Yo duders just leaking Sonic Xtreme here...

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Cooljerk
Simply Amazin'

Yo duders just leaking Sonic Xtreme here...

Post by Cooljerk »

well, actually there... on sonic retro. Me and a few guys got our hands on the source code for Sonic Xtreme and are building it for release. We have about a year's worth of development archived in various states of completion, from Ofer Alon's original PC engine that only runs on a windows PC with an Nvidia NV1, to a never-before-seen Saturn port of said engine, to even work done after the project was killed by about 4 months.

In addition we have all the sources to the tools they had developed to make Sonic Xtreme.

We have put together a full Saturn development environment and Nvidia NV1 PC to work with. As I said, we intend to build every revision and release every built binary we produce. Actually building this source is a pain, however, and these builds are glitchy. It'll take us time to build everything out, but we have some screenshots of current progress:

Level editor

Engine running on Saturn (well, SSF emulator, currently crashes on real hardware)

The engine we have includes builds as seen in these leaked videos from years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IOd0mQ-uXE

You can follow our release progress in this thread: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php? ... 33545&st=0

Figured I'd drop a line....
[img]http://img188.exs.cx:81/img188/8053/sig13re.jpg[/img]
blackmyst
Zealot

Re: Yo duders just leaking Sonic Xtreme here...

Post by blackmyst »

Wow, I love how stuff like this can actually happen now. Between this and the RE1.5 leak, I wonder what else is still waiting to be uncovered.

Awesome work dudes.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

The sad thing is that even though this is historically relevent and not even worth anything commercially, there's real risk of whoever owning the rights cracking down on something like this. :( Businesses are assholes.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:The sad thing is that even though this is historically relevent and not even worth anything commercially, there's real risk of whoever owning the rights cracking down on something like this. :( Businesses are assholes.
On the other hand, the rights to Sonic the Hedgehog might be tangled up in so many sales and mergers and bankruptcies that no one KNOWS who owns Sonic the Hedgehog anymore. No one will sue because no one knows if they own Sonic the Hedgehog.
Or Sonic the Hedgehog might be clearly owned by Sega. But who can say? Best to blame "whoever owns the rights" just in case!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Excellent work. By the way, I'm registered at that little forum as well, under my alt of kuroshi, which was a name I revived from its dead state since it was last used in 2002 or so. Still my LiveJournal account, even if some other dude registered at Something Awful and Twitter with that name before I did. Which I only used at Retro because of their incredibly stupid anti-"Internet" naming policy, where they would likely have forced me to drop the 54 from my name because numbers are too "Internet" even if there's a back story to this exact number being on my name. What a bunch of whackos. I hardly post there because basically all they talk about is Sonic games and Sega consoles, and I never owned any of that stuff. Even their generic tech forum rarely has any non-Sega tech topics.

Anyway. Great work.

Oh, and @Cooljerk and @blackmyst, please consider uploading your avatars to Gravatar and generating a fixed size static link for this forum. Or use Imgur, but know that since this forum doesn't see a whole lot of traffic, your avatars could die again in 3 months.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Oh I had it up on my old isp's webspace from ten years ago, but when that company folded I didn't really care about replacing it.

I'll remove the link, dunno why I didn't do that before. Maybe I'll get a new one some day... :p
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

>DynaCubes 0

CUUUUUUBES
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Bumping because DYNACUBES.
Also because the board is stone dead.
Also to soothe hearts after the LAST Sonic release.
But mostly for my own personal amusement. That's the biggest reason.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Heard about your apartment fire from someone who linked the topic on NeoGAF. My condolences for your neighbors, and for you for having to find a new building to relocate your thankfully undamaged stuff to.

I tried registering to post there, but alas, they probably deleted my registration attempt after letting it languish for a month or two.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Damn, that shouldn't have to happen to anyone. :/
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Luckily for him, it was a fire that seemed to damage his neighboring unit, and much of the building, but not his unit. Aside from smoke damage, his stuff is good to go to his next apartment.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Yeah I got that, I just mean being forced to leave your home. May or may not be a big deal to him personally I guess.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Bumping because DYNACUBES.
Also because the board is stone dead.
Also to soothe hearts after the LAST Sonic release.
But mostly for my own personal amusement. That's the biggest reason.
Same here. Also, I've gotta respect someone who wants to remake/finish a game that everyone was hyped as fuck about back in the late 90s. I don't know anything about the fire or any news really, but I'd love to see more updates if CoolJerk still has the time to work on this. Also, what's up Gil? Long time no see.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nada.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Do you have any news on Cooljerk and if he's doing alright? Sonix Xtreme restoration aside, I just hope the dude's alright. Also this board is almost completely dead right now and it's a shame. Remaking a game from a VERY early prototype sounds ridiculously time consuming, and even if I had the knowledge and skills to do so, I doubt I'd have the patience to actually finish it.

As far as what I've been doing, I'm good but busy due to personal/relationship stuff. I'm taking a short hiatus from gaming due to burnout.