Not disappointed anymore

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

ZH/Franky

Not disappointed anymore

Post by ZH/Franky »

The re5 demo was released on the european psn the other day. I download it. I play it. It sucks.

Probably because it's a demo, but ohwell. The real deal will be better, I hope.

The gameplay was good, and the controls were coherent. Technically, it's brilliant. But I couldn't help noticing some lag in many places (i HOPE this is because it's not using all core's in the PS3's CBE; i.e. I hope they seriously optimize it for the release of the real deal). The chainsaw dude gets you, and you don't fucking die (that woman "heals" you).
Well, at least your partner is not an incompetent daughter of a president this time. She's a whole load of WIN compared to ashley, who can only jump down ladders with your assistance, climb up walls with your assistance, and not die with your assistance... This new woman on the other hand, heals herself, heals YOU, shoots enemies, doesn't get you killed, doesn't get kidnapped, doesn't scream "HELP ME" in an extremely annoying manor every 10 seconds.

What really got me was the new inventory system. The one re4 had was brilliant. The one re5 has is crap. They should not have changed it.

I definitely couldn't help but notice that the enemy AI is of sub-par quality.

It also wasn't scary. When I play Resident Evil, I want to literally shit my pants.

So, anyone else played?
Last edited by ZH/Franky on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I don't think you understand the meaning of "literally".

At least, I hope that's the case.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

blackmyst wrote:I don't think you understand the meaning of "literally".

At least, I hope that's the case.
Literally:
the act of being literal. Whereby you cast no ambiguity, and blah blah blah, well, when you mean in absolute 100% seriousness what you say, word for word.

No, I do understand the meaning of "literally", but the "when i play re i want to literally shit my pants" thing was sarcasm.
...Perhaps the phrase "shit a brick" would have been more appropriate?
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

it doesn' t suck, but I knew that re5 was going to be second rate every time I saw new updates. This is really team b, the coop looks great but all the animations and engine are copy and paste of RE4, very little innovation, I look forward to a few new context sensitive locations, and I'm sure it'll be entertaining, but I want them to come back with their A team, do new animations, push things FORWARD instead of copying them, and finish the story with Leon and Ada that left us hanging at the end of RE4.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
diminish

Re: Disapointed

Post by diminish »

Franky wrote:(i HOPE this is because it's not using all core's in the PS3's CBE;
What did you have in mind? PS3's Cell has one PPE which supports 2 hardware threads and 7 SPEs (one reserved by the OS for ciphering and stuffs, not mentioned 8th one locked-out). So there is basically one 'typical' core as of PPE (second thread comes from similar solution to Intel's Hyper-Threading, simplifying much AFAIK), 2 + 6 hardware threads for programmer.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Panzer88 wrote:it doesn' t suck, but I knew that re5 was going to be second rate every time I saw new updates. This is really team b...
Well, yeah.
Everybody but Keiji Inafune left after the Clover mess.
Shinji Mikami is gone.

...but I want them to come back with their A team, do new animations, push things FORWARD instead of copying them, and finish the story with Leon and Ada that left us hanging at the end of RE4.
You ask the impossible.

They moved all their talent to Clover Studio to get them out from under the board's constant bitching so they could make good games instead of arguing over bullet lists and fighting about customer surveys that said stupid things like "we want circle-strafing in Resident Evil."

Then the board started demanding more creative control in Clover games, and everyone left.

Then Capcom closed Clover.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I know....

... but I want a REAL sequel dammit!
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Franky wrote:But I couldn't help noticing some lag in many places (i HOPE this is because it's not using all core's in the PS3's CBE; i.e. I hope they seriously optimize it for the release of the real deal).
what, you mean to say they finally got a program a little too powerful for the PS3? :shock:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
neoblaze
8-bit Moderator

Post by neoblaze »

ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Franky wrote:But I couldn't help noticing some lag in many places (i HOPE this is because it's not using all core's in the PS3's CBE; i.e. I hope they seriously optimize it for the release of the real deal).
what, you mean to say they finally got a program a little too powerful for the PS3? :shock:
No, not really. It runs perfectly fine; the lag is only minor, and only really happens when there's a lot of action (compared to the usual amount of action, that is); but I notice things that most people wouldn't, so....

I'm guessing that since it's a demo, they haven't really optimized the game much yet.

Game developers do that: they get the actual thing working, release a demo, whatever, and then later into development, they start optimizing. So like, the "I hope they aren't fully using the PS3's hardware" in the demo meant "I hope they're only using like, ONE core, and that they'll fully optimize it for speed, and also to fully use the PS3's hardware, so that it runs smoothly on my machine when I actually go out and buy the game".

EDIT: I should mention that my definition of "serious lag" is when, say the max framerate if 60 fps.... serious lag is when between 1 to 5 frames are dropped each second; any more than that and it's a "emergency situation".

All of this said, I put up with lag when playing (and completing, 6 times) the PS2 version of re4, and the lag is CONSIDERABLY high there, whereas with re5 on ps3, the lag isn't that bad, so I guess it's acceptable. Like I said, I'm willing to bet that the lag will be gone in the official release, so there's probably nothing to worry about.
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

So like, the "I hope they aren't fully using the PS3's hardware" in the demo meant "I hope they're only using like, ONE core, and that they'll fully optimize it for speed, and also to fully use the PS3's hardware, so that it runs smoothly on my machine when I actually go out and buy the game".
...Speak more coherantly. And so what if they use all the components? Its a PS3 for fucks sake: its all standardised. Its not like they have to make it use as less resources as possible as they are not dealing with multiple configs. :roll:
Tell me about it. Franky in general is annoying.
OT: You should do more trax. Is Seifer still around and doin music?
neoblaze
8-bit Moderator

Post by neoblaze »

h4tred wrote:
OT: You should do more trax. Is Seifer still around and doin music?
I'm not sure, I haven't spoken to Seifer for quite some time. And yeah, I need to gather enough inspiration to actually compose something new soon. I have a number of ideas grinding around in my head, I just need to get motivated! ^^
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

h4tred wrote:
low blow, he can't help it
diminish

Post by diminish »

Been playing this for a couple of hours with a friend on offline co-op. Gameplay is very challenging and interesting, involves thinking and planning. Sheva has really cool design, graphics aren't as special as it would seem, but as with Sheva, everything have this 'touch' of well planned design (maybe except indoors). I noticed some fps drops (again this is co-op), but it was only minor stuff. Inventory system is ok (having items assigned to dpad directions), controls are generally that of REs. What I didn't like was having to hold X to run - impractical for aiming which is right analog stick. Generally, nice demo of new game with archaic traits of previous titles of the franchise.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Franky wrote:The chainsaw dude gets you, and you don't fucking die

Yeah, first time the chainsaw guy got me, I readied(?) myself for the old RE4 decapitation sequence only to be "healed" by the partner..."You need to be more careful!" (Indeed, in 1976 the World Health Organization has stated that getting cut nearly in half by means of chainsaw could pose potential risks to your health if done repeatedly and without supervision) Also it looks like the "healing" mostly consist in giving you a solid pat on the back.

I wonder if they still have one-hit kills somewhere like in RE4 (although those could be somewhat frustrating. Maybe a hard mode)
I want to fry~~ Sky Hiiiiiiiiigh~
Let's go-o-o-O~ togeda~
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Re5 is actually butchered. I'll have to give the real thing a try when it is released though. However, I am willing to bet that a certain receit is going to lose a certain store 30 GBP (or however much it costs, bleh), for reason of me demanding a refund.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

adventure_of_link wrote: what, you mean to say they finally got a program a little too powerful for the PS3? :shock:
more like a lazy 360 port.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Snark wrote:
Franky wrote:The chainsaw dude gets you, and you don't fucking die

Yeah, first time the chainsaw guy got me, I readied(?) myself for the old RE4 decapitation sequence only to be "healed" by the partner..."You need to be more careful!" (Indeed, in 1976 the World Health Organization has stated that getting cut nearly in half by means of chainsaw could pose potential risks to your health if done repeatedly and without supervision) Also it looks like the "healing" mostly consist in giving you a solid pat on the back.

I wonder if they still have one-hit kills somewhere like in RE4 (although those could be somewhat frustrating. Maybe a hard mode)
that's lame, I want to see the first aid pack come out and have here stitch the other half of your neck back on, that would be hardcore.
funkyass wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote: what, you mean to say they finally got a program a little too powerful for the PS3? :shock:
more like a lazy 360 port.
so what is the 360 version like.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i could probably tell you in a few days.

i grabbed it on day one, but haven't played it yet.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Hmm, just played through the demo again. Got killed by the chainsaw dude.

Yes, chainsaws do kill, just not all the time. "Lag" also wasn't as prevailent; perhaps last time I was just particularly fussy. My mood is generally quite good today, so maybe that's why I'm about the say what I'm about to say; the re5 demo is actually very good (for a demo, that is).

...though, I've yet to be killed by the HUGE guy with the large axe (and he managed to get me several times).

As a side note not related to re5:
There is a game on PSN that I have found; Super Stardust HD.
Download demo, play demo, like demo, get full version. That's all I can say.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

People die when they are killed...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

grinvader wrote:People die when they are killed...
FUCK really!? you mean if somone kills me, then I'll DIE. FUCK!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Someone doesn't know his classics... Fix that now.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

hmm, I thought you were just being a smart ass, intersting, kinda along the lines of All your base are belong to us.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It actually makes sense in context, it's just REALLY poorly phrased.