Buying a Monitor

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Given I EXPLICITY SAID older consoles, yeah. I was.
managed to miss that part.

but on the flip side of that coin, you can't expect BC to last forever. as unfortunate as it may be.

but there's got to be a box that those can be run through by now.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

franpa wrote:Hello everyone I was also looking into LCD monitors as I do like the clarity good LCD screens give and I think my CRT has been slowly getting duller over the past year :(. Could you guys please help me in choosing a good one for $250 - $350 AUD? I have heard LG monitors tend to have hopeless colour reproduction and stuff. I don't know much about LCD monitors but I do know that the following are things to look out for, also further below are 2 monitors that have caught my eye so far.

Viewing angle
Resolution
Anti Glare
response time
weight
I don't need speakers/cameras and other poor crap that are integrated in some.

23” 2ms DVI WS LG 2353V-PF Full HD HDMI
Product link -> http://www.lge.com/uk/it-products/monit ... W2353V.jsp

$299.

23.6” 5ms DVI HD Viewsonic 2423W
Product link -> http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/pr ... 82&s=specs

$284.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sweener2001 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: Given I EXPLICITY SAID older consoles, yeah. I was.
managed to miss that part.

but on the flip side of that coin, you can't expect BC to last forever. as unfortunate as it may be.
But see, this has nothing to do with a changed standard or backwards-compatibility. NTSC now is the same standard it was in 1953.
And if you use RGB outputs...

It's about digitizers and firmware with an excessively limited range of accepted frequencies and overly-excitable deinterlacing routines.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

funkyass wrote:Transformers shows written in NA are the best.
RID was nice due to how silly it was. :D

But yeah, generally you're right. I wonder when they'll hire a decent writer for the Japanese series'.... If ever.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i'd pick the viewsonic monitor.

more solid brand

i did not look at the links
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Is there a way to remove/counter the mirror reflections that are apparent on HP monitors? at stores the displays are at one end of the store and the HP ones clearly reflect things from the opposite side of the store. Samsung, Acer, LG etc. don't have any where near as massive a reflection.

The HP monitors have a vastly more colourful display though :/ which is why I want to know if the reflections can be countered? turning off all external light sources won't work since my face will reflect from the light given off by the monitor!
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Then turn off the lights AND rip your own head off.

They make kits for that.

I think.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

It's a glossy display. you can;'t do anything about it at all.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

And judging image quality by a store display is about the WORST thing you can do.

So what if HP displays ship with the color over-saturated and a bit too much red? You think that makes them BETTER?
Then buy the cheapest display you can find, crank up the brightness, and crank up the color. That's what the menu... well, it's not what the menu is THERE for, but it can be abused for that purpose.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

So what if HP displays ship with the color over-saturated and a bit too much red? You think that makes them BETTER?
They appear more natural/lifelike. Not too red or green or anything, all the other brands where dull in comparison. I'll probably get a Samsung P2350 either late next week or the week after.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I like to overshoot the brightness, as it were. See what the brightest monitor is in store, so I can always adjust down (they'll all be cranked to max) to a more comfortable level, and give me more playing room for color adjustments.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Something I always wondered about, why the fuck are the factory settings always maxing the fucking brightness

(for reference I usually tune them to 10/100 or less for proper picture brightness as in "i can see the dark shades of grey")

On the other hand, factory contrast is way low. stupids.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

grinvader wrote:Something I always wondered about, why the fuck are the factory settings always maxing the fucking brightness

(for reference I usually tune them to 10/100 or less for proper picture brightness as in "i can see the dark shades of grey")

On the other hand, factory contrast is way low. stupids.
they're tuned (and i use the term loosely) for super-bright showroom floors - since when they're put out on demo, they're usually left at factory settings.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

grinvader wrote:Something I always wondered about, why the fuck are the factory settings always maxing the fucking brightness

I usually tune them to 10/100 or less for proper picture brightness as in "i can see the dark shades of grey
Newer (16:9 full HD) panels are even worse (read: waaaay too bright) :D You have to set both brightness and contrast levels to 0/100 to obtain a brightness level that's acceptable for text editing / web browsing in normal lighting conditions.
Last edited by kick on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

kick wrote:

I usually tune them to 10/100 or less for proper picture brightness as in "i can see the dark shades of grey
Newer (16:9 full HD) panels are even worse (read: waaaay too bright) :D You have to set both brightness and contrast levels to 0/100 to obtain a brightness level that's acceptable for text editing / web browsing.
I'm assuming that its based on preference and ambient light? Or preset for say showroom / store display?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

the nice thing about my monitor is it has proper brightness and contrast controls, but it has an actual backlight power control. So I can have properly calibrated digital brightness and contrast, but not have to stare at the sun.