Where to request translations...

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

White_Cat

Where to request translations...

Post by White_Cat »

Where would be a good place to give requests for a translation?

DeJap Projects clearly doesn't want me to request translations so me posting there would just annoy them.

The game I seek to get translated is "Daisenryaku Expert" which seems to be a Japanese only game. Seems like Daisenryaku became quite a classic.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

um...

It's really kind of pointless. No one here wil ltake up your request. Sorry.

Edit: also, DeJap is dead.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: Where to request translations...

Post by Deathlike2 »

White_Cat wrote:Where would be a good place to give requests for a translation?
Usually, that doesn't work out, for various reasons. Unless a translation group would want to translate a particular game or are actively looking for requests (which is rare in itself), you are hoping for too much.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

you never know, a request like this may spark someone's interest.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

romhacking.net forums has a thread for pointless translation request I think. It's down for the moment though.
White_Cat

Post by White_Cat »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:you never know, a request like this may spark someone's interest.
The translation isn't that hard. The game is mostly animation based and not text based. So unlike some text based games you do not have a book-like translation request.

Daisenryaku series extend to today so hopefully someone would be interested in it.

What I'd like to know is names of SNES translation groups... Or at least a good way to search for them....
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

There aren't groups like DeJap any more, as far as I'm aware. You just create a thread on RHDN with what you have accomplished so far (or contact familiar members via PM), and see who joins the project.

Regarding the current RHDN status see http://www.romhacking.net/ .
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

White_Cat wrote:The translation isn't that hard. The game is mostly animation based and not text based. So unlike some text based games you do not have a book-like translation request.
Buddy, you have NO idea how hard translation actually is.

Besides dumping and translating the WHOLE script, you have to hack through the ROM to make sure said script fits throughout the whole game (like for instance, if a place in game is meant to have five characters displayed at once (eg, names, items, etc. since most japanese words can be fit into one kanji or several katakana/hiragana), you'd have to hack through the game code to make sure you can extend the character display to more than five characters. Yeah, nothing like having POTION spelled out as POTIO in the game amirite?) This hacking process varies from game to game.

While most NES ROMs can be hacked through a hex editor, most anything from SNES upwards need special tools meant to hack that particular ROM, and not to mention anyway, some games decompress graphics on the fly.
Last edited by adventure_of_link on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

White_Cat wrote:The translation isn't that hard.
Then do it.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
White_Cat

Post by White_Cat »

adventure_of_link wrote:
White_Cat wrote:The translation isn't that hard. The game is mostly animation based and not text based. So unlike some text based games you do not have a book-like translation request.

Besides dumping and translating the WHOLE script, you have to hack through the ROM to make sure said script fits throughout the whole game (like for instance, if a place in game is meant to have five characters displayed at once (eg, names, items, etc. since most japanese words can be fit into one kanji or several katakana/hiragana), you'd have to hack through the game code to make sure you can extend the character display to more than five characters. Yeah, nothing like having POTION spelled out as POTIO in the game amirite?) This hacking process varies from game to game.

While most NES ROMs can be hacked through a hex editor, most anything from SNES upwards need special tools meant to hack that particular ROM, and not to mention anyway, some games decompress graphics on the fly.
I know it is hard. What I meant was the actual game doesn't have that much text. It only has a handful of menus unlike some games...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

White_Cat wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:

I know it is hard. What I meant was the actual game doesn't have that much text. It only has a handful of menus unlike some games...
You still have to find it all, like pokemon, except without any sort of cuteness. It seems easy on the surface, but if you've not done any of it yourself, you should really stop saying it's easy.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
White_Cat

Post by White_Cat »

Deathlike2 wrote:
White_Cat wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:

You still have to find it all, like pokemon, except without any sort of cuteness. It seems easy on the surface, but if you've not done any of it yourself, you should really stop saying it's easy.
I was saying "relatively easy". Anyways. It turns out this forum is a waste of my time.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

White_Cat wrote:I was saying "relatively easy". Anyways. It turns out this forum is a waste of my time.
Oh, so it's a waste of time because we explained how complicated some translations can be and you still assume the mentality of ITS SO EASY LOLLER

idiot
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

AOL, it would be great if you could stop trying to look cool by cliché Internet dissing n00bs.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

poop
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

White_Cat wrote:Anyways. It turns out this forum is a waste of my time.
You think you'll find a forum that would care to take your requests? Good luck with your search for Atlantis.