bsnes v0.039 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

My TV is a awesome Samsung Model 6 46" with a 30$ bluray player. blacks are black, whites are white ^_^ but terrible screen lag when playing the SNES... no lag at all when playing the Gamecube, (but appearance is terrible due to composite cable) PS2 or Wii.

I wouldn't mind the SNES if there wasn't a 0.4 seconds delay between what I do and what appears :/
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Panzer88 wrote:then why are tvs 16:9 and monitors 16:10

that sounds an aweful lot like not the same, but I could be wrong.
Not all modern LCD widescreen monitors are 16:10. the vast majority, yes, but not all.

Frankly, this whole issue wouldn't be a problem if the fucking HDTV people had chosen a damn 16:10 resolution in the first place...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

or a 21:9 cinema Aspect Ratio screen :)

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/20/phil ... ease-date/

no, it does make sense for computer monitors to be less wide, and televisions to be more wide, so it is not a bad thing, it does make sense.

monitors are gonna stay 16:10 and tvs are gonna stay 16:9 at least.

16:9 is not actually a bad idea for a rotatable screen. More monitors should be an an axis that can rotate to horizontal or vertical orientations.

take a devise like the iPhone as an example, vertical for web pages or vertical shooters, horizontal for movies and side scrollers. etc.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Now imagine playing a 4:3 game on that screen....ewwww!

P.S. Screw that display,I want the appartment :D
Last edited by kick on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

kick wrote:Now imagine playing a 4:3 game on that screen....ewwww!
yeah there would be huge black borders instead of my wall or speakers or a decorative table just outside the picture
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

I want an even wider 24:9 screen,so I can run two 4:3 emulator / game windows side-by-side.It's a great replacement for dual-head.

24:9 FTW :D
Last edited by kick on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I think computer displays went widescreen well before the HDTV standard was finalized. Now that 16:9 content exists and is becoming more abundant, there's a push for screens that can display it without bars or funny scaling.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:
grinvader wrote:You're using Saturn-grade logic, which is why he's laughing. So am I.
Be nice! If you piss him off, he'll ask to have all his posts deleted and not come back! :(
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

New WIP.

I added FirebrandX's controller image (let me know if you don't have the WIP link and want to check it out, FB.)

I also added Derrick's SVG logo for now. The contest thing isn't over yet, and I like DMM's the best so far (sans the aliasing issues.) But the auto-resizing to exactly what I want is too nice to pass up. I think I'm going to require SVG for the final submission at this point.
Side note: Qt supports SVG for auto-scaling, but I use a PNG anyway as not all Qt libs are going to have SVG support built-in. I still want SVG for website / print purposes.

For belegdol, I added SDL hat support. It only works with the first hat, as I figured those four-controller-as-one-device cheapass drivers might not work well if every single players' hat manipulates the same controller. You'll have to let me know how it works, since SDL doesn't detect my joypad's hats.

I'd also like it if someone could test the X-Video RGB support. Anyone with an RGB overlay surface can do so just by selecting the Xv driver.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

FitzRoy wrote:

I think computer displays went widescreen well before the HDTV standard was finalized. Now that 16:9 content exists and is becoming more abundant, there's a push for screens that can display it without bars or funny scaling.
Considering that the HDTV standard was finalized in the mid '90s... I'd say no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-defin ... ompression

Note, that article's layout is lame so I can't just link to a single section. It talks about the finalizing across three short sections. -_-
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

kick wrote:Now imagine playing a 4:3 game on that screen....ewwww!

P.S. Screw that display,I want the appartment :D
this is where projectors come into play :D

and yes, I'll take the appartment also. Still, you can't beat the brightness of monitor screens, 24:9 it is, cheers.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I.S.T. wrote:I have a shitty CRT that squishes the damn picture if you run it at 1280x1024. Three actually(low end CRTs=FAIL.).
I can't tell if you're joking here or not. Plz clarify.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

blackmyst wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:I have a shitty CRT that squishes the damn picture if you run it at 1280x1024. Three actually(low end CRTs=FAIL.).
how do i turned knob
diminish

Post by diminish »

gllt wrote:
blackmyst wrote:
how do i turned knob
My CRT squishes at 1280x960, but not at 1280x1024, how bad is that? Horizontal size (0..100) at 100 leaves black borders.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

gllt wrote:
blackmyst wrote:
how do i turned knob
there are CRT monitors with OSD setups too, still I haven't seen or encountered one that couldn't stretch an image properly except a really, really, ancient one.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

gllt wrote:how do i turned knob
...on my '89 spinach-green screen :)
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

byuu wrote:New WIP.

I added FirebrandX's controller image (let me know if you don't have the WIP link and want to check it out, FB.)

I also added Derrick's SVG logo for now. The contest thing isn't over yet, and I like DMM's the best so far (sans the aliasing issues.) But the auto-resizing to exactly what I want is too nice to pass up. I think I'm going to require SVG for the final submission at this point.
Side note: Qt supports SVG for auto-scaling, but I use a PNG anyway as not all Qt libs are going to have SVG support built-in. I still want SVG for website / print purposes.

For belegdol, I added SDL hat support. It only works with the first hat, as I figured those four-controller-as-one-device cheapass drivers might not work well if every single players' hat manipulates the same controller. You'll have to let me know how it works, since SDL doesn't detect my joypad's hats.

I'd also like it if someone could test the X-Video RGB support. Anyone with an RGB overlay surface can do so just by selecting the Xv driver.
I don't see the control graphic, where did you hide it? (winXP sp3)
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Check out this new Samsung screen:

32:9 aspect ratio - ULTRA WIDE

Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Panzer88 wrote:or a 21:9 cinema Aspect Ratio screen :)
Why do they call it 21:9? Does it sound more impressive than 7:3? :roll:
(to be fair, I could say the same thing about 16:10, which should be 8:5.. but in that case there's the 16:9 aspect ratio to compare it to)
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I.S.T. wrote:Considering that the HDTV standard was finalized in the mid '90s... I'd say no.
Okay, new theory: computer widescreen was introduced before it was readily apparent that HDTV was the future of the market and not some niche product for rich people with barely any content to speak of.
byuu wrote:But the auto-resizing to exactly what I want is too nice to pass up.
Thanks for letting us know about that particular requirement beforehand. :/
byuu wrote:I added FirebrandX's controller image
Not showing up for me on my Vista box.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

kick wrote:Check out this new Samsung screen:

32:9 aspect ratio - ULTRA WIDE

is that for real? WTF? I guess for window management instead of having 2 monitors? still, jeez, at least the 21:9 was for watching blur rays, many of which are that ratio. Nice find, just for the crazyness of it. Do you have a link? or are you just bullshiting me.
Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:or a 21:9 cinema Aspect Ratio screen :)
Why do they call it 21:9? Does it sound more impressive than 7:3? :roll:
(to be fair, I could say the same thing about 16:10, which should be 8:5.. but in that case there's the 16:9 aspect ratio to compare it to)
they did it for the same reason, to be comparable to other x:9 ratios.
Rhapsody
Rookie

Post by Rhapsody »

Panzer88 wrote:is that for real? WTF?
I'm guessing not. The Samsung logo and whatever that is in the lower left of the picture both look stretched to me. Hard to say for certain, but I think he just doubled the width of the image. Halving it makes it look very similar to my bog-standard 16:10 LCD.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

figured, that actually would make sense for a video game come to think of it, having insanely panoramic view might be kind of odd though.

Anyways, back on topic, testing the WIP now byuu.
belegdol
Hazed

Post by belegdol »

byuu wrote:For belegdol, I added SDL hat support. It only works with the first hat, as I figured those four-controller-as-one-device cheapass drivers might not work well if every single players' hat manipulates the same controller. You'll have to let me know how it works, since SDL doesn't detect my joypad's hats.
The hat support still needs some work:
1. All hat directions can be assigned in gui, but the resulting entry has the same name as if it were an axis.
2. In game, only "up" direction works when pressed on the hat, others work with axes (even though the set up was done using the hat). This might be related to 1.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

blackmyst wrote:
Dammit, that's what I get for typing when I've only had 3 hours of sleep within 36 hours. I meant 1280x960.