem.

Plus, if you didn't read the readme, well shame on you.
Û ³ How to Patch ³ Û
Û ³ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ³ Û
Û ³ The patch requires an original Japanese rom with a 512 byte header, ³ Û
Û ³ making it 6,291,968 bytes in size. If the rom is only 6,291,456 ³ Û
Û ³ bytes, it does not have a header. Included are patches for both the ³ Û
Û ³ interleaved and non-interleaved roms. Use the format conversion ³ Û
Û ³ programs to determine if your rom is interleaved or not. ³ Û
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
deeyay

Post by deeyay »

Well yes shame on me. I actually read the readme file but I guess my brain skipped the part about the header. So I guess I only need to add a header with the NSRT program and it will work. Thank you for pointing out my stupidity.

And thanks for Zsnes, I have prefered this emulator since many years back. Never done any of this stuff before though.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

You can also remove the header-requirement from the IPS file with ipsedit (command-line utility included with NSRT).
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Which is a much healthier alternative, imvbo.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
deeyay

Post by deeyay »

I like the alternative of an un-altered rom so I altered the .ips file instead. Thanks for your help.