Sim Earth - Map Mode won't display properly

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

bfoxwuhan

Sim Earth - Map Mode won't display properly

Post by bfoxwuhan »

Everything for Sim Earth works beautifully in ZSNES except the Map in Map Mode. When you hit the button to display the map you can see it tries to display it but then just shows black with a strip of color on the top. Edit mode and globe mode displays just fine. Other SNES emulators are able to display the map in map mode just fine, but they do not have the feature that allows accelerating the emulation by up to x30 which is desperately needed for this slow going game. I've tried ZSNES in both windows and LInux Ubuntu and in both OS's the same problem occurs.
"Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class — whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy." -Frank Herbert
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

SnesGT has two fast forward modes and displays most, if not all games, properly. Not to mention overall emulation is much better and is easy on CPU resources.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Huh... the graphics on BG2 look like this:

A mosaic size of 2x2 is used to fill the empty lines. If ZSNES' mosaic implementation somehow has a "off by 1" bug it would repeat the black lines instead.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

Yes, you have to emulate the mosaic BG line counters as described by TRAC for it to show up correctly.
bfoxwuhan

Post by bfoxwuhan »

So is there a way to patch or tweak the video settings in ZSNES to overcome the black lines repeating instead of the map lines?
"Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class — whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy." -Frank Herbert
bfoxwuhan

Post by bfoxwuhan »

nintendo_nerd wrote:SnesGT has two fast forward modes and displays most, if not all games, properly. Not to mention overall emulation is much better and is easy on CPU resources.
I'll give SnesGT a try.... thanks!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

bfoxwuhan wrote:So is there a way to patch or tweak the video settings in ZSNES to overcome the black lines repeating instead of the map lines?
ZSNES needs to emulate that specific hardware feature.
You'd also have to add another global variable, which would affect savestates.

Info can be found in this text file: link (search for "mosaic")
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

bfoxwuhan wrote: I'll give SnesGT a try.... thanks!
Here's a link to the most recent beta (0.230b6) click on where it says サイズ or size (407.3KB, right in the middle, where it shows the only English on the page) http://gigo.retrogames.com/bbs/c-board. ... 4;id=#1074
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Jonas Quinn
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Jonas Quinn »

It's already fixed in SVN.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

But SVN is still not for users. Before anyone asks. And gets accidentally emasculated.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54