Netplay questions

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Minerva

Netplay questions

Post by Minerva »

So, I downloaded the 1.42 version of ZSNES, since that's the last working version of Netplay, and had my friend to the same. My friend lives in Pittsburg, while I live in DC--so we obviously had to use Hamachi to direct connect our PCs. So, that's all fine and dandy, we figure things out on our own from there, we get into the chatroom and my friend starts our Mario game--And it all goes in the crapper from there.

As soon as the game starts--ohmygod the lag is horrifying. It drops us down to something in the vicinity of 5-10 FPS. We've tried adjusting the latency, we've gone all the way through the 1-19 spectrum, that didn't work.

Then we disabled the back buffer. We unpaused, and it ran normally for a few seconds--then when back to being crappy as hell. We paused again, looked.. and sure as day, the damn 'Back Buffer', whatever the hell that is, turned itself back on again! Why? I'm using an AirFlo controller, and he's using a keyboard.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Not all games are friendly with the Netplay system... that's the best I can tell you. I would suggest trying a different game altogether and see if it produces different results.

Try connecting with UDP instead of TCP or vice versa and see if that improves the situation.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

We'll try another game, but I was pretty sure All Stars would be a dead-on hit.

What baffles me is why the Back Buffer turns itself off after I disable it, however.
sprout
-Burninated-

Post by sprout »

how long does it take to set 2 ppl
never did this before
[-SpRoUt-]
Master O
Hazed

Re: Netplay questions

Post by Master O »

Minerva wrote:So, I downloaded the 1.42 version of ZSNES, since that's the last working version of Netplay, and had my friend to the same. My friend lives in Pittsburg, while I live in DC--so we obviously had to use Hamachi to direct connect our PCs. So, that's all fine and dandy, we figure things out on our own from there, we get into the chatroom and my friend starts our Mario game--And it all goes in the crapper from there.

As soon as the game starts--ohmygod the lag is horrifying. It drops us down to something in the vicinity of 5-10 FPS. We've tried adjusting the latency, we've gone all the way through the 1-19 spectrum, that didn't work.

Then we disabled the back buffer. We unpaused, and it ran normally for a few seconds--then when back to being crappy as hell. We paused again, looked.. and sure as day, the damn 'Back Buffer', whatever the hell that is, turned itself back on again! Why? I'm using an AirFlo controller, and he's using a keyboard.
Minerva, I would strongly recommend using Zsnes 1.36 for any netplay games, instead of 1.42.

1.42's netplay coding is a bit flaky with certain games.
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....