Saving...

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ejdjmb

Saving...

Post by ejdjmb »

I just have a quick question regarding saving. I have a 13" laptop that I have a few saves on that I would like to play on my desktop when at home. Is it possible to transfer a save file to my desktop and play my saved game there? Sorry if this question has been answered already, I looked at the faq that talked about save states.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Save files have the SRM extension... Savestates have the ZST extension. Search for them on your comp and you should be able to find them and copy/move them to the other comp/laptop.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ejdjmb

Post by ejdjmb »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but which ones should I be looking for? The .zst or the srm?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Ideally, you would want to get BOTH.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ejdjmb

Post by ejdjmb »

Alright, I have the files that I believe make up my safe file on my desktop. I'm confused as to how to load these files into zsnes on my desktop however. The only method of loading saves I know of is through save states, is there some other way to open these files? I have them in my zsnes folder I just don't know how to access them within the program itself.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

load the appropriate game and press F3. that is how to choose a save state (if any are present) and press F4 to load, F2 to save.

SRM files are the games normal save game, so use the games load game mechanic instead of the emulators.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
ejdjmb

Post by ejdjmb »

Thanks for the reply, I believe I'm trying to load a save state, but the problem is when I press "pick state" it only gives me those slots. I can't find an option to search through my computer for the file; I don't believe any of the files I just loaded on here are associated with any of those slots. Is there any way to search out the .zst file so I can load it? Also, when I press load game it only gives me the option to play a .srm version of the game and a .zip version of the game which both have no "continue game" option. I'm pretty confused.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It does you a lot of good to do the following:

1) Create a folder for saved games and savestates (just store both in the same folder for simplicity).

2) Define the save directory in ZSNES (Config->Paths). You MUST do this for both comps.

3) Put/copy/whatever all the SRM and ZST files in that save directory.
ejdjmb

Post by ejdjmb »

I actually did do that, I have a folder specifically named saves in my zsnes folder and I put the files in there. I also used paths to tell the emulator to look in that file, however whenever I look to use an .srm file from that file (my other comp's stuff), it doesn't seem to recognize it. I can only get one file to load. Also, if I put my save state files in that same folder how does the emulator know which "slot #" to put them under? Thanks again
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Are you using the same ROMs? And do they share the same file-name?
For example, SuperMario.smc will use the game saves stored on SuperMario.srm and ZSNES will load the SuperMario.zst (or .zs# or .z##) save states.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SRM files are automatically loaded.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

And the slot number of a save state is dictated by the state's extension.

ZST, ZS1, ZS2, ... , ZS9, Z10, Z11, ... , Z99 if I'm not mistaken.

As long as the file name matches the ROM image name, ZSNES will automatically figure out what states go in what slot.

Note that you MUST load the game before you can use in-game saves OR state saves. You CANNOT load SRM or ZST files directly from the load screen.
ejdjmb

Post by ejdjmb »

Thanks a lot for the replies, I'm going to try all of this. I'll report back when I have it figured out.
ejdjmb

Post by ejdjmb »

Quick question: So if I wanted a save state to work with 1, I would rename it with a zs1 file extension? Or should it already have that extension? Thanks again, I know I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

ejdjmb wrote:So if I wanted a save state to work with 1, I would rename it with a zs1 file extension?
Yes...
ejdjmb wrote:Or should it already have that extension?
If you saved to slot 1 then yes, the save state file would have the "zs1" extension.

Is it really that hard?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
ejdjmb

Post by ejdjmb »

I finally got it, thank you guys for all your help. I know you probably get annoying questions like this all the time.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Naw. Usually they're typo-ridden, un-puctuated, marginally legible questions.

And the person asking is a terminal idiot incapable of following simple instructions that is PROUD of the fact that they aren't a nerd like us and don't understand such advanced concepts as opening Windows Explorer.

So this, this is a breath of fresh air. You are what we want of all newbies.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hey, I want newbies to give us cookies ! ;_;
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54