State of sound in Linux not so sorry after all

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

State of sound in Linux not so sorry after all

Post by Nach »

May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by gllt »

*clap*

Well written. I enjoyed glancing at it this morning, when I get some energy I'll take a closer look.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

well-written and informative. thanks!
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I look at the default stuff distributed by a distro as a matter of convenience... but mainly everyone is looking for all that stuff to be integrated well (it's pretty much an MS philosophy, except MS still can't quite get their browser security on par with the alternatives). If things are "broken" out of the box, that becomes an issue for newbies, but also those that are familiar with the distro. As a user, you want some control, but primarily I want stuff working out of the box.

In any case, stupid added latency is bad, and people should shaddap about PulseAudio.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

Deathlike2 wrote:except MS still can't quite get their browser security on par with the alternatives
C'mon...

Joke :D ... or not?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

tukuyomi wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:except MS still can't quite get their browser security on par with the alternatives
C'mon...

Joke :D ... or not?
Just add a useless checkmark and we're all set!

Seriously, it's not a useful comparison.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Good to know they're working on the state of sound in Linux. :)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Cool article. I agree with a lot of it and I'm willing to try OSS again now that I found out about ALSA using OSS as a back-end. I just hope that it treats my new sound card better than my old one (no mixing for SPDIF).
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

you've been slashdotted.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Take the current ALSA and fuse it with the 64-bit FP SW mixer from OSS4, integrate JACK2 into the mix (for ridiculously low latencies and advanced connectivity) and you have the perfect Linux audio system :)
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

how does Pulseaudio reduce latency?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

funkyass wrote:how does Pulseaudio reduce latency?
Where did you see someone saying that ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

this fellow said that, so did this other fellow.

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

funkyass wrote:this fellow said that, so did this other fellow.
Shoot those fellows then?

Seriously, I don't want to hear Pulseaudio is for everything talk. There's not enough specific cases that are mentioned (UT shouldn't be a strain on anything)... especially when you NEED the low latency. Pretty most stuff that's non-ALSA or non-OSS is a wrapper... which is just asking for extra overhead... and the impact really does depend on what you're doing.

I'm starting to think related Linux discussions are primarily about complaining about how major components aren't working and less action about actually fixing it...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I like how one of them links an article to explain how PulseAudio reduces latency, when the author of the article directly states in the comments that this INCREASES latency.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I like how one of them links an article to explain how PulseAudio reduces latency, when the author of the article directly states in the comments that this INCREASES latency.
Someone failed to read... or even just searched for latency in that article. The point was to make it adaptive (I think) for most things ("glitch free"), except under low latency situations, where it still fails.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

fanboyism is a curse.

gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

funkyass wrote:fanboyism is a curse.
properly delivered understandable and simple informative truth is the cure.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

adventure_of_link wrote:Good to know they're working on the state of sound in Linux. :)
Well yes and no, too many Linux developers are just accepting the status quo, which is a bad thing.
kick wrote:Take the current ALSA and fuse it with the 64-bit FP SW mixer from OSS4, integrate JACK2 into the mix (for ridiculously low latencies and advanced connectivity) and you have the perfect Linux audio system :)
Something along those lines would probably be a good idea.
It doesn't, it'd be retarded to think that it does.
I wouldn't be surprised if people start saying that PulseAudio's 5-10% CPU usage gives your CPU more MHz, so using it makes your computer faster.
Those are the same fellows, no?

Anyways, this is the "PulseAudio propaganda machine" referred to in the article. These guys are going around everywhere saying how PA which is 3 extra layers over everything else makes stuff faster and better. And yeah right, the guy says PA gives him 0 latency, as if such a thing exists. Maybe PA comes with a time machine too.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by gllt »

Nach wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if people start saying that PulseAudio's 5-10% CPU usage gives your CPU more MHz, so using it makes your computer faster.
Taking notes from your sister, Nach?`
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

gllt wrote:
Nach wrote:
Taking notes from your sister, Nach?`
No, taking notes from propaganda being spewed out there.

BTW, that's a paraquote of what the original author responded in the comments.

link
Yeah, and the PulseAudio dev and his cronies going around saying how it reduces latency is funny too. Next they're going to say that PulseAudio's 5-10% CPU usage actually gives your CPU more MHz, so running PulseAudio actually reduces load and makes the rest of your machines faster.

Post by adventure_of_link »

Nach wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:Good to know they're working on the state of sound in Linux. :)
Well yes and no, too many Linux developers are just accepting the status quo, which is a bad thing.
Ugh *facepalm*
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Another major problem that propagates PulseAudio are the six or seven people in the world with twelve computers in their home that like to stream audio from their server in the bedroom to the media center in the living room.

Apparently having the media player just access the music files directly from a shared folder is too difficult, and much too bandwidth effective.

Since apparently that solution works well for them, it should definitely be the norm! Never mind the fact that most people, even if they have more than one computer, almost certainly don't network them together.

You know, a KaZaA style P2P network built into ZSNES to automatically search and share save states with others around the world would certainly be cool from a technological perspective, but it's still a stupid fucking idea at the end of the day when we already have vastly superior methods at our disposal.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu wrote:Another major problem that propagates PulseAudio are the six or seven people in the world with twelve computers in their home that like to stream audio from their server in the bedroom to the media center in the living room.
Sounds nifty, but practically useless.
You know, a KaZaA style P2P network built into ZSNES to automatically search and share save states with others around the world would certainly be cool from a technological perspective, but it's still a stupid fucking idea at the end of the day when we already have vastly superior methods at our disposal.
Other than saying a frontend would be better for that, I think cheats would be better than save states. That way, we can make cheat searching easy as Pokemon!
jdratlif
Regular

Post by jdratlif »

Is anyone using OSS4 with KDE4. When I tried to change, it said I no longer had a sound card and it stopped working.

I don't know how to change the Phonon backend, which I think is using xine, but I thought that wasn't a problem any longer.

I would like to try OSS4, and I got it working (at least the osstest worked), but it's not working in KDE. I'm not sure, but I think it made mplayer crash too, but that might've been the newer svn revision. I didn't test them independently before I reverted to ALSA.

I'm running gentoo, btw.
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog
http://games.technoplaza.net/ - Emulation Goodies