Intermittent black screen

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

snkcube wrote:nintendo_nerd: So what exactly is your PSU's brand and model? You still haven't answered odditude's question.
Sorry for not answering sooner; I looked at the PSU with a flashlight, but I can't see what brand/model it is. All I can see is the output: 500W.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

it only takes four screws. you might need a new power supply, not (just?) a new video card.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

odditude wrote:it only takes four screws. you might need a new power supply, not (just?) a new video card.
Hmmm. That's weird, but eVGA tells me it only needs a 450W PSU as stated here: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.a ... P3-1155-TR at the bottom of the page. If I do have to get one, how much wattage are we talking about? I do have a good 500W PSU.
odditude

Post by odditude »

odditude wrote:@op - exactly what psu do you have, make and model? giving just the wattage doesn't mean a damn thing, since a 500W piece of crap is no better (and often worse) than a 350W quality unit.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

yep, we need to know the amps on each rail as well. cheap PSUs tend to provide hopeless amps on each rail which iw why they are so cheap.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

It might be 14V, but I'm gonna to have to look closer at the PSU. I'll let you know shortly.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

there should be a sticker on it, either take a photo of it (and upload it), write it all down or tell us the name/brand/model of the PSU.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

nintendo_nerd wrote:It might be 14V, but I'm gonna to have to look closer at the PSU. I'll let you know shortly.

Volts are NOT amps. Voltage is the pressure needed to make the current (amps) flow.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:
nintendo_nerd wrote:It might be 14V, but I'm gonna to have to look closer at the PSU. I'll let you know shortly.
Volts are NOT amps. Voltage is the pressure needed to make the current (amps) flow.
if it WERE 14V, that'd be an even bigger problem, lol
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

odditude wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
if it WERE 14V, that'd be an even bigger problem, lol
POWER OVERWHELMING

It helps a lot if the Amps of each line are listed (3V, 5V, 12V, and others...?) PSUs that don't list this literally cannot be trusted.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude

Post by odditude »

He-Man wrote:I HAVE TEH POWAHHH!!!
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Uh-oh, Franpa alert.... okay, but I did get the card (GTS 250), and I haven't gotten any PSU issues. Games run sliky smooth. But I'll now understand the difference between amps/volts and what have you.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I've done the Memtest86+ runs (spent 2 hours for 3 runs) and all is well. I don't plan on running the test for longer periods though... :P
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

It actually keeps the temperature regulated this time! I played 3D intensive games (it's old, but realistic; chaos theory). It didn't surpass 52 C, and cools down quickly.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

You should still post specs about your PSU as if it is not powerful enough for your computer then your PSU may eventually "give up"/deteriorate quickly and take some/eveything connected to it with it when it dies.
odditude

Post by odditude »

franpa wrote:You should still post specs about your PSU as if it is not powerful enough for your computer then your PSU may eventually "give up"/deteriorate quickly and take some/eveything connected to it with it when it dies.
the 13th sign of the apocalypse is upon us... franpa is making relevant and insightful posts in a hardware thread. ;)
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Hmmm...it's been two days since the video card change and so far no signs of deterioration yet...but I'll keep on the lookout; if it flakes out on me, I'll have to buy a new PSU. I just hope it doesn't come to that.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

if it flakes out, it could take your whole system with it.

Take the PC apart, remove the PSU and see who made it.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

yes, and by "the whole system" we mean "Motherboard, Soundcard, Network card, all hard drives, all optical drives like CD/DVD, all your memory sticks and your video card" may die and probably can't get any of it replaced under warranty due to not powering anything correctly when it failed.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

That is, of course, an EXTREME worst-case scenario, along the lines of power supply explosion and fire failure.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:That is, of course, an EXTREME worst-case scenario, along the lines of power supply explosion and fire failure.
I've had it happen to me three times.

Three.

Take it from my personal experience: do not fuck around with power supplies ever.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:That is, of course, an EXTREME worst-case scenario, along the lines of power supply explosion and fire failure.

Three.

Take it from my personal experience: do not fuck around with power supplies ever.
Jesus fucking Buddha in a picnic basket.

How the hell do you get that many complete hardware failures without accidentally setting the voltage switch(OLDSKOOL!1111) to 110 in a 220V region?
Seriously.

For the record, I DO recommend getting a decent power supply.

I've got a 500-watt Corsair in my system.
Corsair gets theirs from Seasonic, so it's a highly-respected power supply manufacturer. And it's as quiet as a really really quiet thing, which was a major goal of this build.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

Three.

How the hell do you get that many complete hardware failures without accidentally setting the voltage switch(OLDSKOOL!1111) to 110 in a 220V region?
Seriously.

Corsair gets theirs from Seasonic, so it's a highly-respected power supply manufacturer. And it's as quiet as a really really quiet thing, which was a major goal of this build.
Three pre-built systems.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:

Three.

Seriously.

Three pre-built systems.
EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNCLEAN!!!!!!!!!!
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I tried to talk my dad into letting me build the third one, but he said nooooooooo.

Oh, well, I got a Core 2 duo based system out of it soooo....