PCSX2 Playground 0.1.0.395: can't use analog?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

PCSX2 Playground 0.1.0.395: can't use analog?

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

I know that this version is a beta version, but the controller plugins I'm using are not (LilyPad 0.9.4 and SSSPSX 1.7.0). So, I configured the playstation controller to other emulators like SnesGT/PJ 64 and they all seem to work fine. However, on ePSXe and PCSX2 1.0.0935, the analog sticks can't be configured no matter what I do. That's one of the reasons I got this adapter was so I could use analog (for games like Kingdom Hearts, etc, that require it). But, no! The stupid plugin doesn't let me assign it! Any ideas? The driver for the PSX/PS2 to USB is properly installed.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

i consider any version of a plugin to have a 0.x.x build number to be beta....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Are there any plugins that can resolve this issue?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

you've switched the controller over to analog mode, right?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Yep. Already tried that. Didn't do jack squat. I've tried various plugins, went to emuforums.com and I'm worried by the fact that some have speculated that DirectInput prevents analog from working. This can't be right, I've heard of people getting it to work.

Edit 8:23PM: Here's what I find weird; playstation and PS2 seem to be the only systems where analog refuses to work. Why, just now I was playing PJ64 1.7.0.49 (*gasp* a beta version!) and when I press "analog", the "c-stick" and "d-pad" are emulated properly. WTC? Why this is the case is beyond me...
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Any suggestions?
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

As soon pSX Author get PSX2 coding working on pSX the way he want it. You probably just drop PCSX2 for pSX permit. Btw I will be all over pSX when the PSX2 games are working on pSX. You won't even need any plugins for pSX.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Well, a slight update on the situation. I rebooted the computer and that seemed to help the LilyPad plugin detect that both analog sticks were "there" and configured them. Even after doing that, they still won't work in any games. And about pSX, I'm not sure I want to wait that long.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You could, I dunno.... buy a PS2?
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

I do have a PS2, it's just this way is more convenient. I was merely asking if it's possible to first, configure a plugin to accept input from the analog sticks, and second, if it can be used. If it can work on PJ64 (which uses DirectInput), then why can't PCSX2/ePSXe (which also uses it)? Game pad discrimination? Something doesn't make sense here and I want to know why this can't be done...
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

different plugin?
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

All ready tried SSSPSX 1.7.0, MegaPad 1.2.0, TwinPad 0.7.0, LilyPad 0.9.4 and PADzenogais (DX9) 1.1.0. On the LilyPad plugin, I was able to configure the analog sticks once (after reboot), and even when I enabled it on the psx controller, PS/PS2 emulators still didn't "find" them. The next thing I tried was to enable "allow binding axes to buttons/allow multiple binding" and that didn't work.
The last I tried was assigning L1/R1 Axis, L2/R2 Axis and L3/R3 axis. Now here's what I find weird. That worked to a degree, but it still was way off. When I loaded a game like Grandia 3, I could move, but only in one direction; by holding the left analog stick in the back position, somehow, that moved the character forward. Okay, that makes no sense whatsoever. You'd think a PSX/PS2 controller would work like it was meant to work on an PS2 emulator.
LilyPad is the only plugin that allows me to configure this controller. SSSPSX have odd behavior when I configure it. On all the buttons I tried to change, it would show the default assigned key, I click on it and said "timeout" for a split second and then assign any key to "JO_AXIS6_MIN".
This is really starting to piss me off. I guess asking programmers to make a plugin that works with PS2 controllers is like asking Microsoft to make a problem free Windows; either way, it ain't gonna happen. We're screwed if we do and screwed if we don't.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

sounds like you're thinking, "should've got that 360 controller"

but i don't know. i've never had issues getting controllers to work, whether it's psX, zsnes, epsxe, or a pc game. but then again, i only use pc controllers. including my wired 360 controller
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Whether or not this controller is a PS/PS2 or an Xbox 360, they both use analog sticks, the issue should be irrelevant. Why else would the C-stick work on PJ64 without any issues and yet PS/PS2 emulators can't use analog in their plugins? Gee, that's a mystery. All the other PSX to USB adaptors I saw all had crappy reviews, so, I found this one and EVERYTHING ELSE (SNES, NES, GBA, N64, etc) WORKS FINE. (Nothing but poorly programmed PCSX2 plugins, IMHO)
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Whether or not this controller is a PS/PS2 or an Xbox 360, they both use analog sticks, the issue should be irrelevant.
when you used the word "should" you should have stopped to check yourself.

Huge differences between controllers made FOR the pc and backed by monster companies like MS or logitech and radioshack adaptors made in china. example: in L4D, if you decide to switch from keyboard/mouse to a 360 controller, prompts change from showing a key during a hint to actually saying "Press B" with a picture of the B button. None of that button 1, button 7 crap.

add to that the fact you could be very right about poor plug-ins (yet hid the statement for whatever reason) and i'm not very surprised that it's not working.

i've heard far fewer success stories than frustration stories about any console to pc adapter.

Odds are much better that people would be able to help on the actual emulator or plug-in author website, though. In the end, i do hope you get it working. just stop talking stupid
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Sorry about that, it's just when you spend money on something like this, you'd expect it to work the way it's meant to. But, alas, there's not much that can be done about this. I've heard that pSX author is working on another version of pSX that has PS2 emulation. Hopefully one day, when that's out, it'll have support for these kind of controller.