Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Anything else related to bsnes goes there.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

gllt wrote:WALLS OF TEXT, EVERYWHERE

I'M SURROUNDED
what if those walls of text were to enclose on you

WHAT THEN
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

GET US OUT OF HERE ARE TOO DEE TOO
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

byuu wrote:
grinvader wrote:Some guy dies because he's a delusional philanthropist, what does it have to do with homosexuals ?
He died, so that you could be straight.
Both of these jokes are lame and retarded.

Just FYI.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:
grinvader wrote:Some guy dies because he's a delusional philanthropist, what does it have to do with homosexuals ?
He died, so that you could be straight.
Methinks I'm gonna kill him again so that I can do wtf I want.
Metatron wrote:Both of these jokes are lame and retarded.
Yeah, I love you too.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

Just FYI.
So, what's a good Jesus joke in your opinion?
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a good one.
diminish

Post by diminish »

byuu wrote:

Just FYI.
So, what's a good Jesus joke in your opinion?
(picture unrelated)
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

...That picture made me hungry
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I'm about to sound way too serious for this thread now....

Lincoln is indeed iconified as being something greater than he was. He may have abolished slavery (in perhaps the least efficient way), but he was no champion of equity as he did not favor a desegregated society or giving blacks voting rights and political entry.

Civil War is a misnomer, the South never wanted control of the North, they wanted independence from it. But history is written by the winners. Underneath it all was a dispute over protectionist tariffs favoring the North and slavery may have been a more effective pretext for preserving the union. Lincoln didn't let the constitution get in his way, he censored and jailed dissenters, issued fiat currency, probably some other shit I'm forgetting. I don't know if war could have been avoided by simply buying the slaves. I also don't how history would have played out had he allowed states their constitutional right to secede. Slavery certainly would not have lasted very long even with secession. It had been peacefully abolished by major countries at that point and trade relationships would have been hard for the South to maintain. Mechanization also made many slave jobs obsolete.

I generally blame the whole sorry episode on our (somewhat hypocritical) forefathers failing to address the matter in their time when writing the constitution. Being able to draft an entire body of supreme law is an amazing opportunity, they could have done better.

Besides causing all that death and bitterness, it also gave a sort of perverse justification for increased federal power over the states. Secession can be done for good reasons, though. For example, let's say the federal government today forced a bunch of small states with balanced budgets to subsidize the failure that is California. Those states would be within their right to threaten secession. In fact, I support any state with the balls to do it today, the federal government is completely out of control.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There's too much serious business in this thread.

I'm not sure exactly what motivations Lincoln had with abolishing slavery, but it makes one wonder at the point that things could possibly get out of hand (and much more bloody than it was then) if it didn't happen earlier.

I'd say it's better to preach tolerance... and above all.. people are people. In unity, you can accomplish more, but you don't have to get along with everyone.. people are jackasses too.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

"people are jackasses too."

Even God for giving us the free will? :twisted:
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Everyone is a slave unless they chose not to be ignorant.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

badinsults wrote:Everyone is a slave unless they chose not to be ignorant.
you tell em
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

gllt wrote:
badinsults wrote:Everyone is a slave unless they chose not to be ignorant.
you tell em
That said, there's a reason they say ignorance is bliss.

Mostly because they're right. The weight of feeling oppressed or so on is usually not worth the overall knowledge that you are oppressed.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

FirebrandX wrote:The liberals would fail first, because everybody would be on wellfair with nobody working to pay for it. Then they'd attempt to become a fully communistic state, causing people to flee for the border into the conservative countries, only we wouldn't take them because they'd just try the same crap all over again.
Huh?

Seriously, huh?
byuu

Post by byuu »

Metatron wrote:That said, there's a reason they say ignorance is bliss.
Very true. The more I read the news, the more depressed I get. And not just about oppression:
http://www.wmur.com/news/18813192/detail.html
A manager pulled a pin for the restaurant's fire suppression system, which rained chemicals on her and others, because she was told to by a man on the phone claiming to be her boss from the corporate office.

"And then they were told by this person on the phone to go outside and disrobe and actually urinate on one another to decontaminate each other," said Lt. Peter Bartlett.

Police said that somehow, the prankster managed to keep the employees on the phone for 10 to 15 minutes. Only when someone in the parking lot called police to say a woman was standing in the doorway naked did police and fire show up, and that's when the prankster finally hung up.
Sigh. May as well go pick up some Brawndo.
I.S.T. wrote:Huh? Seriously, huh?
He's a conservative, obviously :P
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

byuu wrote:
Very true. The more I read the news, the more depressed I get. And not just about oppression:
A manager pulled a pin for the restaurant's fire suppression system, which rained chemicals on her and others, because she was told to by a man on the phone claiming to be her boss from the corporate office.

"And then they were told by this person on the phone to go outside and disrobe and actually urinate on one another to decontaminate each other," said Lt. Peter Bartlett.

Police said that somehow, the prankster managed to keep the employees on the phone for 10 to 15 minutes. Only when someone in the parking lot called police to say a woman was standing in the doorway naked did police and fire show up, and that's when the prankster finally hung up.
Sigh. May as well go pick up some Brawndo.
I.S.T. wrote:Huh? Seriously, huh?
He's a conservative, obviously :P
So am I and I;m confused as to what logic is in his post.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Free Republic liberalism = communism.

FWIW, with the current state of things, I'd consider myself fiscally conservative. And neither the Republicans nor Democrats have been fiscally conservative since I started paying attention circa ~1992.

Anyway, sorry if I've assumed too much. Should wait to see what FirebrandX says.
Last edited by byuu on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

byuu wrote:
Free Republic liberalism = communism.

FWIW, with the current state of things, I'd consider myself fiscally conservative. And neither the Republicans nor Democrats have been fiscally conservative since I started paying attention circa ~1992.
Fiscal conservatism is sadly dead. It's just not feasible in a world where everything is so interconnected.

Which is really too bad. I'd love for it to make a return.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Oh, it's feasible.

The problem is that it doesn't serve the interests of the financial sector.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

byuu wrote:

Dot dot dot.

How can people be so DUMB?

"Employees at the KFC didn't want to talk to reporters about what happened."

I wouldn't either.