What is best resolution?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

sigfried.m
Rookie

What is best resolution?

Post by sigfried.m »

Hi guys, I want to know what is best resolution in Zsnes for you.
My monitor is an LCD 1680x1050. If I set 1680x1050 resolution on Zsnes 1.51, then it look really ugly, also if with filters, so I set 640x480 DS F resolution, with 2xHQ Filter, None Scanlines, Hi-Res Mode 7, VSync and Triple Buffering, is it good? What are your suggestions?
Ph4n70m
Rookie

Post by Ph4n70m »

You can't get anything "beautiful" using a LCD monitor, nor with CRT monitor...
The best graphics are obtained plugging your video card on a CRT TV, and setting your resolution to 640x480 without filters.

But if you dont have a CRT TV, try to use your native LCD resolution without filters, or hqxx...

PS: HI-RES MODE 7 won't work with ANY filter (I suggest a fix in next release)
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Depending on the drivers, the output will look ugly as hell under Vista, thanks to the removal of bilinear filtering. There's not much you can do about that, other than try to use the highest resolution scaler possible, such as HQ4x.
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

I have a 1024x768 monitor. I set ZSNES to 1024x768 (60Hz), no filters, stretched.

Stretched might not look as good on your monitor, though, since it's not 4:3. You might be better off with Maintain Correct Aspect Ratio (I think that's what the option is called).

Back in my filtering days, I was a big fan of Super Eagle. I don't like how HQxx looks with SNES games, but your mileage may vary.
alyxx
Rookie

Post by alyxx »

I don't really care how good my game looks as long as I can run it smoothly.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

1280x1024 DS Fullscreen, keeping 4:3 aspect ratio, interpolation filter, VSync + Triple Buffering, no automatic frame skipping, screen refresh rate set to 60 via DXDiag

Without the 4:3 aspect ratio, graphics might be different from what they're supposed to look like.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

If you really want to see what the game was meant to look like(Unless it was a PAL exclusive), put the NTSC filter on. If it bugs you, interpolation and scanlines generally mimic the looks well enough for most people.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Technically you want any resolution >= 512x478.
After that it all comes to tastes and opinions.

I heard LCDs are best left in their native res, though, whatever filters you use.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
crocomire
Hazed

Post by crocomire »

I have a 1280x720 monitor and I set ZSNES to 768x672 DR W, HQ3X and VSync.
THE LAST METROID IS IN CAPTIVITY.
THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...
mandax

Post by mandax »

My LCD monitor flickers when coming out of sleep mode. Any clue why this is happening? My LCD monitor flickers when coming out of sleep mode and does not stop. Any clue why this is happening? My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 932b.
Last edited by mandax on Sat May 30, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

-_- Wrong thread for this.

Sounds like it's dying to me... Have you googled and seen if the flickering is an issue with that model?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ph4n70m wrote:PS: HI-RES MODE 7 won't work with ANY filter (I suggest a fix in next release)
Already known, and probably won't happen.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

If you look at it that stupid hack of a feature only brought trouble (plus it breaks many mode7 visual effects due to the additional unexpected lines).
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54