Case fan dust issue

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

kieran_
Mugwump

Case fan dust issue

Post by kieran_ »

I have a coolermaster CM690, which is a fine case. Comes with three fans, front, back and one on the side. The side fan is the one i'm having issues with. It is an intake fan, and while it is very good at reducing temps (makes my mobo 5 degrees cooler while idle) it brings dust into the case. The top of my gtx260 216 has a thin layer of dust on it, and the system is only about 3 weeks old! Also, the grating on the case, in front of the fan, gets dusty as well. Is this all par for the course? Is there anything that I can do to prevent this? I'd like to keep the fan, as it does keep things nice and cool, but i'm dreading the dustiness of the case after a few months.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Dust is not a function of a specific fan. Dust is in the air and will get in your case with any fan. You can get a fan filter. That would probably help. You can just wipe it off or change it out every so often. It sounds like the air in your home is dustier than normal, but that could be from a variety of reasons, many of which are probably beyond your control.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

in addition to nc's thoughts -

keeping the room/area clean (vacuumed if carpeted, dust-free otherwise) will help control the amount of dust.

unfortunately, the trade-off for drastically improved ventilation (and therefore cooling potential) is an equally greater opportunity for dust ingress. it's a necessary evil.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

You can get fan filters as suggested by Nightcrawler.

If you have soft porous foam lying about (the sort that's sometimes used in shipping boxes), you can always cut a square and insert it between the plastic and the metal of the case.