Mistubishi Megaview 37 XC-3716C Resolution Issues

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

bigbird1962

Mistubishi Megaview 37 XC-3716C Resolution Issues

Post by bigbird1962 »

Hello...I picked up a mammoth 37" monitor for $50. It works great using composite or s-vid inputs, but I really want the RGB/VGA to work right. I slapped a HD15 to 5 BNC cable on it and my PC would sync up ok at 800x600, but any higher either won't sync or splits to two desktops. The other input is a db15 connector, using a HD15 to DB15 adapter no signal at all. Do any of you have one of these huge multisync monitors that can help me get this working right? I need to get it displaying properly first and then move on to using it for HTPC and emulation/gaming.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I can't find docs or a monitor .inf file on this thing to save my life!

Have a good one!

John
12 PC's + Networked house + 3 Kids= ONE MAJOR HEADACHE!!!!
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

What's hd15 and how does it differ from a db15 connector? I assume you're referring to VGA for both but you're unclear. Also, do you know the maximum resolution for this monitor? Also, windows might be trying the wrong resolution. This sounds like a fairly old monitor so it might not have ddc/edid and windows might be trying some insane refresh rate. Sorry I can't be of more help. If you have an ATi or nvidia gpu the control panel should let you adjust sync options.
bigbird1962

Connector ID's & more info

Post by bigbird1962 »

A DB15 connector has 15 pins, 8 pins over 7 (looks like a PC joystick connector) A HD15 connector is the VGA connector we all know and love, 15 pins in 3 rows. BNC connections are like RCA composite connectors only twistlock. The monitor is supposed to go to 1280x1024 @ 75HZ. When I use it as a TV on either a Nvidia 6200 or a ATI HD2600 over the composite inputs it displays fine, at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, but with typical lack of detail compared to VGA/RGB. I can change the resolution in either desktop properties or the control apps but it will not sync.

Horizontal sync 15-39.5 KHZ
Vertical sync 40-120 KHZ

This thing should be able to lock up anything I throw at it. I want to use a YPbPr component converter and a HDFURY HDMI to RGBHV unit in the future if I can get this working right.

I am currently using a HD15 to 5 BNC cable that was NOS from a Mac dealer. But the pinouts should be the same to pull the R-G-B and horizontal vertical sync out to the monitor. I have it set to 75 OHMS and NOT to sync on green for those of you familiar with RGBHV over 5 BNC projectors and monitors.

Hopefully one of you guys that is familiar with these systems will see this. I do not have a monitor .inf file for XP for this thing, I do need one to get rid of "unknown monitor".

It still looks better even at 800x600 than the damn yellow plug, but it would be better yet at 1280x1024.

Thanks
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

if it's anything like the 37" Zenith monitors i have at work, it only supports up to 800x600.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

My Megaview (3315C) only supports 800*600, officially.

I've heard of them being pushable beyond that(to 1024*768... and even beyond!), but not mine.
A lot of the web info on them is flat-out WRONG. I'd be very skeptical of the official max res being anything higher than 1024*768(and I did see some claiming my model's official max was 1280*1024. Took a good bit of headache-inducing research to find USEFUL AND ACCURATE information).

That said... the thing probably needs some maintainence regardless(new caps if nothing else). Haruhi knows mine does.

And the Megaview's DSub 15 pinout is NOT the same as the Mac's DSub 15. Your adapter is wired incorrectly for your application.

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=55.0 has the pinout you need.

http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/mac_video.html has the pinout you HAVE.

Note the differences.

Grab your soldering iron and get crackin'!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:(new caps if nothing else)
OH SO EXPLOITABLE
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
bigbird1962

Post by bigbird1962 »

Thanks for the info on that DB15 connector. At this point I can't afford to put it into the shop for cap replacement but I'm not just going to trash it when it does fail. I know i saw a DB15>HD15 cables and adapters online so i guess I'll have to order one of them for the RGB 2 input. I should scout out a few local repair shops that can work on this thing and get a quote on refreshing the boards. The online vendors did at least mention that they were for NEC multisync not MAC . I just don't trust my soldering skills, the some goes for bad caps on motherboards.
Most appreciated. Cuts down on my frustration level a bit.
bigbird1962

Got it sorted for the moment!

Post by bigbird1962 »

Thanks for the advice Gil and Eric. I chopped up that incorrect DB15 to HD15
adapter I picked up that was pinned out for a MAC. After kludging up a cable donated from a crappy little VGA monitor and the DB15 half of the adapter I hooked up to RGB2 input. The monitor displays S-VGA in the OSD and the picture is even a little better than the HD15 to 5 BNC RGB1 input. I have yet to try my Amiga 500 on the CGA/TTL DB9 input...what a shock that would be compared to a 1084 Commodore monitor.
Now for the bad news.....sort of....I now have a huge new project on my plate. All i was trying to do was get a little information about the monitor that I was going to use for my HTPC on the cheap. I got the help I needed, and discovered how far things have come in the emulation arena. I have had Amiga Forever....for like....forever and never really set it up. I have all the Amiga ROMS. NOW, thanks to this and other fine forums I'm going to have to set up some MAME machines. I have old systems sitting idle on the shelf doing nothing...now they have a purpose. There is a NEC 29" KV2940 with remote for sale locally for dirt. I'll have to spend hours with N-Lite building stripped XP disks, testing on Virtual PC, etc. and probly loving every minute of it. I'm sure I'll be asking for advice but the FAQ's and WIKI'S seem to have things covered. I'll keep reading and let you know how things work out, but I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated getting pointed in the right direction.