Idea: bsnes logo contest

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
byuu

Idea: bsnes logo contest

Post by byuu »

I was looking at the about screen, it's pretty boring. A nice logo would jazz it up. Preferably with letters in smallcase.

Don't want to just ask people to make one and give me copyrights to it for nothing. So I was thinking about a contest or something fun.

Not sure what to give out, though. Maybe Ys PSP, or a $20 gift card. Could be fun.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Well a logo for bsnes (imo) should say bsnes on it when means

A) Open use font
B) Painted letters
C) Vector letters

As for the rest of the design is a debate about colors (could do the standard blue green yellow red)

And if there should be a basic shape to the design is also important (should it be freeform, or should a square/round logo be designed)

Curious to see what happens
byuu

Post by byuu »

I don't want (m)any restrictions. It's quite possible someone will come up with something even better if we let them go wild.
gllt

Post by gllt »

Thats art!

But instead of restrictions, do you have any subtle suggestions, perhaps something you'd like to avoid maybe like.. poo brown?
Next Gen Cowboy

Post by Next Gen Cowboy »

I reserve the rights to the BullShiNES logo =p

I know restrictions are not the in thing but some guidelines could be helpful (deviation from guidelines could be just as acceptable if you so desire)

I for one am drawing a blank. I like nice neat little things, symmetrical non-freeform or sprawling.
gllt

Post by gllt »

Well, its a concept.

edit; just thinking.

byuu

Post by byuu »

Guidelines ... geez. I don't even know what I want :P

As I said, I prefer lowercase. I'd also prefer SVG just for the sake of being able to resize it however I want. But neither are required ... I do want something very clean and professional, if that helps any. Prefer something in the 3:1 to 4:1 aspect size, good for a banner.

As for my idea ... maybe a really fancy version of this?

I like the idea of taking advantage of seamless connected letters, but the name doesn't really allow for it much.

EDIT: yeah, yours is neat too, gllt :)
Last edited by byuu on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
gllt

Post by gllt »

I was gonna trace out my lineart in vector when it's finished anyway, I'm just playing around with ideas, but I like yours.

edit;

Just thought I'd throw this black and white one out there
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

I like the clef / Klein bottle (thank you wikipedia) gllt threw in there, although I don't see the relation :) Alternatively, something with β? (as in the greek letter beta)

( while I'm at it, bsnes in greek: βσνηϛ )

Edit: some corrections.
Last edited by Verdauga Greeneyes on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gllt

Post by gllt »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:I like the clef / Klein bottle (thank you wikipedia) gllt threw in there, although I don't see the relation :) Alternatively, something with ß? (as in the greek letter beta)

Edit: some corrections.
Woah awesome I just made it up lol

simple.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:( while I'm at it, bsnes in greek: βσνηϛ )
The downside is that (almost) nobody can read that :P

If we cheat a little, we can come up with this:
gllt

Post by gllt »

FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Would be a lot easier if you had chosen a name like DragonSNES or MagicSNES. What the heck can you do with "b"? Draw a beehive?
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

How about a very utilitarian logo, to match the utilitarian nature of the emulator? Courier comes to mind, or perhaps an uppercase font that looks like the lettering used on blueprints. Hmmm, or that font used on circuit boards to label components. Heh, it could even have some circuit-board-like elements around the name, like PPU1 PPU2.
gllt

Post by gllt »

FitzRoy wrote:Would be a lot easier if you had chosen a name like DragonSNES or MagicSNES. What the heck can you do with "b"? Draw a beehive?
Sorry for posting every other post but

My mother suggested a caveman since bsnes is supposed to be as accurate as the snes to the point of helping you understand that ancient hardware
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Best logo so far.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

/bandwagon

letters are just freehand scribbles, they could be all clean and stuff.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
gllt

Post by gllt »

You have great skillz, blackmyst.

Though, is the use of the non-directly-named but possibly-copyrighted character alright? :V
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

it's way too ambiguous to be a problem. It could be any character really.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

ByuuSNES? I'm kidding. :D
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
gllt

Post by gllt »

wait indeed, byuu do you have a 'representation' on the internet? :V
byuu

Post by byuu »

Would be a lot easier if you had chosen a name like DragonSNES or MagicSNES.
SlowNESs, (S's can be slugs / snails), Super Nescience, HitlerSNES.

I so call reservation on Super Nescience for the fast version of bsnes :P
How about a very utilitarian logo, to match the utilitarian nature of the emulator?
This could match well with my previous white-on-green logo above. Keep the letters simple, but give them a circuitry feel. Though I'd prefer a blueish tint for that.
letters are just freehand scribbles, they could be all clean and stuff.
o.O
And blackmyst takes the lead! Wow, that's seriously awesome. I really like the idea of mixing in a silent protagonist like that. Makes the logo far more epic than just letters.

Hmm, I suppose I could commission one of the better DeviantART people to make something that looks amazing yet doesn't infringe any copyrights, heh.
wait indeed, byuu do you have a 'representation' on the internet? :V
Not really. The name is Japanese for 'to make a mistake', but of course it's also used by the protagonist from Bahamut Lagoon. Sadly, Square released virtually no art for him -- just two or three mouthless, noseless pictures ala FF4 boxart.

Though if someone can use a lot of imagination and incorporate the cross knight (two swords) aspect of him, that'd be cool.
Next Gen Cowboy

Post by Next Gen Cowboy »

http://fantasyanime.com/squaresoft/bahamut_art.htm

Sorry I meant to give everyone a nice official picture, but my laziness and stupidity caught up with me.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

damn it's been forever since I went to fantasyanime. Memories.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Please don't feed the ego of DAers any more than you have to. <.<