bsnes v0.042 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

byuu wrote:

Code: Select all

//TODO: test this during last_cycle() instead
    if(mmio.sa1_irq == 1 && mmio.irqcl == 0) {
      if(!regs.p.i) interrupt(mmio.civ);
    }

if(mmio.sa1_nmi == 1 && mmio.nmicl == 0) {
      if(!regs.p.i) interrupt(mmio.cnv);
    }

(this->*opcode_table[op_readpc()])();
Wait a minute. Checking the interrupt disable flag for NMI?
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Killa B wrote:
Wow, how does one even go about obtaining so much ninja contraband? :o
I remember about 15 years ago purchasing a razor-sharp ninja-to from an online catalog. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to get a deadly sword.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
byuu

Post by byuu »

kode54 wrote:Wait a minute. Checking the interrupt disable flag for NMI?
I wasn't sure :P
Figured better safe than sorry. Documentation sucks on it, and it doesn't appear any of the games use it ...

Also ... what the hell man?

Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

byuu wrote:Also ... what the hell man?

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9289/wth.png
Wow, I never got that far in the game. I usually get bored and quit during the carnival level (which IIRC is the second one...)

I didn't realize that was an SA-1 game. That explains why it always runs so slow for me. :P
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Byuu, my apologies if you've already decided against it, but is there a chance you might add zipped rom support in bsnes? It kind of sucks having to unzip roms for bsnes, when every other platform supports zipped roms.
NES NTSC palette file:

byuu

Post by byuu »

... this has been supported for the past three and a half years now :/
Nach added GZ+ZIP+JMA support.

If you're asking about 7-zip, then no. I won't be adding that ever.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Rom websites like to solid archive similar roms in the same 7zip file which is annoying. Though it's easy to unpack them then use something like rom center and a no-intro dat to repack them in zip files.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Actually, what they're doing is using Edgeemu's roms. They did that years ago to simplify things/make most rom packages smaller. Except in games with a billion Good versions they wound up with smaller files.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Does JMA allow you to solid archive similar roms? It'd be interesting to have you be able to select which file to load up when loading the game in an emulator. The only time you'd have to unpack games would be to hard patch a rom. That and it would save their precious website bandwidth i guess.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

JMA is more oriented towards single files i believe. I don't think it's even possible to save more than one rom as a single JMA file.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

That's a bummer, It'd give me a reason to not keep unpacking stuff. Then at least get websites to store their stuff in a more sane format.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

JMA does support archiving multiple files, so packing similar ROM images together is not out of the question. However, you'll probably have to write your own tools to do the compressing, as I don't think NSRT supports that.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

kode54 wrote:JMA does support archiving multiple files, so packing similar ROM images together is not out of the question. However, you'll probably have to write your own tools to do the compressing, as I don't think NSRT supports that.
That is where my confusion came from.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

byuu wrote:... this has been supported for the past three and a half years now :/
Nach added GZ+ZIP+JMA support.

If you're asking about 7-zip, then no. I won't be adding that ever.
Why does bsnes sit on a blank screen whenever I try to load a zipped rom?

Edit: I found the problem. The WIPs do not support zip loading. The full release does however. That explains it. My apologies. (and yes I know there is mention of this on the web site, but I got cofused and thought I was running a full release).
NES NTSC palette file:

Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Beta testing doesn't have any zip support.

I can see someone reporting beta broken. :twisted:
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

That's one of the reasons why they are kept private.
byuu

Post by byuu »

New WIP. Wasted two and a half hours trying to figure out why re-implementing IRQs at home was failing in Parodius. Finally just reverted to wip05 and started again, changing one line at a time. Turns out I inverted the reset release flag by mistake for the SA-1 CPU. Fun.

Adds S-CPU -> SA-1 IRQs, DMA IRQs and NMIs + SA-1 -> S-CPU IRQs + CH1DMA IRQs. Also slightly improves variable bit-length reading and removes DPRIO mode for now until I can test it properly.

Parodius, SRW: Gaiden and Kirby: SS should all be fully playable now.

Mario RPG is damn close, but it freezes immediately after you exit the level up bonus screen. I don't have any idea what it wants. The graphics on the bonus screen don't show up either, as I don't support char conversion modes 1 or 2 yet (it uses mode 1.)

How annoying ... first the graphics on the logo are bad. Add the ALU, good. Now the title screen background is black. Fix the ALU MA register reset, good. Now it freezes after the first intro scene. Add SA-1 -> S-CPU IRQs. Now it freezes half-way through the intro. Fix S-CPU /IRQ line holding from the SA-1. Now it freezes at the start of the level up bonus screen. Add CHDMA IRQs. Now it freezes immediately after the level up bonus screen.

I have no idea what the hell SIV / SNV are for. I'm guessing the SA-1 controller detects which processor activates SA-1 IRQs and uses that vector address ...? It obviously can't over-ride the S-CPU's vector addresses.

Documentation is shit. It doesn't specify what vectors DMA / CHDMA use, or what to do without specific general DMA / CHDMA IRQ enable flags in the control registers, and on and on.
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

Think of it this way: when you are done, we will know. After all, that's your own goal.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Worth of note: when in doubt, apply voodoo

zsknight worked 4 cpus out like that

About JMA: Nach's lack of free time prevents him from polishing his standalone, family-sortable JMA tool, where family == all the variants of a game. Maximum compressability since the files are extremely similar.

It's still on the list, so... just wait, as usual. Or donate your organs to fund his early retirement.
And mine.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

grinvader wrote:Or donate your organs to fund his early retirement.
And mine.
That's even assuming the donor's organs are compatable with your body :P
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

They can be sold on the black market.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Man, I forgot how many games used the SA-1. It's more than the DSP-1, even.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Neat, SA-1. :P

Out of curiosity, have you looked into Super FX and Super FX2 to see if they're going to be as "simple" to add as SA-1 seems to be (e.g. games working for the most part with limited support)? I'm going to bet that they're not though, but hey at least we can play Kirby now. :lol:
byuu wrote:And SuperFX2 gives us something to look forward to in the future. If I support that, then what will people clamor for? Quick-move Shogi Match with Nidan Rank-holder Morita II? :(
Well... Super Gameboy, Twin Tap, ST011, ST018 and netplay, or whatever else. Personally? Cheat searcher/creator, debugger back, etc.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
byuu

Post by byuu »

SGB, X-Band and GG/PAR strike me as more peripherals than stand-alone games. Then you get into copiers and unlicensed hardware.

Controllers like Twin Tap are a different category. I'm willing to try REing the Twin Tap and/or Barcode Battler if someone gets me one, but the rest are pretty much not going to happen.
byuu

Post by byuu »

And so the bsnes release threads end here. A sad day indeed, but there's amazing news awaiting on the new forum :D

Hint: it involves more than six, but less than eight, stars.

http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5

For those who don't wish to register on yet another forum, I completely respect that and welcome you to continue posting to other topics on these two sub-forums, and I'll do my best to respond. But I'd like to keep my development updates on the new forum instead of duplicating the discussion in two places.