A furious magician

Anything else related to bsnes goes there.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

byuu wrote:
I understand that getting a high-performance, attractive GUI under Linux is difficult, but byuu, sinamas, BearOso and AamirM have all been attacking that particular problem for a while now...
Sadly, GNOME/Xfce users are going to see a major hit in UI aesthetic with the Qt rewrite. Even QGtkStyle looks terrible there. But I suppose it won't be any worse than using k3b and Amarok now. And the split between KDE v GNOME et al is roughly 50/50 anyway. KDE users will at least be happier.
At least for Xfce, Xfce looks like crap anyway.
I'ts basically "windows classic view" with more color options

People use it for the lack of bloat
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

Yet most people seem to like bloat.... :? Guess it gives them a excuse to validate thier purchase of "high end" hardware. But seriously, nothing is wrong with minimalism when it comes to GUI design.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

h4tred wrote:
Yet most people seem to like bloat.... :? Guess it gives them a excuse to validate thier purchase of "high end" hardware. But seriously, nothing is wrong with minimalism when it comes to GUI design.
Personally i believe in the (relatively unrealistic) approach that every program written should run nicely on old hardware (386) but also optimized to use modern hardware where available (x64, sse4.1)

This may sound odd, but Bsnes actually follows this rule partly, It's the emulation of the snes that uses a lot of cpu cycles, the rest of bsnes hardly uses any CPU/RAM

PS
I am happily surprised that Microsoft finally took this approach with Windows 7, it runs wonderfully on extremely old hardware (often better than XP)
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

Personally i believe in the (relatively unrealistic) approach that every program written should run nicely on old hardware (386) but also optimized to use modern hardware where available (x64, sse4.1)
But really, it is possible to make code as efficient as possible, so it runs well on old hardware. Using modern CPU extensions is no excuse for not using efficient code. Makes me wonder why people say Vista "makes use of your hardware", when in fact its so bloated it has no choice but to be a CPU/RAM hog.. I rather it take as less RAM as possible than as much as possible.

That said, I agree with what you said about BSNES. The UI and wrapper libs seem nice, its just the LLE thats the issue imo.

Not to mention about Windows 7. Bout goddamn time MS got its head out of its ass.
byuu

Post by byuu »

h4tred wrote:That said, I agree with what you said about BSNES. The UI and wrapper libs seem nice, its just the LLE thats the issue imo.
You have my permission to use the bsnes UI, and replace it with your own core. Get the same compatibility and I'll merge your core into my port :D
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Even with slightly less compatibility you could offer it as an option. Then when you begin work on the new PPU you'll have three options: high system requirements, low system requirements, insane system requirements. (although it would be nice if you could get the new PPU to run in realtime, I'm not sure if you've changed your mind on whether that's going to happen)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

tetsuo55 wrote:PS
I am happily surprised that Microsoft finally took this approach with Windows 7, it runs wonderfully on extremely old hardware (often better than XP)
Care to share your meaning of "extremely old hardware" (eg: specs?)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

h4tred wrote:Not to mention about Windows 7. Bout goddamn time MS got its head out of its ass.
tetsuo55 wrote:I am happily surprised that Microsoft finally took this approach with Windows 7, it runs wonderfully on extremely old hardware (often better than XP)
What are you two talking about? Windows 7 is noticably less demanding than Vista, but it's still considerably more demanding than XP.
For 7 to be effecient, it would need to be as demanding as XP (or better yet, LESS demanding).

As someone else mentioned, tetsuo55, please define "extremely old hardware". As for both of you, I don't understand: you call vista bloated, and then say that microsoft is "along the right track" just because windows 7 doesn't use considerably more than vista? 7 is still bloated, period.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Franky:

SHUT
UP

Consider that the minimum drive space for vista is ~10 GB IIRC

now consider win 7 needs ~6.25GB

profit

Also, the startup is still sluggish. After you login it's all gravy.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

**excuse the double post, on the iPod touch and it doesn't allow for cut+paste, and I just thought of this now.**
Franky wrote:As someone else mentioned, tetsuo55, please define "extremely old hardware".
You know, that someone was me..

NSRT here.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

"now consider win 7 needs ~6.25GB"

Wow. I going get one when I have the chance.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Dullaron wrote:"now consider win 7 needs ~6.25GB"

Wow. I going get one when I have the chance.
I dunno they're pretty big, where will you put it.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

if you altered Vista or Windows 7 to refer to the disc for drivers and stuff instead of your hard drive, then I'm pretty sure Vista and Windows 7 will consume notably less hard drive space.

Windows 98 consumed like 150mb without drivers and 600mb~ with the drivers copied off the install disc.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

franpa wrote:if you altered Vista or Windows 7 to refer to the disc for drivers and stuff instead of your hard drive, then I'm pretty sure Vista and Windows 7 will consume notably less hard drive space.

Windows 98 consumed like 150mb without drivers and 600mb~ with the drivers copied off the install disc.
True, also look into nLite and vLite. (presumably there will be one for Windows 7)
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

You have my permission to use the bsnes UI, and replace it with your own core. Get the same compatibility and I'll merge your core into my port :D
Is that a challenge? :P Seriously though, that idea you had of a SNESGT like emu is one I like. Though cramming performance with cycle accuracy seems awesome. Really shows that the Gambatte and Nestopia devs are gods :(.

And I don't have any experience with SNES HW sorry :(.
Should be 2GB, but meh, can't have everything. Least Windows 7 is a improvement.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Does Linux come with everything you need out of the box? no? is that why it is massively smaller then Windows? yes? good now shush.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

h4tred wrote:
Should be 2GB, but meh, can't have everything. Least Windows 7 is a improvement.
That was sarcastic :V

also at ^ post
everyone forgets about other unix based OSes and not unix based projects don't they :\
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

franpa wrote:Does Linux come with everything you need out of the box?
Yes.
no?
YES.
is that why it is massively smaller then Windows?
No.
yes?
NO.
good now shush.
....maybe.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

No.
yes?
NO.
i remember somewhere in early 200X, fully bloated Linux Mandrake 9.xx.xx installer was 4 (physicially) CD in size.
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

Rashidi wrote:
No.
yes?
NO.
i remember somewhere in early 200X, fully bloated Linux Mandrake 9.xx.xx installer was 4 (physicially) CD in size.
Well, sure - a full set of Debian install media runs to about 23 CDs. But Ubuntu puts most of the packages you're likely to want on a single CD, as well as a LiveCD image that includes duplicate, unpacked copies of many of those same packages. And not just a bare-bones install - it even includes things like OpenOffice.org.

If Vista is too big to fit on a CD and doesn't include a LiveCD image or application software, then I'd say yes - Linux is massively smaller than Windows.

Anyway, I was mostly just trying my hand at the ZSNES Board Official Sport of teasing franpa.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

An arch linux install cd is about 140 mb... much less for the network install.

Sure, only the bare essentials come on the disc, but you can easily (with the use of the package manager called "pacman") access all the software you like (web browsers, office suites, text editors, etc, etc, etc).
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

NSRT here.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

adventure_of_link wrote:www.reactos.org

I win
OS's in an alpha state don't count.

You lose.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.