Saving the game

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

moil60

Saving the game

Post by moil60 »

Hey so im playing secret of mana and i saved (in the game) not a save state. then i came back later and it disappeared. so now i have to start the game again. i also made a save state and i dont know how they work. it makes this little ZST folder. and i open ZSNES from that but on the bottom left hand corner it says bad rom.

whats this renaming thing? i read about it before but didnt really get it.

also when i downloaded the game theres like 10 of them in different languages. i click on the english one and once that opens it makes a SRM file. can i delete that? what does it do? when i click on it Zsnes opens up and it says bad rom again.

thanks

running window XP Zsnes 1.51
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

1) Make sure you define a save directory in ZSNES (Config->Saves).

2) DO NOT open savestate files with ZSNES directly. That's not how you're supposed use them. Hit F4 to load the savestates AFTER the game is loaded.

3) SRM files are the saves that are made in-game (they are not the same as savestates). ZSNES will open those automatically AFTER the game is loaded. DO NOT open these files directly with ZSNES.

In the future, please read the docs that come with ZSNES.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

stop stop stop.

first off, unzip your ROMs - you don't want more than one ROM image in a zip file. more than likely, your level of expertise demands you just unzip them all, preferably to the same location.

second, don't run zsnes by double-clicking a ROM image in explorer unless you've set up a shortcut for the app with working directory et al set properly (which you haven't, and is a discussion for another time and place).

just run zsnes, load your ROM from the load dialog.

you do not load battery save files (*.srm) or save states (*.zst/*.zs#/*.z##) from the load ROM dialog.

SRM files are automatically created and managed. don't touch.

savestates should be loaded the same way you created them - either from the "load state" menu option or the F4 key.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

If not defining a save directory, you can run the game and it will automatically save to the ROM directory (as long as the ROM is not on something read-only, like a CD).
moil60

Post by moil60 »

ok sweet. ive got it.

thank you very much!!