ZSNES 2.0 Status

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Leave the name ZSNES?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes, it's well known.
62%
No, it no longer reflects what it can do.
38%

Total votes: 34

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

ZSNES 2.0 Status

Post by Nach »

We just finished up adding NES and DMG emulation (including Super Gameboy!) to our core set (I'll post some screenshots shortly).

Now that we do all this, should we continue to call the emulator ZSNES?

Please vote, and if you think we should no longer call it ZSNES, please suggest other names below.

I was thinking ZNintendo, but that's a good target for a lawsuit.

Also remember to thank Sinamas for his lovely DMG core in Gambatte, we just plopped it in our new framework and it's working great :D
Last edited by Nach on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by ardnew »

I vote ZFastAndFurious

Vin Diesel would too
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I think a name that actually reflects what the software can do is what we're aiming for here.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by odditude »

ztoaster. works on both 120v and 240v circuits.

now with moar butar.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
byuu

Post by byuu »

That's totally awesome!! I'd recommend ASNES v1. You know, since it's more accurate now with the cycle cores and all :D
Also works as Z+1SNES (if you count the alphabet wrapping around.)

Gotta keep the SNES part -- it's your claim-to-fame.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

tongue-in-cheek suggestions:

nsre - nach's snes rom emulator
prinSNES - for the pal50 among the devs

more realistic:
nintoaster: for the boardies - the logo could even use the iconic red oval

or just re-backronym ZSNES - ZSNES-sired Nintendo Emulator Set or somesuch
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Thalon
Rookie

Re: ZSNES 2.0 Status

Post by Thalon »

I think that the name should be left unchanged: it's well known as you suggested, and the emulator itself it'also something "historic" among the scene.
There's also a personal thing behind my obvious personal choice in the poll: I think that a name change would somehow "erase" Zsnes' history 'till today (don't be offended, but I personally consider it something like a little historical revisionism): I still remember the first releases that came out something like 12 years ago (when Zsnes 0.something dos fully supported transparencies in vesa2 mode, thing that the "inferior" Snes9x at that time could not do), the emulator "made by Zsknight and _Demo_" (and many others of course, even if still today many users think that the original developers are still there coding), and many other nice and happy moments of my personal past linked to Snes emulation through it.
I think that a name change will somehow be something like a little "backstab" for the previous developers (expecially Zsknight that left the scene some years ago after his tragical family loss, not without sorrow I suppose) that made the history of Zsnes (and the emu scene in general) before leaving forever.
I repeat, don't be offended, I know that you and Pagefault (and the others, of course) took a pratically abandoned project and made it reflourish, and that you completely rewrote a great part of the code (so that even if your Zsnes shares the same name with Zsknight's one it's really a different thing in terms of code and emulation), and that you're probably eager to rename the emulator to better express the above changes and set a new course for its future, but I had to express my personal feelings (probably a bit emotional and nostalgic) about this thing: i voted no, and I hope that other users that share my opinion will also join this thread and cast their vote: the poll is democratic and the majority will win of course (and I will accept the decision without regret, even if the "yes" option wins), but before that moment comes I think that everybody here should "throw his stone" (as we say here in Italy" and debate about it.
So, everybody reading this thread: join the discussion and write what you think, this is an historical thing about the future of our beloved emulator that matters a lot and deserves even more attention!
Last edited by Thalon on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fras
Hazed

Post by Fras »

Tough one. After coming up with names like ZWIN WIN and ZFOR_GREAT_JUSTICE, I still think ZSNES is the best. It's so classic, you know?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

odditude wrote:ztoaster. works on both 120v and 240v circuits.

now with moar butar.
This.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

I'd vote for the short but succinct "Z*" or "ZX".
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
crocomire
Hazed

Re: ZSNES 2.0 Status

Post by crocomire »

ZSNES ZERO 2 ALPHA EX PLUS ADVANCE: OBAMA SPECIAL EDITION
THE LAST METROID IS IN CAPTIVITY.
THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

why do I get the feeling this is yet another April Fool's Joke :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

adventure_of_link wrote:IMA KILLJOY
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

adventure_of_link wrote:why do I get the feeling this is yet another April Fool's Joke :?
ZBUTAR!
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

funkyass wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:why do I get the feeling this is yet another April Fool's Joke :?
ZBUTAR!
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Deathlike2 wrote:
funkyass wrote:
ZBUTAR!
SHUT
UP

both of you. :evil:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

It has to be z-n-e-s.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Thalon
Rookie

Post by Thalon »

ROTFL, now that I checked my clock I could think it too :lol:
I was hoping in another thread here that many persons would catch the classical timed bait hidden in zsnes' code that pops up today, but this one would be very evil if it's a fake: another person in another subforum here fell easily in the timed trap, so I hope this poll is real, otherwise I should really consider myself the new "special specimen" of this year after my previous post in this thread if the other fish I mention above isn't considered enough dumb by the special jury here :lol:
Last edited by Thalon on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

i demand "btw i am stupid" and or
"zboat" "boatulator" "zee's nes" "nachtime pro" and even dare I say

notasmlol
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

Its pretty sad some of us would enjoy reading up on actual ZSNES progress and the only thing we get is an April Fools joke. Like anyone with half a brain would assume otherwise on April 1st..... :rolleyes:
gllt

Post by gllt »

denzilla wrote:Its pretty sad some of us would enjoy reading up on actual ZSNES progress and the only thing we get is an April Fools joke. Like anyone with half a brain would assume otherwise on April 1st..... :rolleyes:
your post count is not large enough for your opinion to matter
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

gllt wrote:
denzilla wrote:Its pretty sad some of us would enjoy reading up on actual ZSNES progress and the only thing we get is an April Fools joke. Like anyone with half a brain would assume otherwise on April 1st..... :rolleyes:

LOL! The part you're missing is neither do you :lol:
byuu

Post by byuu »

But ... guns on the hood!
gllt wrote:your post count is not large enough for your opinion to matter

:: waits to be one-upped by grinvader ::
gllt

Post by gllt »

byuu wrote:
But ... guns on the hood!
gllt wrote:your post count is not large enough for your opinion to matter

:: waits to be one-upped by grinvader ::
I play six hundred posts and you lose a turn
yami predicts next post count ends in five
crocomire
Hazed

Post by crocomire »

Please, remove this spyware in ZTOASTER 2.0...

... I don't wanna go to jail! :shock:
THE LAST METROID IS IN CAPTIVITY.
THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...