New forum for bsnes

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
byuu

Post by byuu »

do you also apply word filter for the often mis-spelled emulator names on your forum?
Not yet. If it gets to be a problem, I may auto-correct the spelling. Worst case I'd put the proper spelling in bold, hot pink.
Congrats on getting your own forum set up finally byuu, what was it 2 years in the making?
Hahah, yeah. This place spoiled me big time. Seriously, I can't thank you enough for the forum here. Look me up if you ever want the favor repaid :)
I thought you were never going to work on SA-1 stuff
Me neither. I was replacing the ugly opcode core with a nicer pre-processor based one, and decided to see what would happen if I stuck the bare minimum registers in with the core. Surprisingly, most games work fine and don't even use 10% of the special features of the chip.

That only leaves SuperFX and S-PPU Nukem Forever in the major category. Then it's down to boring Shogi games and games that suck because they don't have guns on their hoods. In all seriousness, SuperFX looks like a real pain. Totally custom opcode core ... all kinds of 3D-ish things ... ugh.
I look forward to other great stuff coming for your end of the pipeline
Likewise, can't wait to see the new Qt UI and cores. Really love that API. I'll throw in my hand at making a ZSNES v1.51-alike stylesheet for it :)

Glad to finally see you back! :D
Hope all has been well.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

S-PPU Nukem Forever
:lol: :lol: :lol:
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I'd just like to say, congrats on your new forum.

Next weekend, I shall close this forum up and keep it as an archive. Byuu, if you have any objections to this plan, let me know.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
byuu

Post by byuu »

Thanks, your plan sounds good to me. Everything appears to be running smoothly with phpBB3. I was afraid I'd only get five or six registrations, so I'm honored that so many people have stopped by. If someone needs to say something here, the can always start a 20,000-post thread in the emulators section again ;)

I'll make a thread on the new forum with links to the "bsnes thread" and "old bsnes board" archives.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote:I'll throw in my hand at making a ZSNES v1.51-alike stylesheet for it :)
I wanted to do that, and make it optional of course. Although all help is appreciated :)
byuu wrote:I was afraid I'd only get five or six registrations, so I'm honored that so many people have stopped by.
I'm just afraid checking yet another forum on a daily basis will be a bit of a hassle, so I won't be able to contribute as much as I do with the forum here.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by byuu »

Nach wrote:I wanted to do that, and make it optional of course. Although all help is appreciated :)
Cool, that works. I'll bug Derrick for help making the all-caps 5x5 font, at least for Windows. Do manual 2x scaling on it or something. We can even use Qt Linguist to abbreviate everything, heh.

With any luck, we can use the same stylesheet on gambatte and bsnes as well :)
Nach wrote:I'm just afraid checking yet another forum on a daily basis will be a bit of a hassle, so I won't be able to contribute as much as I do with the forum here.
Yeah, definitely a problem. I'll still come by here daily and such so we can discuss general SNES dev stuff on the forum here.

Just use mine for things like ruby::ALSA patches and specific stuff like that.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

The 5x5 font isn't really something I'm fond of. There was a point in time where grin was even thinking of designing a new GUI with less limitations.

Here's what I think we are fond of:
Custom widget looks not found elsewhere
Background effects (screen saver?) when GUI is open
Colorizing some widget properties
Custom fonts (although this is a relatively new ZSNES feature)

Getting that custom look is the big deal. We should be able to more or less port or recreate the background effects without too much difficulty. Colorizing should be pretty easy thanks to CSS, and we can add even more colorizing options. Custom fonts also easy since we'll be supporting TTF/OTF which everyone already uses, and can easily be created with Fontforge or Adobe's something or other font program.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by byuu »

Font was more for the fun of things ;)
Easy enough to specify anything for the font-family property.

Most important part will be using setObjectName + setProperty("class", ...) and not using nested windows ala gambatte (or at least find a way to make their backgrounds transparent so we can do more than just solid colors.)

An enhanced version with gradients would be kind of nice, but it may be hard to do some things like the scrollbar face and checkbox images.

EDIT: a first attempt. Colors are a bit off, but you get the idea.

EDIT 2: moved updates below.
Last edited by byuu on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Cool! I Like.
Drop down and radio buttons need work though.

Post by Fras »

Woah, that looks totally awesome.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

It should also be possible (in theory) to remove the "minimize" & "maximize" buttons in the title bar.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

Nach wrote:Cool! I Like.
How's this?

Code: Select all

#settings-window {
  background: #2020a8;
}

QListWidget, QTreeWidget, QLineEdit, QComboBox {
  background: #000000;
  border-left: 2px solid #101098;
  border-top: 2px solid #000088;
  border-right: 2px solid #3030b8;
  border-bottom: 2px solid #4040c8;
  color: #00dc00;
  font-weight: bold;
  padding: 2px;
}

QListWidget {
  selection-background-color: #a00050;
  selection-color: #00dc00;
}

QLabel {
  color: #a0a000;
}

QCheckBox, QRadioButton {
  color: #a8a8e0;
}

QComboBox::drop-down {
  image: url(combobox.png);
}

QRadioButton::indicator::checked {
  image: url(radiodown.png);
}

QRadioButton::indicator::unchecked {
  image: url(radioup.png);
}

QLabel.title {
  margin-left: -2px;
  margin-bottom: 5px;
  text-decoration: underline;
}

QPushButton {
  background: #686888;
  border-left: 2px solid #7878a0;
  border-top: 2px solid #888cb8;
  border-right: 2px solid #505470;
  border-bottom: 2px solid #404458;
  padding-left: 5px;
  padding-right: 5px;
}

Granted, the rescaling sucks. Someone will have to redraw the controls for the higher resolution.

And by using images, we may need to re-do them for each platform based on their default fonts and such.
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

Screw that, just use Marlett like Windows does.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Lookin' good byuu!
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote:
Nach wrote:Cool! I Like.
How's this?

Code: Select all

#settings-window {
  background: #2020a8;
}

QListWidget, QTreeWidget, QLineEdit, QComboBox {
  background: #000000;
  border-left: 2px solid #101098;
  border-top: 2px solid #000088;
  border-right: 2px solid #3030b8;
  border-bottom: 2px solid #4040c8;
}

QListWidget {
  selection-background-color: #a00050;
  selection-color: #00dc00;
}

QLabel {
  color: #a0a000;
}

QCheckBox, QRadioButton {
  color: #a8a8e0;
}

QComboBox::drop-down {
  image: url(combobox.png);
}

QRadioButton::indicator::checked {
  image: url(radiodown.png);
}

QRadioButton::indicator::unchecked {
  image: url(radioup.png);
}

QLabel.title {
  margin-left: -2px;
  margin-bottom: 5px;
  text-decoration: underline;
}

QPushButton {
  background: #686888;
  border-left: 2px solid #7878a0;
  border-top: 2px solid #888cb8;
  border-right: 2px solid #505470;
  border-bottom: 2px solid #404458;
  padding-left: 5px;
  padding-right: 5px;
}

Granted, the rescaling sucks. Someone will have to redraw the controls for the higher resolution.

And by using images, we may need to re-do them for each platform based on their default fonts and such.
Now that's impressive, and spookily looks like ZSNES with all kinds of new goodies added.

I would like to somehow do it though without having to manually make new images all the time. Perhaps use SVG for scaling, or use Qt's drawing functions to draw them in real time.

Post by byuu »

Ooooh yeah, great idea. I totally forgot Qt had SVG support. We can easily build it into static libraries with little fuss. We'd definitely be losing the 'charm' of low res, but the spirit is still there.

I believe it's possible to call setStyleSheet() after an app is running, so we could add some code in to still allow the GUI color config sliders to work.

Anyone interested in making ZSNES-themed SVGs of the following?
- Radio box checked, unchecked and pressed down
- Check box checked, unchecked and pressed down
- Combo box drop down arrow; pressed and depressed
- Scrollbar up+down; pressed and depressed
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote: I believe it's possible to call setStyleSheet() after an app is running, so we could add some code in to still allow the GUI color config sliders to work.
You can indeed change styles after it is running.

And while sliders are nice, I'm thinking it might be wise to convert that to spin boxes (maybe even hex spin boxes), or at the very least allow HTML style colors.

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

byuu wrote:Ooooh yeah, great idea. I totally forgot Qt had SVG support. We can easily build it into static libraries with little fuss. We'd definitely be losing the 'charm' of low res, but the spirit is still there.
Speaking of low-res....
I was wondering if including the low-res font was planned, or if I'd have to make due with Atari Raster, Small Fonts, or the MAME font.

I believe it's possible to call setStyleSheet() after an app is running, so we could add some code in to still allow the GUI color config sliders to work.
HOORAY!

I've been using a gold ZSNES for ages.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Finally ... for tree views, you want to style QHeaderView::section.
Only major problem now is sliders. If you theme them, you lose the ability to drag the slider with your mouse. It may indeed be best to just use spin boxes to avoid that problem.

Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Wow another ZSNES. Just messing with you. :twisted:

Really does look neat.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
byuu

Post by byuu »

Dullaron wrote:Wow another ZSNES. Just messing with you. :twisted
I don't follow. What part about that screenshot reminds you of ZSNES? [url=http://sarcasm:obvious]http://sarcasm:obvious[/url]
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Lol, good one, byuu!
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

byuu wrote:
Dullaron wrote:Wow another ZSNES. Just messing with you. :twisted
I don't follow. What part about that screenshot reminds you of ZSNES? [url=http://sarcasm:obvious]http://sarcasm:obvious[/url]
The title bar of course! :!:
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64