replacing the antenna on a car.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

replacing the antenna on a car.

Post by adventure_of_link »

Dunno how many of our car people even visit this place anymore, but eh.

Does anyone know how to replace the antenna, let alone the wiring for it, on a 1997 Saturn?

EDIT: I've got the radio working again :) however I'd still like to know how the antenna+wire gets replaced since the stinger was bent out of place and I had to bend it back into place.

Yes, it was due to an undone connection in the passenger side infront under the glove box. :oops:

On another note, I never knew the AM side was controlled by the external antenna. I thought it was an internal one, given most of your household radios and boom boxes have an internal AM antenna. :o
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

AM "antennas" are usually (relatively to the rest) huge crosses holding circles of wire. Waves are too low frequency to hit a thin FM antenna, and reception can improve if you rotate the WHOLE cross+wire circles (i.e., your whole reciever) in the right direction so it captures the waves best.

The alternative is a -thick- ferrite rod wrapped in several wire layers. You still rotate the whole thing to improve reception.

So yeah, I kinda call bullshit on your "am antenna is controlled by a tiny piece of steel waving outside my hood which lacks guns and thus sucks greatly"
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

grinvader wrote:AM "antennas" are usually (relatively to the rest) huge crosses holding circles of wire. Waves are too low frequency to hit a thin FM antenna, and reception can improve if you rotate the WHOLE cross+wire circles (i.e., your whole reciever) in the right direction so it captures the waves best.

The alternative is a -thick- ferrite rod wrapped in several wire layers. You still rotate the whole thing to improve reception.
I know, this is what I meant when I said that a majority of household radioes (eg: boom boxes, TV/radio setups, hand-held radios, etc) have internal AM antennas.

However, the radio reciever in the car, internally, has neither setup (unless it's integrated into the outside antenna?)

Also I'm not trying to sound lime an ass or anything.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

You can also setup your own antenna if you don't like the one it comes with.

My father who used to dislike the bad reception; stuck like a 6' antenna on the back bumper, and just ran in a wire through a hole in the trunk and through the back seat. Used to get great reception after that, except had to be careful about certain low passes.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by grinvader »

I'm pretty sure the AM antenna of a car is the damn car.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

grinvader wrote:I'm pretty sure the AM antenna of a car is the damn car.
Well, I don't know if it was AM or not, I'm not really knowledgeable in these things.

The only thing that I do know was that it was used in conjunction with UHF.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

OK so back to the matter at hand, does anyone know how to replace (and NOT retro-fit to above the door or on the trunk) the antenna cabling? I've tried disconnecting the antenna underneath the glove box and removing the right fender to get to the antenna cord. Tugged at both places, no deal either way.
NSRT here.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

there are forums on the web that are more knowledgeable about these things.

Hell, did you even try google?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

funkyass wrote:there are forums on the web that are more knowledgeable about these things.

Hell, did you even try google?
Tried google and there's a site called http://www.saturnfans.com. I posted the same question there, didn't get a response yet

That said, for the most part I'd get results for everything not Saturn, saturns not in my model year, buying antennas, power antenna removal, etc.

EDIT: On another note, my post on saturnfans seems to be getting some attention and they gave me detailed instructions and youtube videos on how to remove the antenna.
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

creaothceann wrote:/o/
lol
皆黙って俺について来い!!

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

***UPDATE***

Turns out that the cable that plugs into the connector at the bottom of the glove box, runs all the way into the radio deck. That certainly explains why it wouldn't budge the first time I tried this :/

in any case, now I need to seek out a double male ended cable (one end plugs into the deck, the other plugs into the connector underneath the glove box.) Why the fuck must people ghetto-rig their vehicles when they do aftermarket setups :x
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

because 米
皆黙って俺について来い!!

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

grinvader wrote:because 米
Yeah, really. :/
NSRT here.