Custom resolutions possible in the future?

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
denzilla
Hazed

Custom resolutions possible in the future?

Post by denzilla »

Forgive me if this can already be done, but I didn't see it available in the .40 options. Would it be possible to add user definable resolution settings in a future release of BSNES? My LCD has a native res of 1280x1024 and BSNES looks pretty muddy as it is now. Also, I think there is a vsync conflict with Vista and BSNES using D3D in windowed mode as the scrolling jerks pretty regularly using those settings. Switching to DDraw fixes the issue. Note the D3D is smooth as butter in fullscreen though. Running Vista x64 SP1 with ATi 3450 PCI-E.

TIA :)
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Not having any issues with video sync myself on Vista64. Make sure emulation speed is synced to BOTH video and audio. It's not clear, but there are two distinct checkables, it isn't a handoff.

I think your video is "muddy" because DirectDraw is only capable of bilinear filtration. Setting point in this mode has no effect. So here's a documented case of why it should be absent or grayed out in this mode. Instead, you thought point was functional and inferred that the monitor was performing some kind of non-integer scaling which required custom resolutions to resolve. Amiright?

edit: Make sure your drivers are up to date as well.
Last edited by FitzRoy on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Set your bsnes to D3D, 4xscale, fullscreen, & point filtering. Try to always use fullscreen for playing bsnes or most any emulator for that matter. Window mode can have vsync problems for some emulators, and I've heard of vista users having vsync issues in window mode before. I'm on Vista 64 Ultimate, but I've not had any issues.

I do agree there should at least be some separate integer scaling in bsnes, like 5x width by 4x height as an example. Beyond that, you want to avoid custom software resolutions as this will warp random pixels.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
byuu

Post by byuu »

The thing about bsnes is that it doesn't really have fullscreen support. It just hides the window decoration and resizes the window to cover your screen.

So your resolution will stay at the native rate, and the Direct3D driver will use the same method to sync video. Downside is that vsync requires more power, but the upside is reduced joypad input to video output lag.

Lastly, DirectDraw on Vista and above uses point filtering for scaling. They switched it for some reason.

FWIW, it all works fine for me with Win 7 x64.
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

Thanks for everyone's input. Sync Video seems to have helped but I hadn't been experiencing tearing before, just that the scrolling would jerk every so many seconds. FWIW Ootake had the same issue when it went to 2.00. I reported it and he fixed it in the next version so I'm not sure what the problem was. Vista Vsyncs the desktop when Aero is enabled, so I think the conflict is there. Updating ATi drivers has made no difference in my experience unless you're playing PC games.
byuu

Post by byuu »

denzilla wrote:Vista Vsyncs the desktop when Aero is enabled, so I think the conflict is there. Updating ATi drivers has made no difference in my experience unless you're playing PC games.
I have heard of some DWM stuff that relates to Vista. But then, I have Windows 7 with Aero enabled and don't have problems with video tearing. So I guess wait for Win 7? :/
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

denzilla wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. Sync Video seems to have helped but I hadn't been experiencing tearing before, just that the scrolling would jerk every so many seconds. FWIW Ootake had the same issue when it went to 2.00. I reported it and he fixed it in the next version so I'm not sure what the problem was. Vista Vsyncs the desktop when Aero is enabled, so I think the conflict is there. Updating ATi drivers has made no difference in my experience unless you're playing PC games.
what's your display refresh rate set to? it's probably not 60Hz...
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

odditude wrote:
denzilla wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. Sync Video seems to have helped but I hadn't been experiencing tearing before, just that the scrolling would jerk every so many seconds. FWIW Ootake had the same issue when it went to 2.00. I reported it and he fixed it in the next version so I'm not sure what the problem was. Vista Vsyncs the desktop when Aero is enabled, so I think the conflict is there. Updating ATi drivers has made no difference in my experience unless you're playing PC games.
what's your display refresh rate set to? it's probably not 60Hz...
Its definitely set to 60Hz but I know what you're talking about though. I've seen similar results playing 60Hz games in MAME when the monitor is set to anything above 60Hz.
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

denzilla wrote:Its definitely set to 60Hz but I know what you're talking about though. I've seen similar results playing 60Hz games in MAME when the monitor is set to anything above 60Hz.
It's worth checking in the control panel if you have an nvidia card; mine was set to 59Hz by default :shock:
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

denzilla wrote: Sync Video seems to have helped but I hadn't been experiencing tearing before, just that the scrolling would jerk every so many seconds.

This sounds like you need to adjust the sample input rate. On my system in order to prevent jumps, I had to lower the input rate from 32000 to 31870 while the latency is set to 80ms. After lowering the input rate, I no longer get jumps and everything scrolls liquid smooth. Naturally this value will be different from system to system and you'll need to experiment. As fitz said though, both video and audio sync need to be checked for this to actively work.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Someone should write a test programs to time people's refresh rate and the actual sample rate for their soundcard at different settings. I tried the latter once but got too deeply entrenched in reinventing the wheel, so it didn't work out.