I despise unnecessary filters

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

I despise unnecessary filters

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Okay, so, a while back, my mom decided to install a filter called Blue Coat K9 Web Protection and set up the type of sites to allow and disallow. It was installed since unnamed people who were surfing on the Internet decided to look up things that weren't meant to be looked up. So, the crossed the line and it was installed. Now, what pisses me off is most, if not all, video sites (like youtube and hulu) are blocked under the catagory: "Social Networking Streaming Media / MP3". Given, if you looked on youtube, there are both good and bad videos; that goes with the rest of the internet as well. The internet can be used for good or for bad. When one filters sites like that, it's as though one's freedom of choice has been taken away, or, it seems as though one is not trusted. I would ask the admin, but, she's in California and I don't want to bother her; she would have to give the password over the phone, which is something I doubt will happen. I would like to use proxy servers, but all the ones I've tried are blocked, unless there's one that will work. What do I do about this? I don't want to look anything bad up, I just want to watch videos. What can be done about this?

Edit: 12:43PM: I'm almost convinced that someone, or something is trying to hack into the filter admin settings. Why? Well, earlier on Monday, I could access Facebook just fine. However, later that day, I go to face book and all I see is text (and can't be accesed even by loading a cached page via google). So, there's something screwy going on, saying as the admin made no changes since two weeks ago. Unless changes can be made remotely, I have no idea.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
mytmyke
Rookie

Post by mytmyke »

You can:

A) Explain to your mom that even though you live in her house, that your 38 years old and are mature enough to handle unrestricted internet.

or if you are indeed a minor child:

B) Wait until your balls drop, get a job, buy your own stuff and make your own freaken rules.

Good luck.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Well, I received the admin password and can make the necessary changes, so, that will no longer be an issue so long as I don't give the password out to anyone else; so the limitation is no longer as bad as it seems. I was sure as heck surprised when she gave it to me, but seriously, I didn't see that one coming. Oh, and I'm 23 years old and due to me not having a job, the mere possibility of moving out is next to impossible and will be for a while to come.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

heh,

you could always simply install another OS as dual boot and bypass any software installed on the original OS.

Cheers.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

That works, too, I mean after all, Microsoft has Windows 7 betas for free until 2010....I thought having XP and Windows 7 (or other vista like OS) have conflicts and/or don't like eachother.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

nintendo_nerd wrote:That works, too, I mean after all, Microsoft has Windows 7 betas for free until 2010....I thought having XP and Windows 7 (or other vista like OS) have conflicts and/or don't like eachother.
What do you mean? I've dual-booted Windows XP/Vista as well as XP/7 and I didn't get any problems out of either OS :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

nintendo_nerd wrote:I thought having XP and Windows 7 (or other vista like OS) have conflicts and/or don't like eachother.
Your assumptions are quite off, sir.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

triple-booting on the new box, here (worms world party doesn't like vista or 7 *grumble*)
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of those people who dual boot Linux (any version) and XP. My bad. But I'd have to create a new partition (around 17GB) and burn the ISO to a DVD-R, correct?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

nintendo_nerd wrote:Yeah, I guess I was thinking of those people who dual boot Linux (any version) and XP. My bad. But I'd have to create a new partition (around 17GB) and burn the ISO to a DVD-R, correct?
Even still, I've dual-booted XP and Linux (even having to manually build LILO and GRUB on several occassions :P) and for the most part I didn't have a problem there.

That said, you burn the ISO to a DVD-R, and you'll need at least a ~10GB partition for windows 7 (unless that changed for the RC edition?)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

adventure_of_link wrote:That said, you burn the ISO to a DVD-R, and you'll need at least a ~10GB partition for windows 7 (unless that changed for the RC edition?)
According to the final system requirements, it needs 16GB for 32-bit, or 20GB for 64-bit. I would recommend more than that just to be safe.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Is there a reason why it must be DVD-R and not DVD-RW? I'd make it a 20GB or so partition to be safe.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Because it doesn't. I used a DVD-RW.
He just used the shorter term.

I threw in a spare hard drive and installed it to that.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

kode54 wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:That said, you burn the ISO to a DVD-R, and you'll need at least a ~10GB partition for windows 7 (unless that changed for the RC edition?)
According to the final system requirements, it needs 16GB for 32-bit, or 20GB for 64-bit. I would recommend more than that just to be safe.
Fair enough. Started to say I put win7 on my spare 12GB partition and although I had to delete massive stuff off my C partition to install win7, it still installed and worked.. :?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

adventure_of_link wrote:
kode54 wrote:
Fair enough. Started to say I put win7 on my spare 12GB partition and although I had to delete massive stuff off my C partition to install win7, it still installed and worked.. :?
32 or 64-bit? I had a tough time fitting Vista 32-bit on a similarly sized partition, but maybe it's larger than Windows 7. It installed, but some updates pushed the free space to the limit.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

I used 32-bit Vista and 7. Then again to be fair, I never installed the official final release of vista, let alone any vista loaded with service packs.

I just mounted my vista and 7 isos in windows so via daemon tools and installed from there.
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

odditude wrote:triple-booting on the new box, here (worms world party doesn't like vista or 7 *grumble*)
why don't you just use windows xp virtualization in windows 7, it comes with it.
nintendo_nerd wrote:Yeah, I guess I was thinking of those people who dual boot Linux (any version) and XP. My bad. But I'd have to create a new partition (around 17GB) and burn the ISO to a DVD-R, correct?
it doesn't matter, I booted windows 7 and 3 versions of Linux at once, no issues. Misinformation or ignorance, or both.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Panzer88 wrote:
odditude wrote:triple-booting on the new box, here (worms world party doesn't like vista or 7 *grumble*)
why don't you just use windows xp virtualization in windows 7, it comes with it.
It is not included with Windows 7.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

uh, you fail, it does, you just have to have a compatible CPU. it DOES come with it.

way to fail using a franpa alert.

learn to read and research
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Currently, its a separate download, and going to be an optional component to Pro/Ultimate editions of Win7 when its RTM.

If its included on the same disc is another issue.

At the very least, all one can say is you get a license to run XP under win7 pro/ultimate.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

funkyass wrote:Currently, its a separate download, and going to be an optional component to Pro/Ultimate editions of Win7 when its RTM.
Correctamundo my good man.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

aka if you are running Windows 7 right now, you have access to it, it's part of the Windows 7 experience, that's like saying Live Messenger, Photo Gallery, or Media Player aren't part of Windows 7.

The point is, if you have Windows 7 on your PC RIGHT NOW. You can have it, and you don't have to dual boot windows.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

any software that works under Windows 7 is part of the Windows 7 experience o_o, the only difference is that it is 'only' supported on Windows 7.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

game over man

game over
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Okay, I got Windows 7 burned to the ISO (and it does load up the menu), now, I do want to set up a dual OS boot...should I make a new topic for this?