Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.
Moderator: ZSNES Mods
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 344
- Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 pm
- Location: Wouldn't you like to know? :p
Okay I have GRAND NEWS everyone, but here's the catch. Netplay is being currently allowed for up to 3 players on zsnes 1.36 from a brilliant hacker named *Myself* on the snesot website. The code he's working on is still being tested to sync with 4 to 5 players, but up to 3 players can play now on his zsnes tested himself. The catch is that there is no zsnes yet available for this option and that it is still currently in the works. But it has been tested and able to play 3 players on his server. ZSNES is very not dead. And that he is doing this all on his own time, but fear not. You can read more by going to the http://www.snesot.com website and reading more from there. I just thought I'd link this because this will change the revolution in which you've been netplaying! Kudos everyone!
Proper link: http://snesot.com/?task=forum#/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=660
Myself wrote:Number of spectators is only limited to the host's upload speed. I recommend 8Kbps per user connected. However, getting close to your upload limit increases latency by a bit. Actual upload required is lower than 8Kbps but I don't want to go into details.Lightfoot wrote:Fantastic! If all the connections are great, is there a limit to the number of spectators?
By the way, I just released this new server: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/194 ... Server.rar
Any future update will use the same link.
I don't recommend running this application on a single core processor because it could increase latency.
What you can do so far:
- Play as p1-p3 (p4-p5 are supported but zsnes desyncs automatically).
- Connect as many spectators as you want without causing lag to the players. Assuming you respect upload speed limit on the host computer.
- Start the game without anyone else joining. Good for testing without asking others.
- Invite other users without restarting zsnes. For example, you can play a match with one opponent then invite your next opponent and reload the game without having to restart zsnes.
- Option to have 2 different chat rooms while playing. One for players, one for spectators. Use /OPENCHAT and /CLOSECHAT.
- Spectators cannot pause the game by pressing Escape. Any spectator pressing Escape gets kicked out.
- Pressing Alt+F4 doesn't freeze other users.
- Can choose different versions of zsnes. Default to 1.42 and tested with 1.36 so far. Some versions may not work.
- See the player's number in chat. If you select p1 and say hi in chat, other users will see "1<NAME>HI" instead of "NAME>HI".
- Cannot use save files (yet).
- Cannot use save states.
- If one user doesn't have the file, server gets stuck at requesting this file.
- No UDP support.