Sony announces PS3 slim and price drop

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

snkcube
Hero of Time

Sony announces PS3 slim and price drop

Post by snkcube »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015007p1.html

The worst kept announcement has been announced. The PS3 slim is smaller, draws less power and comes with a 120 GB hard drive. There's also a price drop to $299 starting tomorrow.

It still kind of looks like a grill though.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
kode54
Zealot

Re: Sony announces PS3 slim and price drop

Post by kode54 »

Playstation Games & Media News wrote:Removal of Install Other OS feature
The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system.
AHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHA HAHA HAHA
HAHA
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Finally I might actually start thinking about buying a PS3.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

kode54 wrote:
The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system.
AHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHA HAHA HAHA
HAHA
OMG THEY ACTUALLY DID AWAY WITH THAT?! ROFFLES
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I.S.T. wrote:
kode54 wrote:
AHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHA HAHA HAHA
HAHA
OMG THEY ACTUALLY DID AWAY WITH THAT?! ROFFLES
Actually an important point to someone I know on the Internets, who says the PS3 only has one game and that Loonix is the only good feature it has.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I won't be buying it now. No backwards compatibility and now no Linux = no thanks. Wouldn't buy the slim for $199 with those two features gone. Guess I'll skip this generation, too.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

snkcube wrote:http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015007p1.html

The worst kept announcement has been announced. The PS3 slim is smaller, draws less power and comes with a 120 GB hard drive. There's also a price drop to $299 starting tomorrow.

Gee wow, who didn't see this one coming.

On another note, the PSThree came out sooner than I expected though (given PSOne and Two came out ~5-6 years after their larger version came out)... :shock: maybe the slumping economy and the $599 USD price tag (for PS3) made them push it out sooner? :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

adventure_of_link wrote:maybe the slumping economy and the $599 USD price tag (for PS3) made them push it out sooner? :?
It's actually $399 for the 80GB SKU and $499 for the 160GB SKU.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

adventure_of_link wrote:
snkcube wrote:http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015007p1.html

Gee wow, who didn't see this one coming.

On another note, the PSThree came out sooner than I expected though (given PSOne and Two came out ~5-6 years after their larger version came out)... :shock: maybe the slumping economy and the $599 USD price tag (for PS3) made them push it out sooner? :?
Not the PSThree. the PS3 Slim. I expect the PS3 to come in a few more years.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

They would still have to convince me there is a game worth buying the system for. I'm interested in LittleBigPlanet, but I am not dropping $300 for one game. As far as I am concerned, there is no system seller for the PS3.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I have prinnies saying the contrary, dood.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

adventure_of_link wrote: On another note, the PSThree came out sooner than I expected though (given PSOne and Two came out ~5-6 years after their larger version came out)... :shock: maybe the slumping economy and the $599 USD price tag (for PS3) made them push it out sooner? :?
It might have had something to do with this
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

byuu wrote:I won't be buying it now. No backwards compatibility and now no Linux = no thanks. Wouldn't buy the slim for $199 with those two features gone. Guess I'll skip this generation, too.
I have a 80GB PS3 Fat with software backwards compatibility, which I've used successfully. Oh, and it supports Linux, which I couldn't give two shits about since the built-in functionality is sufficient.

Only cost about $499 bundled with MGS 4, which I'll probably never play. Maybe you can try your luck and see if anyone is still selling that bundle and hope it comes with a backwards compatible system.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:I have prinnies saying the contrary, dood.
Prinnies will rock your world either way, so I'm not sure if that's a very sound argument for the rest of us.

Then again, I've been wrong before.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

uncharted, infamous, valkyria chronicles, ratchet & clank, the aforementioned lbp...

and for cross-platform games - burnout paradise, rock band 2, blazblue and sf4 (which are almost impossible to play with stock 360 pads, btw)

i've got a 60gb ps3 (w/ hardware backwards compatibility and now a 400gb drive that i got on sale for $60) and i'm VERY pleased with it.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

I hate technology.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Cigar Face wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote: On another note, the PSThree came out sooner than I expected though (given PSOne and Two came out ~5-6 years after their larger version came out)... :shock: maybe the slumping economy and the $599 USD price tag (for PS3) made them push it out sooner? :?
ULTIMATEROLLEYESSMILEY

You seriously think this was not in the cards for a while now? The PS3 is expensive to produce. the PS3 Slim will cut costs by a fair bit.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

I.S.T. wrote:
Cigar Face wrote:
ULTIMATEROLLEYESSMILEY

You seriously think this was not in the cards for a while now? The PS3 is expensive to produce. the PS3 Slim will cut costs by a fair bit.

Oh no, I'm not saying that after what activison said Sony went and pulled the ps3 portable out of their arses. Of course it must have been on the agenda for quite some time, way before the whole activison thing happened.

All I'm saying is that like AOL, this whole thing sounds rushed to me.
Honestly, when was the last time Sony released a product like this practically out of the blue?
I mean, Sony’s officially announced it now, and it gets released in September. That’s not like Sony at all.
Usually, they announce they're releasing something, then they give us six or more months of ads, speeches and all sorts of shit to create hype for their products, then they finally release their product.

I just find it tad unusual that they've changed tacts when it comes to how they announce and then release something. And I think considering the timing, the activison announcement may have played a role in the ps3 slims September release.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Well, I felt it as rushed because normally a Sony console is on the market for five years, then gets a slimmed design, and continues to the end of the lifespan.

PSP and PS3 seem to be failing, since now it's three years and they slim it down.

On another note, didn't Franky claim you can use bigger HDDs in the PS3? :? also when I was talking $599 USD I was talking about the initial launch price. I didn't say that's how much it costs now.

Either way, I have no reason (yet) to own one of those big behemoths. I'm fine with my wii.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

adventure_of_link wrote:On another note, didn't Franky claim you can use bigger HDDs in the PS3? :?
odditude wrote:i've got a 60gb ps3 (w/ hardware backwards compatibility and now a 400gb drive that i got on sale for $60)
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.

Post by 1111 »

a a a
Last edited by 1111 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

You can use bigger HDs.

As I said before, this is a temporary step done because the PS3 is expensive to make. a true PSThree will come out later, I'm sure.

Also, this thing has been rumored for at least two months now. I think Sony has changed their tactics a bit given the PSP, while not a failure, is not making the sales they want it to(It's massively popular in Japan, mostly due to Monster Hunter and stuff like that, but in the US? Not so much. Can't speak for european sales). The PS3 is a sink hole of cash as well. I really think Sony thought it'd A. Sell more and B. Go down in manufacturing cost quicker, much quicker.

Plus, as usual, they had grand plans for it that didn't work out. if you go back and read some stuff from just after it came out, you'll find Sony execs, including KK that crazy bastard, talking about how they thought of it as a computer, with different models eventually becoming available(One having more RAM, maybe, another having a faster GPU by way of clocks peed increases, etc.). Hell, the fact that they've taken out a large portion of the functionality of the damn thing should be evidence of that...
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I.S.T. wrote:Hell, the fact that they've taken out a large portion of the functionality of the damn thing should be evidence of that...
Linux and two USB ports. They already eliminated flash memory slots and PS2 backwards compatibility with existing systems.

I suppose Linux does count as a large portion of functionality, if you go for that sort of thing.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Shadow Bone wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:On another note, didn't Franky claim you can use bigger HDDs in the PS3
I heard an SSD can work in a PS3.
They sure can work with the PS3.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

odditude wrote:and for cross-platform games - burnout paradise, rock band 2, blazblue and sf4 (which are almost impossible to play with stock 360 pads, btw)
mirror's edgeeeeeeee

because having legs is overrated
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54