Snes controller progress:

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Btw. here's a picture of the Ascii Pad - might help a bit with the height of the buttons etc.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

creaothceann wrote:Btw. here's a picture of the Ascii Pad - might help a bit with the height of the buttons etc.
have to be a little careful here - the asciiPad isn't quite the same size (nor obviously shape) of the official controller. there might be similar differences in button height (i'd need to dig out my pads to check once i got home from work).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Another big update, and my apologies for the large image size, but I wanted to show the bump-mapping work on the plastic.

I've made a bunch of fixes:

1. Nailed the font down to exactly matching the real thing (hand-rendered).
2. Adjusted the crosspad and middle button plastic to be flat instead of glossy.
3. Lots of plastic bump-mapping work.
4. Reshaped the shoulder buttons.
5. Added a backside case (out of view but will be useful for angle shots)

I've still got plenty of things I still want to improve. Right now I need tips on the hue and lightness I need to be using for the crosspad and buttons. The current version I'm sure is probably not accurate.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

looks great, I know you're still working just thought I'd point out the only 2 minor things I see.

1. D-pad looks like it could be floating over the controller, maybe just adjusting lighting/the black shadow around it.

2. start/select still don't look rubber, they probably just need a slight color adjust/shading/lighting.

I'm sure you already knew that.

looking good.
Last edited by Panzer88 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

FirebrandX wrote:I've still got plenty of things I still want to improve. Right now I need tips on the hue and lightness I need to be using for the crosspad and buttons. The current version I'm sure is probably not accurate.
From my own european pad, the little sphere-ish groove in the middle of the dpad doesn't have the same surface roughness as the cross itself (the patterns are much tighter inside) and has a much lower reflective property, PLUS the triangles themselves are -completely- smooth (as in, flat) and their reflective property is roughly halfway between the cross and the groove.

L and R are pretty much spot on.

'START' and 'SELECT' aren't exactly using that font, but it's probably too demanding. The buttons aren't as "dark" as currently, they are smoother (surface is almost flat) and their rubbery nature makes them pretty dull. Convexity seems accurate.
X, A, B and Y are actually shinier than that.

If we accept the shadows cast by X Y B A as correct, the dpad's and start/select's aren't good. Start and select are 'taller' and cast a longer shadow. The dpad's height from the pad surface increases from the middle to the outer edge (and then recedes with a radius of about 1mm). Such a shape doesn't cast the current shadow under any lighting.

Nice effort, btw.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Thanks for the tips, Grin! I need to point out the select and start buttons are actually sticking out even higher than the XYBA buttons, but dont seem to cast as much of a shadow. I'll be working on getting this more accurate as I go along. I knew the crosspad actually concaves a bit toward the center, and that's another step I will be working on as well. I'll make sure to remove the bump mapping on the arrow slots too.

I'm considering seeing if I can obtain a euro-snes controller so I can study it closer myself.
NES NTSC palette file:

grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I'm gonna grab some shots of it next time my grubby little paws can gather a digital camera and one of my pads together for some wild action.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

SEXY!
NES NTSC palette file:

byuu

Post by byuu »

Just a few words:

1) I love what you have so far and will be happy to use it + give full credit. I do need unrevokable permission to use it as I need of course, please :/
Don't mind compensating you for all your hard work, of course.
2) Don't worry about getting it 100% perfect. As you said, you'll never please everyone. I'm happy to use it as-is, but if you want to improve it further that's also cool.
3) You're awesome. Seriously.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

byuu, of course you can use it for whatever means you like. If you don't mind, you should wait until I render it using a soft white backdrop first. I will switch from scanline rendering to "mental ray" which allows for more realistic lighting that actually bounces off the nooks & crannies.

I will be continuing to work on the model itself, and there are still plenty of things I can get more accurate like the crosspad. Eventually I hope to render the entire controller from all sides plus input socket.
NES NTSC palette file:

kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

I agree with everything Panzer88 and grinvader said. There's still a lot of stuff that needs tweaking/improvement.

The START/SELECT font looks really odd. You could up the bump map intensity a bit and make the grain finer. Finally,add some 'shimmering' to the dark gray bezel surrounding the color buttons.

The SUPER NINTENDO font is spot-on.Great work!
Last edited by kick on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Also,the plastic area surrounding the START/SELECT buttons has a rounded / curved appearance The cut is convex,not concave.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

So, even though you're using 64bit, this model will work in 32bit 3DS Max right?

Cause I'd love to play with it ;__;
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

updated the image again with just a couple minor changes based on Grins tips. I've removed the bumpmapping from the arrow pits and the middle buttons. I also toned down the gloss on the middle buttons, though I can tone it down even further if needed.

Have no fear about the start & select font. Its just a place holder as I'm currently redoing them in similar fassion to the super nintendo font. We'll soon have NOTHING to bitch about as far as the font goes. ;)
NES NTSC palette file:

kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

The triangle arrows on the D-PAD should be larger (wider),with rounded corners.
Also less shine for START/SELECT buttons and make them a bit lighter.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Updated the image. Now ALL the face fonts have been redone to exactly match the real controller.
NES NTSC palette file:

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

That's a beautiful render. Almost looks real now that you've got the texturing on.

Suppose doing US and J pads too is out of the question? :D
(J should be easy, since you just swap the SNES logo for a Super FamiCom logo. US has different buttons, though.)
creaothceann wrote:Btw. here's a picture of the Ascii Pad - might help a bit with the height of the buttons etc.
Mmmm.... I miss my Asciipad.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

I'm in agreement with byuu in that the US controller sucks ass. I like to pretend the Euro controller is the official SNES one ;)

Anyway, I'm hoping Grin can set me up with some snapshots of his pad. I'm running out of info I can gleam from the limited angles we get from net pics. Ideally, I'd like the controller taken apart and photos taken of the cross pad part by itself from both a top and side profile. Same thing with the case halves, both separated and still screwed together.

Grrr, I'm going to fricken buy a snes again the more OCD I'm getting!
NES NTSC palette file:

diminish

Post by diminish »

Awesomeness.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

that's utterly fantastic.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

The D-pad and start/select buttons are a bit lighter on my controllers, though it could be just my monitor.

Anyway, yeah, sweetastic.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

No,it's not your monitor.They are indeed lighter :)
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

I spent an hour combing through every national and worldwide ebay auction for SNES controllers. Of those, over 800 were for the crappy USA version and only about 10 were for the European version. Of those ten, I picked out the best condition and did a buyout for 10 GBP. It ended up costing me a little over $20 US bucks with shipping added, but considering how HARD it is to find one, I'm quite fine paying that much.

I had at some point considered buying the Japanese club wii Super Famicom controller, but the cheapest ones are about $65. I chose not to since The whole point was to get an actual vintage controller with the proper English logos on it. While the Japanese controller may use the exact same mold, they may use entirely different plastics by now, and it also wouldn't have the English logo on it.

Anyway, It may take a week or so for the controller to arrive, but I will pick right back up on the model work when it gets here. For the time being, I'll work on that mental ray render setting I keep putting off.
NES NTSC palette file:

Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

keep in mind guys that the dpad and start/select fade over time, he is doing a "brand new" controller, they are a bit lighter but we just have to be careful what we go off of.

edit:

looks like he already fixed it anywho :)