Overheat questions....

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:
odditude wrote:you frenchmen and your damn logic
Nah, the fun part is enlarging the system so that in includes the plant powering the cooling system - a non-negligeable part of the entropy goes there, leaving your local room not-so-much-warmer and the computer itself cooler.
*insert "The More You Know" pic here*
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Que
saskatchewanite

Post by Que »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:If this was not happening before, your system had utterly abysmal cooling and I'm quite surprised nothing melted down.
XD Me too, the motherboard used to idle around 37-40C and under load would reach close to 50C. I've always had the scythe so the CPU wasn't overheated. I'll never again stuff a full size ATX motherboard into a pint sized asus value case, I almost blew this baby up.
everything i say is a lie
the above line is true
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Que wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:If this was not happening before, your system had utterly abysmal cooling and I'm quite surprised nothing melted down.
XD Me too, the motherboard used to idle around 37-40C and under load would reach close to 50C. I've always had the scythe so the CPU wasn't overheated.
Like hell it wasn't.

A heatsink doesn't magically make things cooler. It makes it easier to transfer heat to the surrounding air. If that air is ALREADY as hot as you claim... well, you won't be dumping any heat into it.

There is a small "reservoir" effect, but it is not a primary function, except in heatsinks with very large metal content. These high-metal sinks are not popular, because they also suck at getting heat back OUT.

The reservoir effect is minimal by design, because if you're actually filling that reservoir then something's gone terribly wrong.

The Ninja, like most heat sinks, is designed to MOVE heat, not STORE heat.