SA-1 Documentation

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Calamity

SA-1 Documentation

Post by Calamity »

I want to develop some code for a real SA1. Is there any documentation available? Google's not much help, and Internet Archive seems to have missed some good stuff from back in the day...

What's the best way to find out about clocks, handshaking, memory arbitration, interrupt vectors? Just troll through the ZSNES source and see how it deals with emulating it?

TIA
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

RHDN has some info: link
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

And if you want to troll through source code, you can also look at bsnes.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

*hat tip*

Couldn't have said it better.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

Thanks for the tips guys. Wish I'd thought of looking in the development manual first. There's a whole section on the SA-1 right there. :roll:

From that I get the idea that the reason the SA-1 exists was to give developers an easy upgrade path when they ran out of cycles on the SNES cpu, without having to do any recoding or porting. And depending on how much effort they put in, anything from a 2-5x speed up could be instantly reaslised. How decadent to put all that CPU power in the cart!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Calamity wrote:How decadent to put all that CPU power in the cart!
Well, they couldn't very well redesign the SNES to have a more powerful processor.
I mean, they COULD have and launched it as a new system, but it would've been highly unsatisfactory.

The SNES was critically underpowered, and had coprocessors almost from day 1. The 65816 was a poor choice of processor, in retrospect.

Admittedly, the DSP-1 was replacing a coprocessor that was removed from the base hardware more or less at the last minute, but... Pilotwings missed the Japanese launch by exactly one month, if Wikipedia can be believed.
ikari_01

Post by ikari_01 »

Does anybody still have that document? The link is dead. Seems I missed it by a couple of days. :(
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The link works for me.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list