bsnes on ppc/ppc64?

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
belegdol
Hazed

bsnes on ppc/ppc64?

Post by belegdol »

Hi,

I am currently building the RPM fusion package for i386 and x86_64 only, since that's all libco seems to support. But, according to the thread about longsoon support, it was possible to build bsnes on MIPS. My question is, would it be possible to make it just work on ppc/ppc64? Does the SJLJ libco is the one that comes with bsnes, or is a port of some sort? Cheers!
byuu

Post by byuu »

SJLJ should work on pretty much any Unix, but of course it should be tested to verify.

Vas Crabb also wrote PPC32 and PPC64 ports of libco in GNU as. If you check the readme, it has compilation instructions. Richard Bannister uses these ASM version on OS X successfully, but it's possible that Linux/PPC uses a different ABI.
belegdol
Hazed

Post by belegdol »

OK, I'll try to give it a go then.
belegdol
Hazed

Post by belegdol »

Without using the assembly, bsnes did build correctly on ppc/ppc64. When it comes to using the said assembly, I found this:
as -arch ppc -force_cpusubtype_ALL libco.ppc.s
How to integrate it into the build process?
byuu

Post by byuu »

You'd have to change a lot of stuff to add that to the current build process. Richard creates his own Makefile using his IDE of choice.

My goal was to have all of libco build just by compiling the libco.c file, with no need to manually specify libco targets. I hope to get the ppc / ppc64 GNU as files ported so that they are inside .c files using inline assembly in the future.

Microsoft is also screwing me on Win64 / Visual C++, their compiler doesn't support inline 64-bit ASM, so I have to fall back on cothreads there to make this "pure C library" idea work.
belegdol
Hazed

Post by belegdol »

I see. Since I have no skills to do that, I'll patiently wait for your implementation, building with sjlj in the meantime.

ETA: I got some test results for ppc (not mine though, but fellow user's):
Seems to work ok, but my ibook is too slow to tell if the audio is working or not. Game and graphics seem fine.