Neviksti's Star Ocean ENG ?

Dejap's website appears to be defunct. This forum is now in archive mode.

Moderator: Dejap Staff

Peter

Neviksti's Star Ocean ENG ?

Post by Peter »

Hey guys,

Im trying to find Nevtisti's ENG Star Ocean to play on my GD7, ive been googling for hours now, is there anyone that could point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

neviksti's profile
d4s wrote:I used to have the ROM, but in the mean time switched computers and don't seem to have it anymore.
if you can't contact neviksti, ask a guy called pkgingo, he should have it too.
otherwise maybe cowering.
I didn't find it on the net any more.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Neviksti didn't have the eng version at all, iirc.

Just the non-sdd1 version.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Peter

Post by Peter »

well i send him a pm, will try to find this pkgingo and cowering now.

[EDIT]

well i cant seem to find pkgingo nor cowerling on the members list, so anyone know how to contact them?

[/EDIT]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Peter wrote:well i cant seem to find pkgingo nor cowerling on the members list, so anyone know how to contact them?
pkgingo is also known as LobStar, see Google.
Peter wrote:cowerling
...and make sure you spell the search words correctly.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
neviksti
Lurker

Post by neviksti »

I got your message.
For others interested, here you go:
Sure, here's some links:

StarOcean hacked to remove all need for SDD1 chip
http://www.neviksti.com/StarOcean/SF96son.rar

As above, but with DeJap's english patch added on
http://www.neviksti.com/StarOcean/SF96soe.rar

I haven't messed with this in years. Hopefully it works first try for you, because I don't really remember enough to debug it anymore. It should already be in the format you need, and some people have told me they were able to play through the entire game, so it should be fine.

Enjoy,
-neviksti
I also figured out the "saver code" to let you use the RTS system on the copier with StarOcean. I doubt you'll need it, but I can try to dig it up from my files if you do.

Have fun.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Lo and behold.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Peter

Post by Peter »

yeah he already pmed me also, thanks everyone for your help!
Peter

Post by Peter »

do you need some special flag for ucon64 to make this work? i used

ucon64 -gd3 -chk name.file -o Convert

then

ucon64 -s Convert -o Split

i got the 12 split files, put them on floppies, loaded them all into my GD7 but when i start it i just get a black screen.

My SNES has his lockout chip disabled, is this game protected for that in any way or do i need to use other commands?

Thanks
neviksti
Lurker

Post by neviksti »

The file is already in GD3 format (after decompressing from the RAR file of course). Split it into floppies if you wish, but don't ask progams to convert it or do any involved manipulations as they probably don't know how to handle the cartridge map that I used.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks, ill give that a try then!
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i'd recommend someone submit it to rhdn
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I don't think it'd be allowed, considering it's a ROM.

Perhaps a patch to make a Star Ocean rom into an English Neviksti's Star Ocean would be allowed.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

ah

didn't read closely enough
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
neviksti
Lurker

Post by neviksti »

sweener2001 wrote:i'd recommend someone submit it to rhdn
Because of the very specific format it needs to be in, I just left it as a rom. If you make it into a patch, you'll essentially just get the entire rom in a "patch format" ... which seems like a somewhat silly exercise.

However, if that makes it appear "clean" to other people, then by all means please choose a format and submit a "patch". That would be great to see it listed on rhdn! I don't know enough about rhdn to know what they would consider acceptable in this case.

I get emails about the star ocean hack every month or so. So it really would be better to have it stored with all the other rom hacks.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Talk to Nightcrawler about it, that would get you your answer.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Yeah, there's a bit of red tape here. I understand why it's distributed as a ROM and why making it into a patch doesn't give much better results copyrighted content wise.

I know you're too far removed now, but it would have been ideal if you had created a utility to build a decompressed ROM for someone whether it be from the old graphics packs (which I think you used as your source?) or the new SDD-1 decompression code. That puts it entirely on the up and up.

Since that didn't happen, the best we could maybe do is host a patch that turns the normal ROM into the decompressed one (even though the graphics would be in it). We'd likely not accept one including DeJap's translation either. But it seems like you can manually apply that patch on top anyway?

Really, this is something staff would certainly discuss and come to an agreement on if submitted. It's really a unique case.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
neviksti
Lurker

Post by neviksti »

Peter,
Did you get it to work alright eventually?
Many people that write to me and still have problems, eventually track it down to a failing RAM segment in their copier. So another test is to try running the file on a SNES emulator that supports GD3 file format (as far as I know, the only one that does is SuperSleuth). The SuperSleuth site seems to be down at the moment, but you can find the file elsewhere. I'm away from home on a computer I can't install software on at the moment, so I can't double check the file for you right now.

Nightcrawler wrote:I know you're too far removed now, but it would have been ideal if you had created a utility to build a decompressed ROM for someone whether it be from the old graphics packs (which I think you used as your source?) or the new SDD-1 decompression code. That puts it entirely on the up and up.
Well, even if I used the SDD-1 decompression code, I'd still have to use the index file from the graphics pack. Unlike the layout of SPC7110 data, the SDD-1 graphics are dispersed all over the place. I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out a way to locate all the graphics data ... alas, I am not really a rom-hacker and despite tracking down all the code that did decompressions, I failed at tracking down all the data that was being decompressed.

What you suggest is an interesting idea, but returning to StarOcean stuff is low on my priorities at the moment. I keep getting requests for a 64Mbit version for other copiers and flash carts. Maybe one day I'll finally sit down and spend a day or so cleaning up everything and determine the feasibility of a 64Mbit version. In truth though, I probably won't ever get around to it.