bsnes 0.041 Ubuntu packages

Anything else related to bsnes goes there.
arbaal

bsnes 0.041 Ubuntu packages

Post by arbaal »

Hi,

I have taken the freedom to package bsnes 0.041 for Ubuntu and publish it under my Launchpad PPA.

I will try to merge it into the multiverse repository, but that can take some time, since Jaunty (Ubuntu 9.04) is in freeze right now.

To test/use this package, you have to install the current beta of Jaunty and need to add the PPA to you sources.list. Don't forget to add the GPG key from the PPA repository. x86, AMD64 and lpia builds are available. I haven't tested in on other Ubuntu or Debian releases, so for now it's only supported by me for Ubuntu 'Jaunty' 9.04.

The repository:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/hasenbanck/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/hasenbanck/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

The reason nobody's set up a PPA for bsnes yet is not that nobody's thought of it, but because it contravenes the PPA Terms of Use; specifically, bsnes's licence is not on their list of pre-approved licences. The Terms of use says "If you want to upload source under a license not covered by the list above, bring it up on the Launchpad users mailing list for consideration before uploading it" but as far as I can tell, that hasn't been done.

I suspect bsnes' licence would not be approved because it includes a 'no commercial use' clause, which Canonical might believe prevents them (a commercial company) from distributing it.

The Terms of Use say "You will use your best efforts to ensure that you abide by these Terms of Use. In the event that you fail to make such efforts and Canonical or its affiliates suffers loss, you shall be liable to reimburse Canonical for that loss in its entirety". I suspect the likelihood of byuu suing Canonical for transgressing his licence is slim, so you probably don't have much to worry about from a practical perspective.
arbaal

Post by arbaal »

Thanks, that slipped my attention. I will for now stop trying to get it into multiverse, but I won't delete it yet. If byuu doesn't approve it, I will delete the packages again. I could also just provide the debian folder as public domain, if it could get into upstream.
byuu

Post by byuu »

That's cool, I really appreciate the port, arbaal.

For what it's worth, by non-commercial I mean no selling. Eg I don't want my software on a $49 RedHat CD at Best Buy, unless RedHat wants to cut me in on the profits. I don't mind if a commercial company hosts it for free download eg via apt-get.

So you absolutely have my full permission or whatever for this; just check with me before making any radical changes to the source code, please.
arbaal

Post by arbaal »

Right now my only "patch" is the Makefile change. I could even remove that, if the Makefile would have an option to define a prefix.

For now I will then keep the PPA in sync with you releases then.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Makefile's fine, unless the change downloads a patch that rewrites 20+% of the program, heh.

Just don't mess with the libco flags, please. 90% of porters try and take out -fomit-frame-pointer and use $(CFLAGS) and they wonder why it segfaults.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:unless RedHat wants to cut me in on the profits.
Hahhahahahaha

good one matey
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

grinvader wrote:Hahhahahahaha

good one matey
I know it won't happen, hence why I don't use the GPL. It's a license to allow large companies to sell your work. Good luck getting your software onto store shelves to compete, if you're a hobbyist programmer with a five-figure income.
arbaal

Post by arbaal »

Updated to 0.042