will there be 64-bit support for zsnes 2?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

monkey_man

will there be 64-bit support for zsnes 2?

Post by monkey_man »

at present, i am unable to play many games because my system is 64-bits. :cry:

will there be 64-bit support in the future? Or emulators aren't bothered with 64-bits...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

ZSNES runs fine under 64 bit OSs. There really is no need for ZSNES to be 64 bit.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

In the future, probably.

However, if you're running 64-bit, it's more than enough for ZSNES.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

snkcube wrote:ZSNES runs fine under 64 bit OSs. There really is no need for ZSNES to be 64 bit.
Under Windows and OS X this is absolutely true, it makes no difference. But under Linux it's a bit of an issue. Distros like Ubuntu don't ship with 32-bit run-time libraries by default.

When I tried running 32-bit Firefox I had to apt-get about two dozen 32-bit libraries (just ia32-libs was not enough), and I never did get it all working well. It couldn't use my GTK+ theme info, couldn't go online, spit thousands of errors on the command line ... a real mess.

Duplicate all that and your entire compiler, headers, libraries, etc if you want to build something.

Plus I don't like the idea of having all that for one application. That said, I used to like running ZSNES in DOSBox for the nice debugger, but I may have been using a 32-bit distro at the time. If DOSBox has a 64-bit build, that would work.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:In the future, probably.
That's a mighty bold statement right there.

Much closer to lottery-winning-probably than my-foot-kicking-a-cat-probably.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:

Find a cat lady. Then, it's a sure bet. :D
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

grinvader wrote:

Rumour has it that Windows 8 will be creeping by sometime around 2012 and may be a 128 bit OS and if not Windows 9 will be. Moving past a 32 bit version may be closer than you think.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Cyrus wrote:
grinvader wrote:

Rumour has it that Windows 8 will be creeping by sometime around 2012 and may be a 128 bit OS and if not Windows 9 will be. Moving past a 32 bit version may be closer than you think.
128-bit is not going to happen by 2012, from what I understand of it it won't even be practical for a long time yet. I doubt it will even happen in windows 9.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

dfreer wrote:
Cyrus wrote:
grinvader wrote:

128-bit is not going to happen by 2012, from what I understand of it it won't even be practical for a long time yet. I doubt it will even happen in windows 9.
agreed. Hell it was hard enough transitioning from 32 bits to 64.

Also HOW long has 32 bits been out for?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Cyrus wrote:
grinvader wrote:

We totally care about windows versions to recode ten-thousands of lines of code.

Oh wait, not.
Because every processor and its mother will have enough virtualisation layers to run 32bits binaries with the correct setup (@byuu: fuck Ubuntu, they don't ship with anything by default).
adventure_of_link wrote:Also HOW long has 32 bits been out for?
Only 24 years now.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

grinvader wrote:
Only 24 years now.
yeah that's what I thought. So yeah, I don't think we're gonna be seeing 128 bits for awhile. Better enjoy 64 bits while you can cuz they're not going away anytime soon.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

The only thing that is really moving the 64-bit transition now is increased addressing for more memory and peripherals. If 32-bit were still sufficient for this, 64-bit still wouldn't be catching on. I imagine much of the same will occur. We will have to start utilizing all 64-bit can offer us and start exceeding it's capacity before there is any serious movement to 128 bit.

AMD64 has been out for how many years now and went nowhere fast (as far as 64-bit is concerned)?

We are seeing diminishing returns for each generation increase, much like we do for consoles. 8-bit to 16-bit was huge. 16-bit to 32-bit was big, but not quite the leap 16-bit was. Now we're going 64-bit. Less of an impact than 32-bit. I imagine when we finally hit 128-bit, it will be about the same or slightly less.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Nightcrawler wrote:The only thing that is really moving the 64-bit transition now is increased addressing for more memory and peripherals.
I would think the fact it is included with all purchases of Windows 7 and is available for more editions of Windows 7 are the reason.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

grinvader wrote:
Only 24 years now.
But how long before 32-bit programming was actually commonplace?
I remember it not being pushed much until Win95.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

There were quite a few games using protected mode (via DOS4/G and other DOS extenders).
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

KingMike wrote:
grinvader wrote:
Only 24 years now.
But how long before 32-bit programming was actually commonplace?
I remember it not being pushed much until Win95.
nt 3.1, the only os you'd want to use on your brand spankin' new pentium pro box!

and +1 for dos/4gw and cwsdpmi all over the place in the early early '90s
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Under Windows and OS X this is absolutely true, it makes no difference. But under Linux it's a bit of an issue. Distros like Ubuntu don't ship with 32-bit run-time libraries by default.
I consider that to be a problem for the sadists and masochists that run Linux, rather then for the zsnes developers to overcome.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
byuu

Post by byuu »

Virtualization would solve the issue of compatibility, but non-native execution (eg dynarec) would just tack on yet another layer of latency. It's actually somewhat noticeable when I ran ZSNES in DOSbox for the debugger. Or when I run Super Game Boy games.
grinvader wrote:(@byuu: fuck Ubuntu, they don't ship with anything by default).
Except PulseAudio :(
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

ok, "anything fine".
皆黙って俺について来い!!

badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I really see no benefit of moving to 128 bit processors, unless you are doing heavy duty math that requires ultra high precision. And even then, most scientists use FORTRAN 77 still, which only has 64 bit math as a non-standard extension by IBM. Really, going beyond 64 bit is unnecessary for all by the most niche things (video games may be one of those, but regular computer applications that most people have are not one of them).
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

There's also the fact that it's relatively easy to implement daisy-chains operations to get pseudo-huge size variables for extra precision thing at a mild cpu time cost - which is cheaper and cheaper with each generation.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I remember Pagefault releasing a prototype of a 64 bit version of ZSNES. I didn't download it...I regret it.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

franpa wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:The only thing that is really moving the 64-bit transition now is increased addressing for more memory and peripherals.
I would think the fact it is included with all purchases of Windows 7 and is available for more editions of Windows 7 are the reason.
Windows 7 has been out for 3 weeks, unless you count the RTM and RC releases. Windows 7 has had little influence so far in my opinion because it's not even out there.

It will probably have influence as time goes along, but it has little to none so far on 64-bit adoption in the industry.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Nightcrawler wrote:
franpa wrote:
Windows 7 has been out for 3 weeks, unless you count the RTM and RC releases. Windows 7 has had little influence so far in my opinion because it's not even out there.

It will probably have influence as time goes along, but it has little to none so far on 64-bit adoption in the industry.
on the other hand, oems shipped pcs (both desktop and laptop) with vista x64 from day one. while still a fraction of total pcs shipped with vista, over almost three years it did create a statistically significant percentage of home pcs running x64.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I mean that Windows 7 has the greatest potential to push 64bit as 64bit is included with every retail purchase of home premium, pro, ultimate, enterprise editions. Where as with Vista it was only Ultimate and you could have either 32 or 64bit but not both for the one price, same with XP.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64