Buying a netbook; would like some input.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Nach wrote:
creaothceann wrote:
grinvader wrote:You know, it's like a usb, but with a dvd and a bigger lcd
heh
Ugh.

I went to visit my parents yesterday, and had yet another annoying conversation with my sister.

Code: Select all

<Sister> Nach, I went to the electronic store last week, and saw they had a new Mario Party game which you didn't give me yet.
<Nach> Yeah I know, there's a few Mario Party games I didn't give you.
<Sister> Can you get it for me?
<Nach> A friend of mine has it, he could probably make a copy for me if I asked him nicely.
<Sister> Would it work on my computer?
<Nach> I'm not sure, I'd have to look into it. Even if it does work though, there's a good chance your computer will play it slowly.
<Sister> That's okay, remember the other Mario Parties were slow on my old computer and I still played them? I also saw in the store that the game is played with a special remote control which is lots of fun, can I get something like that for my computer?
<Nach> We can buy that actual remote control, and a bluetooth adaptor for it, and you should be all set.
<Sister> What? I'm not talking about a microphone.
<Nach> Who said anything about a microphone?
<Sister> You just did.
<Nach> I'm pretty certain I didn't.
<Sister> You just said I'd have to talk into it.
<Nach> What?!?
<Sister> You said you'd buy me a bluetooth for remote control, I don't want to talk into the game.
<Nach> Do you know what bluetooth is?
<Sister> Yes it's a microphone.
<Nach> Uh no, it's a wireless technology that is used by the remote control you saw for communication.
<Sister> What are you stupid? Everyone knows bluetooth is a microphone.
This is what I have to put up with when it comes to any kind of technology.

You know all those old computer jokes about people who tried faxing floppy disks? I thought those will a bit over the top, and how could people be so stupid till about two weeks ago.

My sister called me up that her computer was going nuts, and she couldn't click on anything. I couldn't really diagnose it over the phone since nothing she said made much sense.
I got there in person, and noticed it looked like a whole bunch of keys were being pressed at once, what with menus popping up and immediately closing, and desktop items being traversed one after the other all by itself.
So I unplug the keyboard, and sure enough, all the craziness stopped. So I tell her she needs a new keyboard, this one seems to be acting up, or possibly the jack for it on her motherboard broke, we can test it by plugging her keyboard into a different computer.
She then asks me if this has anything to do with her washing her keyboard the day before.
"What exactly did you do?"
"Well, it had some dirt in it, so I took it to the sink, ran it under for a few minutes and wiped it off"
I felt ready to bang my head into the wall, such stupidity, and in my own family!
"Didn't you think that maybe it would break it, or that immediately after your computer was acting all weird, perhaps the keyboard is broken?"
"No, you never told me I can't wash my keyboard under the water before, why should that break anything?"

Seriously, some people shouldn't own a computer, or be allowed to touch technology. It's a wonder she hasn't yet tried plugging her toaster oven into her hair dryer.
Is she at least open-minded enough to change her definitions? Because I've heard that kind of conversation before...
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

creaothceann wrote: Is she at least open-minded enough to change her definitions? Because I've heard that kind of conversation before...
Hehe. I deal with people all the time that think the computer is the screen.
It's also always to keep this quote handy: "Monitors/Screens are only for those with weak memories".

She did used to think the screen was the main thing, but she's seen me open up the box and plug stuff into the box often enough to realize the box is the computer, or at least the most significant part of it, especially when she realizes she can listen to music even when the screen is off.

Although if she hears enough people use a computer term to refer to something, she'll use that term to refer to that thing, and think it's the sole meaning of the term till she has much much experience to the contrary.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by adventure_of_link »

Nach wrote:

That's almost like talking about vehicles, and someone says "nice car", when it happens to either be a (mini?) van or SUV.
Nach wrote:She did used to think the screen was the main thing, but she's seen me open up the box and plug stuff into the box often enough to realize the box is the computer,
Perhaps she's seen too many macs? :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:"nice car"
nice boat
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Nach wrote:

That's almost like talking about vehicles, and someone says "nice car", when it happens to either be a (mini?) van or SUV.
Best I can tell, lots of people are now buying "bluetooth headsets" for their cell phones, so she thinks bluetooth is a type of microphone.

adventure_of_link wrote:
Nach wrote:She did used to think the screen was the main thing, but she's seen me open up the box and plug stuff into the box often enough to realize the box is the computer,
Perhaps she's seen too many macs? :?
She has never once in her life seen a Mac.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by sweener2001 »

i'm glad that the people in my life (family and friends) aren't that stupid. they might not be as tech-savvy, but they know enough to get by and ask the right questions.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nach wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
Nach wrote:

Best I can tell, lots of people are now buying "bluetooth headsets" for their cell phones, so she thinks bluetooth is a type of microphone.
Sadly, that one's commonplace now.
People WERE buying Bluetooth headsets, and they didn't know what Bluetooth WAS.
So much like "ROM" is used to mean "pirated software" now... "Bluetooth" is used to mean "cellphone headset."
If you're lucky, it means "wireless cellphone headset."
If you're lucky.

I've heard someone call their not-wireless headset a "wired bluetooth" before.
It made me cry, but I restrained the nerd rant. And fist of death.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

my stepdad wanted to know what a bluetooth was

and that aggravated me all on its own (a bluetooth)

im so glad my mom is smrt

also nach's sister makes me lol so hard ilu nach

"I also saw in the store that the game is played with a special remote control which is lots of fun"

special remote
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:And fist of death.
Why ?

WHYYYY ???
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

sweener2001 wrote:i'm glad that the people in my life (family and friends) aren't that stupid. they might not be as tech-savvy, but they know enough to get by and ask the right questions.
See, the thing is, she's not stupid, at least regarding other stuff.

She gets a perfect score on every single test in school.

Although she seems to lack the creativity needed to even comprehend that what most of her friends talk about, or sheep logic drilled into her at school could in any way be wrong.

Post by grinvader »

Nach wrote:(...) not stupid (...) perfect score (...) lack the creativity (...) sheep logic (...)
CALCULATING... YOUR SISTER IS A ROBOT.

DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

grinvader wrote:
Nach wrote:(...) not stupid (...) perfect score (...) lack the creativity (...) sheep logic (...)

DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY
And my family tells me I'm the Skynet of the bunch.

Post by grinvader »

She's the buggy T1000 ! She's gonna make your world domination a hassle ! TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE !!
皆黙って俺について来い!!

creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

grinvader wrote:She's the buggy T1000 !
More like T-X :D
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nach wrote:
grinvader wrote:

DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY
And my family tells me I'm the Skynet of the bunch.
That's because they're all in on it!
By accusing you of robotry, they deflect your suspicion from them!
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

creaothceann wrote:
Nach wrote:
creaothceann wrote:
grinvader wrote:You know, it's like a usb, but with a dvd and a bigger lcd
heh
Ugh.

I went to visit my parents yesterday, and had yet another annoying conversation with my sister.

<Sister> Nach, I went to the electronic store last week, and saw they had a new Mario Party game which you didn't give me yet.
<Nach> Yeah I know, there's a few Mario Party games I didn't give you.
<Sister> Can you get it for me?
<Nach> A friend of mine has it, he could probably make a copy for me if I asked him nicely.
<Sister> Would it work on my computer?
<Nach> I'm not sure, I'd have to look into it. Even if it does work though, there's a good chance your computer will play it slowly.
<Sister> That's okay, remember the other Mario Parties were slow on my old computer and I still played them? I also saw in the store that the game is played with a special remote control which is lots of fun, can I get something like that for my computer?
<Nach> We can buy that actual remote control, and a bluetooth adaptor for it, and you should be all set.
<Sister> What? I'm not talking about a microphone.
<Nach> Who said anything about a microphone?
<Sister> You just did.
<Nach> I'm pretty certain I didn't.
<Sister> You just said I'd have to talk into it.
<Nach> What?!?
<Sister> You said you'd buy me a bluetooth for remote control, I don't want to talk into the game.
<Nach> Do you know what bluetooth is?
<Sister> Yes it's a microphone.
<Nach> Uh no, it's a wireless technology that is used by the remote control you saw for communication.
This is what I have to put up with when it comes to any kind of technology.

You know all those old computer jokes about people who tried faxing floppy disks? I thought those will a bit over the top, and how could people be so stupid till about two weeks ago.

My sister called me up that her computer was going nuts, and she couldn't click on anything. I couldn't really diagnose it over the phone since nothing she said made much sense.
I got there in person, and noticed it looked like a whole bunch of keys were being pressed at once, what with menus popping up and immediately closing, and desktop items being traversed one after the other all by itself.
So I unplug the keyboard, and sure enough, all the craziness stopped. So I tell her she needs a new keyboard, this one seems to be acting up, or possibly the jack for it on her motherboard broke, we can test it by plugging her keyboard into a different computer.
She then asks me if this has anything to do with her washing her keyboard the day before.
"What exactly did you do?"
"Well, it had some dirt in it, so I took it to the sink, ran it under for a few minutes and wiped it off"
I felt ready to bang my head into the wall, such stupidity, and in my own family!
"Didn't you think that maybe it would break it, or that immediately after your computer was acting all weird, perhaps the keyboard is broken?"
"No, you never told me I can't wash my keyboard under the water before, why should that break anything?"

Seriously, some people shouldn't own a computer, or be allowed to touch technology. It's a wonder she hasn't yet tried plugging her toaster oven into her hair dryer.
Is she at least open-minded enough to change her definitions? Because I've heard that kind of conversation before...
I laughed out loud
bringing Zsnes back
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Update, I'm basically narrowed it down to five choices:

Asus Eee PC 1000HE: Decent battery life, chicklet keyboard, wireless 802.11n, Has the N280. 3.2 lbs. $389.

Samsung N110: Better Shift key placement, Better battery life, and better looking than the 1000HE. Overall Thinner/Lighter at 2.78 lbs. No wireless N, no chicklet keyboard, N270. $469.

Samsung N120: Same Shift Key placement as N110, but Bigger Keyboard than the N110. Has a subwoofer built in. Not as good battery life as the N110 or the 1000HE, but still better than most others. Best looking of the 3 (comes in white). $459

The unreleased Asus Eee PC 1008: Better looking than the Samsung N120, probably won't get the greatest battery life and I'd have to wait for it (don't know when it's coming out).

Unknown/Unreleased Netbook with N280 or Dual Core Atom with Nvidia Ion: Probably won't be coming out till Q4 2009 around christmas. Will probably get worse battery life than any of the above.

In short, the last two I think I will pass on. It's just tough deciding between the Top 3, can anyone help me rule out one of the above to make my choice easier? Any thoughts at all would be appreciated :D
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

byuu wrote:Coolest part about the Atom is that it's an in-order processor.
... why is that cool?