ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by pagefault »

So I am working on ZSNES 100% of my time now for the rewrite of something great after being laid off from my previous job which prevented me from working on ZSNES extensively (explains the lack of updates). So until I secure another job I will be doing this bribing ZSNES to the current standards and acceptance level the community desires. I am not asking for money as I stated before but donations at this point would be appreciated (so I guess I am asking for money?) I have had a tough time dealing with social media so take this as a give if you want to or don't but I am working now full time on ZSNES when previously I could not due to restrictions in previous agreements. All I can promise is great progress coming forward with the focus on this project.
Watering ur plants.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:So I am working on ZSNES 100% of my time now for the rewrite of something great after being laid off from my previous job which prevented me from working on ZSNES extensively (explains the lack of updates). So until I secure another job I will be doing this bribing ZSNES to the current standards and acceptance level the community desires. I am not asking for money as I stated before but donations at this point would be appreciated (so I guess I am asking for money?) I have had a tough time dealing with social media so take this as a give if you want to or don't but I am working now full time on ZSNES when previously I could not due to restrictions in previous agreements. All I can promise is great progress coming forward with the focus on this project.
I know what it's like to lose a job, it sucks, it's painful, but know this, we support you and stand with you all the way. Keep up the good work, man.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Where will you be accepting donations? Do you require just cash or will you accept donations of equipment or any games you might need for test?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

Good luck finding a new job Pagefault ^_^.
and thx for working on ZSNES again.

I'll donate again when I have a chance.
(PC Specs)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO
GPU: nVidia/EVGA RTX 3070 Ti 8GB
GFX Drivers: Nvidia v551.76
RAM: 32GB, 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4

Favorite Emulators:
PS2(x64): PCSX2 (Downloads)
SNES : ZSNES
N64 : Project64

ZSNES:
v1.51 (FuSoYa's 8MB fix R2)(Compiled Myself)
Cammygirl192
can't make up their mind

Post by Cammygirl192 »

Thanks pagefault for keeping work on ZSNES, can't wait for 2.0 to be finally released, too - although there is no rush to do it, remember :)
:3
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I have all the equipment I need right now but if you want to donate there is a link on the front page. Just to be clear this would be a donation and I'm not charging for ZSNES, I don't want that to get out of hand again. If you want to donate beer/pizza money then you can use that link and it would be more than appreciated.

Just a quick poll what do people use these days as a flash cart on the SNES? I need to get one and I'm still using an old floppy based one.
Watering ur plants.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I'm happy with my snes powerpak but I think you can't buy it anymore, and I hear sd2snes is really good, possibly even better since it has more special chip support. There's the snes everdrive but Idunno much about that one.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:I have all the equipment I need right now but if you want to donate there is a link on the front page. Just to be clear this would be a donation and I'm not charging for ZSNES, I don't want that to get out of hand again. If you want to donate beer/pizza money then you can use that link and it would be more than appreciated.

Just a quick poll what do people use these days as a flash cart on the SNES? I need to get one and I'm still using an old floppy based one.
The SD2SNES and Snes Everdrive are among the best and most compatible ones as far as I know, they're not cheap but dayum are they useful.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-cart ... -snes-sfc/
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I think i'm fine for special chip support I just want something that is fast to upload to maybe I guess a SD card is fine. I'll take a look these things are pricey for what they are I guess because of the low quantities they are produced in.
Watering ur plants.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

They are pretty expensive, but honestly to me this is one of those things I really feel like I got my money's worth out of, I haven't regretted it for a second. It was so great I actually bought a NES and N64 cart in addition to my SNES one (and they're not trivial expenses for me).

For the N64 you have the 64drive that you can actually plug into your PC via USB and directly run code with on the console, it's very development-friendly. But unfortunately I don't think there's such a thing for SNES, at least that I know of.
Realord
Rookie

Post by Realord »

Hey friends! Hello There!

It's been NINE years since the last download link. Isn't that great?

Best regards, from Brazil. See you next year (or maybe decade).

You guys are doing a great job... Or maybe...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:They are pretty expensive, but honestly to me this is one of those things I really feel like I got my money's worth out of, I haven't regretted it for a second. It was so great I actually bought a NES and N64 cart in addition to my SNES one (and they're not trivial expenses for me).

For the N64 you have the 64drive that you can actually plug into your PC via USB and directly run code with on the console, it's very development-friendly. But unfortunately I don't think there's such a thing for SNES, at least that I know of.
Trufax: I've been eying a Mega Everdrive or Everdrive MD for some time. That it does Genesis AND SMS games makes the cost less painful(and 32x, if I ever buy one).
The MED's SegaCD RAM cart function is just icing on the cake.

Also, it looks like the Super Everdrive has a USB connector option, though I'm unsure how useful it is.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I have both an Everdrive an a SD2SNES. If you can afford it, the SD2SNES has a huge advantage in that it has instantaneous loading of games. With an Everdrive, you have to wait a few seconds for the games to load (with a 32 Mb game, it can be up to a minute). If you are just loading up small test programs, I doubt that is a huge concern.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Also, it looks like the Super Everdrive has a USB connector option, though I'm unsure how useful it is.
Ah I missed that, looks like you have to solder in the port yourself though?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Also, it looks like the Super Everdrive has a USB connector option, though I'm unsure how useful it is.
Ah I missed that, looks like you have to solder in the port yourself though?
It is an optional board feature. It CAN be bought with the port attached.
But it usually isn't, because no one's actually using it as a dev tool and it's all about playing the games.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
Silensho
Eternal Witness

Post by Silensho »

Just posted to wish the very best to the project and its(her?) authors.

They have provided many people with wondrous moments and memories.
What?
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Update: I managed to get my hands on a SD2SNES for not cheap (don't ask). Gonna continue working on stuff now. I'm using it with a wifi SD card so it works perfectly for my needs. Shit it was expensive though I hope it doesn't fuck up. I'm gonna eat ramen for a while.
Watering ur plants.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

pagefault wrote:I'm using it with a wifi SD card
Holy crap, I didn't even know there was such a thing. Very very interesting. Are they expensive? Can you update files on it while the hardware is running?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

blackmyst wrote:
Holy crap, I didn't even know there was such a thing. Very very interesting. Are they expensive? Can you update files on it while the hardware is running?
they were introduced around the time DSLRs got big but SD card capacities hadn't (maybe '04-'05?) - it allowed you to keep your shoot going without having to swap SD cards every five minutes.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

pagefault wrote:Update: I managed to get my hands on a SD2SNES for not cheap (don't ask). Gonna continue working on stuff now. I'm using it with a wifi SD card so it works perfectly for my needs. Shit it was expensive though I hope it doesn't fuck up. I'm gonna eat ramen for a while.
Fair enough, take your time, man.
Last edited by nintendo_nerd on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:
blackmyst wrote:
they were introduced around the time DSLRs got big but SD card capacities hadn't (maybe '04-'05?) - it allowed you to keep your shoot going without having to swap SD cards every five minutes.
SDIO really targetted PDAs more than anything else. DSLRs tended to use CompactFlash for it's speed and capacity advantages.

Modern SD WiFi cards don't present as SDIO, though. They run a teeny tiny Linux machine, with the SD memory interface mapped into a network-shared partition. They are adorable(and in blatant violation of the GPL last I looked).
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

The GOOD SD cards are insanely expensive for sure, else I would've picked one up for personal use a long time ago. I'll probably get one eventually but when you have more important stuff to deal with it's hard to justify spending almost $200 on an SD card. I wish you well dude and I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labor.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

$200 for an SD card? How big is it, 1TB?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I assume he meant flash carts.

That said, it looks like the higher-quality 256 GB SD cards are around 200.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I assume he meant flash carts.

That said, it looks like the higher-quality 256 GB SD cards are around 200.
I briefly looked up SD2SNES and saw like a $190 pricetag when I made that post so yeah I mean the high-quality SD cards. I have never used one and don't really know anything about them, so there's a good chance I'm gonna use the wrong terminology quite often when talking about such things. If I ever decide to buy one though I might as well get one of the best available instead of some cheap piece of crap.