So, I want to build a website.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

So, I want to build a website.

Post by Joe Camacho »

Ok guys, so most of you, if you read what I post once in a while, know that I'm about to graduate from law school and I'm also working on my thesis to get my bachelor degree and professional cell.

Right, so I now made a new gmail account in order to give a professional email, my current email won't cut it, I think. I'm also looking to have some business cards printed, but a cousin who is a publicist recommend me to give my website address on my business card.

A website?

Yeah, the law firm I currently work now has a website, but it's really old and not updated, besides, I don't plan to stay there for a long time, I want to study a Masters degree, so I don't think it would be a good idea to place a website that is old and that I don't even appear on it.

So I think I could build a website for myself? Maybe with a curriculum, contact info and other stuff.

Can you still build websites for free? The last thing I knew about websites was using the program included in netscape or something like that to build them, I assume that's no good now, what should I do?

TLDR: I want to build a personal website, for free, where do I start?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

you can still use Geocities IIRC
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: So, I want to build a website.

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Joe Camacho wrote: Can you still build websites for free? The last thing I knew about websites was using the program included in netscape or something like that to build them, I assume that's no good now, what should I do?
Yeah. Composer hasn't been updated significantly since ye olde Netscape 4 days, if I recall correctly.

Though apparently that's finally starting to change.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=1092015
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

So, should I get a free geocities site and use that .tk domain thing to give it a nicer name (As in, not one with geocities on the web address)?
MajereDB8
Rookie

Post by MajereDB8 »

Joe Camacho wrote:Can you still build websites for free? The last thing I knew about websites was using the program included in netscape or something like that to build them, I assume that's no good now, what should I do?
Since you have GMail, there's a free service called Google Sites that's tied to your GMail account. The interface isn't that robust, but it's a lot better than the old stuff Geocities and Tripod used to do, and certainly enough for you do to something fairly professional looking. It's also nice since you won't have to sign up for a second account with somebody else.

One of the big problems with free web hosting is that your hosted site got covered with ads. I don't believe that Google's service has that problem, but you may want to try it out.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Joe Camacho wrote:So, should I get a free geocities site and use that .tk domain thing to give it a nicer name (As in, not one with geocities on the web address)?
I would suggest spending a few dollars and get a real host and real domain name (.com or .net). It makes things a bit more professional. Your website doesn't have to be complicated, maybe a few sentences about yourself, your CV, maybe some links to your interests, and of course your email address. Use it like a cover page, I would say.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
byuu

Post by byuu »

You should hire D to design / host it for you :P
He seems pretty good at it: http://derricksobodash.com/
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

MajereDB8: Interesting, and to be honest, I tried searching for google hosting and didn't find it, looks like I didn't look hard enough, I'll give it a try.

badinsults: While I agree that it would be better to get a real domain name and web address, my current balance is 0, and in the following months I won't really be able to even spend 10 dollars a month on a website, maybe later, when I have a stable income or a stable paycheck I would get paid hosting, I might open a bank account in the US which would make things easier for that.

But for the time being, I don't really mind having a .tk afther my address, while I do think it wouldn't look nice having "XXX.geocities.com"

I'm currently looking at google sites, it looks like there are no ads, I'll give it a try.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

Perhaps I may be two weeks late, but if you're serious, you should sign up for a (paid) shared-hosting solution, and if it becomes a requirement (and/or a desire) in the future then try dedicated hosting.

If you want a free hosting solution, however, byethost is the best I've come across so far: http://www.byethost.com
I'm hosting my site there (linked in my sig), and as far as I can tell, I get... 200GB monthly transfer (the catch is that you only get 5GB of storage, which is plenty though for most people).