Disgaea 1 transmigration question.

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Disgaea 1 transmigration question.

Post by franpa »

Hello, is there a curve to the bonus stats when transmigrating? IE: do you earn the same amount of bonus points when transmigrating twice at level 50 compared to transmigrating once at level 100?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The bonus system from transmogrifies in Disgaea is based on 2 things:
1- the amount of levels 'stored' on that character
2- the stats of that character before he transmogrifies (without eq)

The stats unlock 'yellow bars', which increase the base stats permanently (and thus the increase per level too).
The stored levels unlock more bonus points, that you can add over the yellow bars for even more stats (and increase per level).

Yellow bar bonuses are capped at 40 for genius transmogrifies.
You need around 1.2M HP to get 40 YBB in HP, and ~300K to get 40YBB in other stats [that means around 70 for the base stats].

For bonus points, you need 185,000 stored levels to get the max of 200. To gather these the most efficient method is to transmogrify around ~800 and repeat (the late levels take too much exp to be worth it). And yes, it's not linear. You get 50 BP at 12K levels stored, 100 BP at 37K, and so on.
It takes about 20 hours to get all 185K levels on a unit tweaked for max efficiency: i.e. any unit that can target the 3x3 square formation in CoO3.
You can also try BoE, trickier and you need to be strong to pull it at low levels.

Transmogrifying into genius gives 10 more BPs.

Maxes are 40YBB per stat plus 210 BPs. Have fun. ^^
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Sorry I forgot to ask, can you lose Bonus points? can you reach maximum stats if you Transmigrate at say, level 50 all the time granted it will take much longer to reach max stats?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

franpa wrote:Sorry I forgot to ask, can you lose Bonus points?
Yes, you can.

You cannot lose stored levels, so once you have 185K you have 200 bonus points, but if you don't transmogrify into genius you won't have the +10 remaining ones.

Yellow bars depend on the stats you have as you transmigrate, and you need 300K in stats and 1.2M hp to max them. Anything under that and your YBB isn't maxed.

So if you transmogrify a perfect unit, then redo it right off the bat at level 3, you'll lose a LOT of YBB (and hence stats).
can you reach maximum stats if you Transmigrate at say, level 50 all the time granted it will take much longer to reach max stats?
I won't take 'much longer' - you just can't get 300K stats (without eq, remember) in 50 levels.

The FULL process:

- prepare a good setup to level fast (a badass yoshitsuna for winged slayer, for example) so that weaklings can clear level 500+ mobs in a swipe.
- gather 185K levels (20 hours of transmogrifying at ~800)
- distribute bonus points to have ~70 base points everywhere and all the rest in hp
- pump level to 9999
- you should have stats at 300K and hp above 1.2M
- transmogrify into the desired class as genius
- max YBB, max bonus points: distribute at your leisure, it's the final line
- pump level to ~9990
- pull the same thing with each main student
 - for each main student, pull the same thing with each sub-student.
  - when you're done with your sub-students, level them to 9999
 - then level the main students to 9999
- then level your main unit to 9999.
Then you're done.

The student thing: 'extra gain' [this is the name of the feature] happens at level up, which is why you must level the sub-students before finalizing your main students, then the main unit.
That covers 1 main unit, 7 main students (hp/atk/def/int/res/hit/spd), and 7 sub-students.
15 units total.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

So, it doesn't matter how I transmigrate so long as the last transmigration is done with 300k stats and at Genius level with the max Bonus Levels etc.? so I can transmigrate however I please even using the IQ below Genius until I feel I'm strong enough to quickly level my stats to 300k, reach max Bonus Levels and then Transmigrate to a Genius?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Theoretically, yes.

However, the less quality in your transmogrify, the lower the YBB cap. 40 is genius only.
The more YBB you have the faster you get to the right amount of stats for the 'last step' (300K, 1.2M hp).
Else, you'll have to do it in steps, and it takes a whole lot more time. An extra week of work isn't really worth going without genius, but hey, it's your time. ^^
皆黙って俺について来い!!

franpa
Gecko snack

Re:

Post by franpa »

grinvader wrote:However, the less quality in your transmogrify, the lower the YBB cap. 40 is genius only.
It's been a while but I just realized I didn't quite understand some of the stuff you mentioned, I'm wondering if you both still remember this stuff and if you can be bothered to help clarify some stuff you've mentioned.

I want to know if I can transmigrate however I please and still end up with a perfect character in the end? You mention stats and health influence the yellow bonuses you get right? So how exactly does choosing a lower quality transmigration level influence the process of gaining YBB (Also how does having lower stats then 300/1.2 million influence it?)? The maximum amount of Bonus Points you can get is always 10 (Genius)?

Edit: I can transmigrate at like level 50 and 100 etc. to get a bonus to help me through the main story etc. without it screwing anything up, right? What kind of impact would that have for someone who isn't following a FAQ to ensure they have the absolute best gear etc. at all times?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Disgaea 1 transmigration question.

Post by grinvader »

- you can't screw up -permanently-. You can always retransmogrify your sub-students, students and main units and redo everything properly to max them out (unlike eq levelling).
- if you transmogrify recklessly, you will need more time (possibly a lot more time) to meet the requirements. As I previously mentionned, the time lost makes "changing the recipe" not worth it. Stick to it until you're done, and then profit.
- YBB increase non-linearly with your stats (without eq) at the moment you transmogrify. First - if you don't transmo into a genius, the hard cap gets lower and lower as quality drops. Genius cap is at 40, and you hit that cap when your stats are around ~300k, with hp being an exception at ~1.2M. Having lower stats makes you have less YBB by a non-linear amount. Less YBB means less initial stats on your next transmogrify. Less initial stats means less stat growth. Less stat growth means you won't hit 300k/1.2M at level 9999, which means you won't get the YBB cap when you transmo again... infinitely. Stick to the recipe.
- I feel your reluctance to use genius is because you can't make the vote pass. If you haven't reached the point where you can force-pass any vote, you're not done with the postgame. Do that first (remember, senators are best handled with the merge technique).
- the maximum amount of bonus points you can get is 210. 10 come from the genius transmo, 200 from the 185K stored levels (once again, non-linearly).
- trying to have the "absolute best gear at all times" is a ridiculous concept in disgaea, where you can turn any cheap piece of shit into something with more stats than is needed to clear up to the mid-postgame.

Now go reread my previous posts to see why transmogrifying at too low levels (like 100) is inefficient during stored level accumulation and plain can't work for final touches, dood.
It's fine during the main game, obviously (and even during the postgame, too). It just doesn't work when your goal is to max one unit out.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Wait so after having a fresh look at it, all stats influence how big the YBB is (Increasing non-linearly, unlike how equipment scales when leveled up?), bonus levels influence the total amount of bonus points you can assign yourself and each tier of transmigration quality has a different cap on YBB?

Clearly if you can max out YBB when choosing Genius, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you at that point choose a quality lower then Genius. So it is safe to not choose Genius until you can exceed the cap of a lower quality? I mean if I can not currently exceed the Distinguished cap then there is no benefit other then inheritance/Bonus Points when choosing Genius, correct? (Which incidentally help me reach the required stats to max out the bonus from YBB and exceeding the Distinguished cap and pushing me over to requiring Genius quality to stay up to speed)

I... think that's all I wanted to ask/query. I hope you can understand it D:
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

franpa wrote:all stats influence how big the YBB is
Each stat influences its own YBB.
(Increasing non-linearly, unlike how equipment scales when leveled up?)
Unlike how your own stats grow at level up. Eq stat growth depends on innocents and item world boss kills, so it's not really linear. Better not compare. :p
bonus levels influence the total amount of bonus points you can assign yourself
Mainly because having more stats means you will grow to have more stats.
It's the main point of transmogrification - example time (with completely made up numbers):
start with a unit that has 10HP at level 1 and grow to have 1000HP at level 50
transmo into the same unit type, now with 17HP at level 1, you'll get 1700HP at level 50
transmo again, you'll have 21HP at level 1... 2100HP at level 50
diminishing returns == convergence == existence of a 'max'.
The transmogrify quality determines the convergence point, so you can't reach the ultimate max unless you go genius.
and each tier of transmigration quality has a different cap on YBB?

Clearly if you can max out YBB when choosing Genius, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you at that point choose a quality lower then Genius.
Yes and yes.
Here're the YBB caps:

Good-for-nothing  15
Incompetent       20
Average           25
Skilled           30
Distinguished     35
Genius            40
So it is safe to not choose Genius until you can exceed the cap of a lower quality?
Quality has another effect. Not going genius will also make the unit 'forget' a bigger % of its skills, which means you need more time to build them back up. Even at max weapon proficiency, it can be a hassle and lengthens the time you need between two transmogrifies.
It's mainly a problem when you accumulate those 185K levels, where you need to keep a 3x3 skill at very high level to minimise time spent. With a genius rating, you don't need any extra time - the amount of times you use it to level back up to ~800 and clear the few ranking fights is enough to restore your skill proficiency.
With lower qualities, keeping a stable skill level means more time.

Aside from that, yes, you -could- stay at distinguished until you hit its cap, but since you have to vote for that one, might as well go genius. ;p

Does that answer your questions ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I believe it does, yes. Quick question, I've never really dabbled in transmogrifying monsters or managing Monster type characters at all lol and was just wondering what the # Kills stat determines when transmogrifying one?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It reduces cost. As in: you can transmo into any monster type that you killed at least one of, but with only one kill it will cost a lot of mana (especially for the late units like wyrm and co.). Kill more of that unit type to reduce the cost. I think the min cost is reached after 30 kills, which is actually hard to get for some monsters that aren't available anywhere in the non-random stages.
You'll need extended trips to item world floors >40 for most of them.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Jayce

Post by Jayce »

Sorry for reviving this thread but I want to clarify things regarding maxing of stats via "Transmigration" as I myself is confuse. :(

I'm currently on my 12th transmigration, and I just need to transmigrate 7 more times to reach the 186,000 stored level.
(I transmigrate every time I reached 9999, so 9999 x 19 = 189 981)

Questions :

1.) On every guide I see, after you reached the max stored levels, you must transmigrate and distribute 67 (or 70 on your guide) on every stat. So why at 67-70 each? What's the point of the part where you distribute in every stat then transmigrate again one last time to distribute in a "specific" stat? Why not just go straight at maxing one stat (for example at "atk" and the left over at "hp") skipping the 2nd to the last transmigration?

1.2) Did the game mentioned the yellow bar cap? I'm just curious.

2.) In your opinion what stat should I maximize in the final part? I plan to max "attack" at 240 then the rest at HP.

3.) After I reach 186k stored levels, what will happen if I transmigrate more after reaching the cap?

4.) Quoting a line from yours : "distribute bonus points to have ~70 base points everywhere and all the rest in hp". Question is why the rest on HP?

5.) Quoting a line on your full process : "you should have stats at 300K and hp above 1.2M", but on some guides, I'm seeing : "at least 1,120,000 HP and 280,000 for other stats (raw stats)." So are those guides numbers exact and yours at estimation? Does that mean if I reached 280k rather than 300k then I did not reach the most stat I could get?

6.) To know if I reached the 40 cap on genius is I should be seeing the 300k stats and 1.2M HP right? Just a yes or no would suffice. Or is there other way?

--

So far by reading most of the guides, this is what I plan to do :

1.) Get 186,000 stored levels and acquire 210 bonus points. (By transmigrating in genius 19 times at level 9999)
2.) Get to 9999 -> Transmigrate -> distribute "at least 67" on every stat and the rest on either HP or ATK.
3.) Check your profile if every stat is at 67 if not reset (Due to stat randomizer).
4.) Get to 9999 and check your profile for 1,200,000 HP and 300,000 for other stats (raw stats). 
5.) Transmigrate (Apply all bonus points at ATK)
6.) Get to 9999 again and never transmigrate as I've reached the max stat I could get via transmigrating. 
So in total, I'll be transmigrating 22 times to reach the final stage.

Anything wrong or I should add?

Regarding extra gain. From your process, you stated that you need 14 students in total (7 main, 7 sub.). The 7 main signify each stat as stats from multiple students don't stack (The highest value in that particular stat is the one where you'll get the bonus.) However, I wanna ask a couple of things.

1.) Why only 7 sub student (Meaning 1 sub student per main student.), isn't it possible to even expand the system by making 7 main student -> 7 sub student "per" main student -> another 7 "sub-sub" student "per" sub student and so on.. making a pyramid. (Although there's a cap of 104 students you could only create);

2.) From your guide you shouldn't max your main character first when doing the extra gain process. What if i already reached my final reincarnation but wanted to do the process? Does that mean I need to transmigrate again and later (after maxing the 14 students) repeat the final 2 steps in maxing transmigration. (The parts where you distribute 67-70 in each stats then later transmigrating again one last time for the final method.)

3.) If I want to maximize the stats gained from extra gain, what characters should I make for the 14 students? 14 Divine Majins comes to mind however, are there any other characters with higher base stat with DM? Let's say Galactic Demon for defense, Galaxy mage for int? etc. OR DM has the highest stats of all characters?

I hope you can answer my questions.I would really really appreciate it :) Sorry if there are wrong grammar, I'm not fluent in english. :P
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Jayce wrote:I'm currently on my 12th transmigration, and I just need to transmigrate 7 more times to reach the 186,000 stored level.
(I transmigrate every time I reached 9999, so 9999 x 19 = 189 981)
That's a horribly time-wasting choice. It's around 6 times slower to transmogrify at 9999. I'm not pulling these numbers out of my ass, btw. Plain old maths.
Anyway, it's your life.
1.) On every guide I see, after you reached the max stored levels, you must transmigrate and distribute 67 (or 70 on your guide) on every stat. So why at 67-70 each?
The stat you have at level 1 dictates the stat you have at level 9999.
What's the point of the part where you distribute in every stat then transmigrate again one last time to distribute in a "specific" stat? Why not just go straight at maxing one stat (for example at "atk" and the left over at "hp") skipping the 2nd to the last transmigration?
Efficiency. You need ~300k in a stat to get the most YBB when you transmogrify for the final time.
To get that much at level 9999, you need ~70 on your base level 1 stat. Anything less prevents you from reaching the maximum even at level 9999.
You can reach 300k earlier than 9999 if you stack more than 70 at level 1, but it's actually harder to get enough YBB points to pull that rather than just levelling to 9999.
So... efficiency.
1.2) Did the game mentioned the yellow bar cap? I'm just curious.
Implicitely. Try it out using an extra save slot - transmogrify a powerful unit into a good for nothing, you'll hit the cap (15) easily.
2.) In your opinion what stat should I maximize in the final part? I plan to max "attack" at 240 then the rest at HP.
There's no reason not to max everything. This is Disgaea, dood. MAX EVERYTHING. Also, sardines.
Anyway, what final stat profile you go with depends what final class you transmogrify as. Obviously you won't stack attack on your gun-toting space pirate.
3.) After I reach 186k stored levels, what will happen if I transmigrate more after reaching the cap?
A waste of time:
- storing more levels is useless
- the goal is to get the most powerful <unit>, tailored to suit its class' strengths and weaknesses. You might very well not reach 300k in several stats with that unit. If you transmogrify it, it will grow weaker than it was. Then you'll have to transmogrify it back into divine majin/prinny god, repump it to 1.2M HP & 300K stats, and transmogrify again back into your desired class. Tedious.
The only purpose would be to fix something you didn't do right with student extra gains.
4.) Quoting a line from yours : "distribute bonus points to have ~70 base points everywhere and all the rest in hp". Question is why the rest on HP?
You have to hit ~1.2M hp at level 9999, and you definitely need 70 points (or 67 if that's more optimised, I'd rather not waste several hours just for 20 points) per other stats at level 1 - so the rest goes on hp, by default.
5.) Quoting a line on your full process : "you should have stats at 300K and hp above 1.2M", but on some guides, I'm seeing : "at least 1,120,000 HP and 280,000 for other stats (raw stats)." So are those guides numbers exact and yours at estimation? Does that mean if I reached 280k rather than 300k then I did not reach the most stat I could get?
I don't use guides (well, technically I build my own), so my values aren't that precise - you'll admit I was close enough. My stat growth formula was probably a bit off.
6.) To know if I reached the 40 cap on genius is I should be seeing the 300k stats and 1.2M HP right? Just a yes or no would suffice. Or is there other way?
Aye. Once you have these stats, you can transmogrify as Genius and it will give you 40 YBB per stat. Then you distribute the 210 bonus points on top as you wish.

1.) Get 186,000 stored levels and acquire 210 bonus points. (By transmigrating in genius 19 times at level 9999)
See my first point. Especially if you plan on doing more than one unit (which is necessary if you actually want TRUE MAX stats due to extra gain), you want to make that part go as fast as possible.
Personal experience is transmogrifying around level 800 farming CoO3 with max 'Stronger Enemies' and a level 300 Statistician on your weapon. That will net you 185K stored levels under a day.

2.) Get to 9999 -> Transmigrate -> distribute "at least 67" on every stat and the rest on either HP or ATK.
No, 67 on ATK and all the rest on HP. You don't want to risk not hitting 1.2M.

3.) Check your profile if every stat is at 67 if not reset (Due to stat randomizer).
Forgot about that one. Another advantage of going with 70 everywhere, didn't have to care for the potential -1.

4.) Get to 9999 and check your profile for 1,200,000 HP and 300,000 for other stats (raw stats).
5.) Transmigrate (Apply all bonus points at ATK)
Assuming your final class is attack based.

6.) Get to 9999 again and never transmigrate as I've reached the max stat I could get via transmigrating. 
Assuming you don't care about extra gain.
So in total, I'll be transmigrating 22 times to reach the final stage.
Up to you.
1.) Why only 7 sub student (Meaning 1 sub student per main student.), isn't it possible to even expand the system by making 7 main student -> 7 sub student "per" main student -> another 7 "sub-sub" student "per" sub student and so on.. making a pyramid. (Although there's a cap of 104 students you could only create);
Several things:
1) the cap: if you do 7 subs per student for 7 students, that's 57 slots (1 top + 7 students + 49 subs). Meaning you can only do it once (104 < 57*2). And if you try sub-subs... you can't do even one unit (1+7+49+343 = 400 WHOOPS). Maybe one of the many Disgaea 1 remakes bumped the char limit above 400 ? Have fun doing that process FOUR HUNDRED BLEEDING times.
2) it's faster to build a single-maxed-stat student than a full-blown 7-stats student, especially due to next point:
3) you won't use the students in battle. Seriously. You end up with a bloody munchkin who wipes the floor with uber prinny baal in a single back-and-forth counter attack string (much more efficient than skills at that point). You also don't have to burn several months on gearing out these 7 characters with perfect eq.
2.) From your guide you shouldn't max your main character first when doing the extra gain process. What if i already reached my final reincarnation but wanted to do the process? Does that mean I need to transmigrate again and later (after maxing the 14 students) repeat the final 2 steps in maxing transmigration. (The parts where you distribute 67-70 in each stats then later transmigrating again one last time for the final method.)
Yup. Again, since it's rather tedious, better remember to keep the unit a few levels under 9999 until the students (and their subs) are maxed.
3.) If I want to maximize the stats gained from extra gain, what characters should I make for the 14 students? 14 Divine Majins comes to mind however, are there any other characters with higher base stat with DM? Let's say Galactic Demon for defense, Galaxy mage for int? etc. OR DM has the highest stats of all characters?
Note, I usually store levels on divine majins because of the huge stats and easy weapon mastery maintenance. Then after storing, transmo to Prinny God with 70 stats so you can transmogrify to both humanoid and monster units once you hit 9999.
Now, it has been a while, so after checking some FAQs it should be
HP: Sphinx
SP: Galaxy Mage (or Skull, but booo)
ATK: Divine Majin / Kagutsuchi
DEF: Argus
INT: Divine Majin
RES: Argus
HIT: Bastet
SPD: Shinobi
So... it should be feasible to only use 5 main students. Good to know, I guess.
Edit: wait no, nevermind. You still need a DM with max atk and another with max int after the final process for real max stats, same with argus. 1+5+5 would just halfass it.

Hope that answers everything.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Holy on-topic necromancy batman! I best re-subscribe to the topic.